Favorite Boot?

I live and hunt in some of the roughest terrain there is in NM and always keep coming back to Lowa Tibet GTX boots.

My favorite boots are my Schnees Granites. They are pretty stiff but once you break them in they are super comfortable. They are on sale right now for $305

I bought a pair of Schnee Timberlines 2 years ago. Have worn them on a Idaho hunt and regularly hunting NW PA. Comfortable, perform to my expectations in all terrain, no complaints. I also have a pair of Salomon X Ultra 3 Hikers, one of my all time favorites, purchased in 2018, worn regularly, have plenty of tread still. Will purchase another pair for sure.

Last edited:
Give our Hoffman Explorer boots a try. Great fitting boot and top notch quality.

I did. Fantastic build, but didn’t work out for me. Fit wasn’t right and we never got them where they needed to be. Tried two more brands and found a pair that is magic for me. But possibly the Explorers fit OP better than anything else.

There’s several brands that have good builds, but if the boots don’t fit right it doesn’t matter.

Like that ya’ll use Sympatex. And my brother loves your Pac boots. I’ve got to get a pair of them sometime.

I currently wear Schnees. But the Crispi Guides I wore were awesome. Will be tempted to go back to them someday.

Lowa zephyr gtx mids…greatest boot ever made. Will last forever and hold up to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Do you think you need Goretex in South Texas? I've hunted down there. The Lowa Camino leather lined might be my favorite boots. I have a pair of Tibet GTX. I used them for a hunt in AZ, and they were perfect for that, but they are really too much boot for anything I do regularly. I also really like the Lowa Ranger for a Goretex boot.

I have the same problem with Kennetreks that someone above mentioned. My heels won't stay planted.

If you are hunting Nilgai in south Texas, the last thing you need is a mountain boot, the first a lightweight knee high snake boot. Favor the Beartooth for the rest.

Meindl’s. I’ve had the Perfekt hikers for about 16 years. I abused the heck out of them and they have finally bit the dust. I bought a pair of the comfort hunters last year and they are a fantastic boot. The one problem I had is that their comfort series is built on a wide last. They are too wide for me and I switched to my old Perfekt hikers 3 days into an elk hunt. I just bought a pair of the Vakuum hikers and can’t wait to get them. I like about an 8” boot and these are 7.75”. My other choice would be the Vakuum hunters or the Himalayan. Meindl’s are great boots and about $150-$200 less than competitors.

I have a pair of slightly used pair of Meindl comfort hunters in a 9 1/2 for sale. 🤣

I have been through a pair of Zamberlan 960’s and a pair of Kenetrek Hardsgrabbles over the last few years. Both tore the crap out of my heels. The Zamberlans developed a weird bump in the tongue also.
Didn’t know what a good boot was supposed to be like until I got a pair of Hoffman Explorer Lites. So happy to finally find a pair that doesn’t destroy my heels and cause tons pain after long days hunting or shed hunting steep sidehills.

Crispi fits my feet the best. It pays to find a place that carries a few and try them on. The difference in fits and feels is crazy.

have you tried LOWA? deciding between them and crispi
The Crispi's I've tried on are wide for the size and short in the toe area. Lowa's are my go-to boot now. I'd suggest a better shoe insert no matter what boot you get. I recently put a pair of Superfeet Hike inserts in my boots and they made a pretty big difference in comfort. Might want to buy the insoles first and fit them in the boot when trying them on because they will take up a little bit more space inside the boot.

Looking for boot suggestions. I'm 6 3" 200lbs with high arches. I currently am using the UA boot but rubber is starting to come unglued after 4 years, the boots are pretty comfy. Any suggestions? I'm in the gulf coast of Texas hunting WT and Nilgai but I try to get out West to Idaho or New Mexico once a year and so that's my hardest use case there. Was thinking about the Kennetrek hardscrabble hiker or Crispi Shimek. I know I need to try some on before buying but just wanted to know what others like as a reference.
What do you value in a boot? Sounds like from what you like/have, and do for hunts, you would hate kenetrek, they are the complete opposite of what you are used to… they are clunky stiff boots with almost no flex… I couldn’t wear them

I want the softest boots I can get that still will stay waterproof for awhile (leaking boots here mark the end of their life) but I don’t think you would value waterproof as much as me because of your use vs mine

I hate stiff boots and don’t like ankle support, I want the most shoe like boots that I can find that will hold up, no matter the terrain. I have been hunting in soft boots forever, and carrying heavy packs in them forever and have never had any foot or ankle issues

Most people prefer stiff boots and ankle support, because they have always been told that it’s necessary, and would have to ease into softer footwear now or risk injury. If you are already used to a softer boot, you would be crazy to go to a stiff boot, it would be going backwards imo

My favorite boot would probably look different than yours because our use is a lot different, but something like a crispi lapponia is a very versatile boot

I have been through piles of boots, I buy at least 2 pairs a year, and am always trying different options. The 3 that have reliably held up for me the best are zamberlan, crispi and asolo, crispi have been the best fit for me overall, but there are a couple zamberlan and asolo that fit me well too, but also many that don’t

For warm weather early season hunts, I like a goretex low top and gaiters… the zamberlan salathe gtx with kuiu kutana gaiters is a great early season combo, late season wet hunts I currently like crispi lapponia 2’s usually matched with kuiu Yukon gaiters. I almost always wear gaiters, and I think kuiu makes the best rain gear and gaiters (about all I like from them)

If long term waterproof is not a big concern, that opens up a lot of boot options

Looking for boot suggestions. I'm 6 3" 200lbs with high arches. I currently am using the UA boot but rubber is starting to come unglued after 4 years, the boots are pretty comfy. Any suggestions? I'm in the gulf coast of Texas hunting WT and Nilgai but I try to get out West to Idaho or New Mexico once a year and so that's my hardest use case there. Was thinking about the Kennetrek hardscrabble hiker or Crispi Shimek. I know I need to try some on before buying but just wanted to know what others like as a reference.
I run Hanwag Yukon. Thick enough for snakes and cactus, breathable enough for TX heat

Back