Favorite hunting story

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure this has been posted before. But with season starting all around the country, let’s hear your favorite hunting story from past seasons.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Without any doubt, when my grandson got his first hog this past august. 15 years old, 225 yard shot off tripod. A absolute adrenaline rush for about an hour.

Kinda weird, but I spend a fair amount of time talking to and watching the ravens when I'm out. I got a theory that them smart buggers want us to kill so they have a carcass to eat so will put a guy on animals. Whatever, it's mostly just for fun and joking around with whoever is with me. Decided to go solo for moose 6 months after my daughter died in 2021 to pretty much hash it out and fight with God for 10 days. Told myself I was only shooting a bull over 70" so passed up on several animals and had a bunch of encounters over the hunt. The last evening I was sitting at my glassing spot watching the pink sunset and I watched a raven fly from (appearing to fly from) the sun, across the lake, and directly over me VERY low and it made it's clucks. All I could hear was it's wings as it flew away. The next I'm guessing 2-3 minutes was completely quiet in a valley that was otherwise chaos with wind, rain, waterfowl, beavers, moose, and rodents. It was wild how deafening the silence was. All I could hear was my pulse, had almost felt like the world had ended. Then like a light switch, the whole valley came back to life after a few minutes.

"The birth of Christ is the birth of the logos - the word that extracts order out of chaos and eternally sets things right. Welcome that rebirth into your heart and into your family; and let's manifest hope." - Jordan P.

Yoder

WKR
When my oldest son shot his first deer. A doe walked in to about 50 yards. My son shot it right in the neck off hand with a 30-06 and it dropped in it's tracks. I asked him where he was aiming, he said the chest.. I was more excited than he was. It was the first time I hunted that area and it was almost dark, so I just used the GPS to head in a straight line toward the truck. Turns out that was a big mistake. Wound up dragging through this God awful old clear cut. To make things worse, I only had one flashlight. It got so bad my son looked at me and said "Can we just leave it here?" At the time I wasn't amused but looking back on it, that was pretty funny.

I was hunting on my first western hunt 15 years ago on a Combo OTC Colorado drop camp hunt. We ended up tagging out on mule deer, but in my uncles words "I know guys who hunt sheep in flatter country than this" On the 3rd day I'd worked my way up to a spot I'd last seen the group of bucks we were watching and waited till evening and they came out again feeding, I had an ideal shooting position and shot my buck at 300 yards and he dropped like a pile of bricks, unbeknownst to me my uncle had worked his way up adjacent to me and watched the whole thing, "It was like you dropped that buck out of a Helicopter" he later recounted. Mine didn't fall far before he got hung up in some brush on a small bench. Elated I joined my uncle and started working my way up to my buck, while we were working our way up there, the remainder of the group of bucks (2-3 in total) had evidently been cliffed out and had to come back at the top of the ridge and came out in front of us again at 200 yards. My uncle dropped his pack, took a rest and shot, dropping the last buck in the group. It fell were it stood and we were totally jacked. "We just made a memory" said my uncle, as his buck gave one more kick before it expired. That was all it took, the buck had been immobile but it started to slide and fall down the mountain. The sight of that buck picking up momentum as it came down the mountain is something I'll never forget. Ass over tea kettle that thing picked up speed, there was a decent sized clump of brush in its path, it bowled right through. There was one more between it and us, and at the speed it was coming we were both starting to look left and right to get out of the way if need be, because I'm not exaggerating when I say it was headed right towards us. The 2nd clump of brush ended up stopping it. when we worked our way up to it we found one of the G2's had been broken off, My uncle was able to climb up and find it, but the next day when we were processing and packing those deer out it got left on the bench we were working on and nobody had the ambition to climb back up to it to retrieve it again. I'll never forget that buck rolling down the mountain and blowing through that first clump of brush.

My first bow kill, after a LOT of hours spent tromping around fields and flinging arrows at pheasants and other upland game, I finally scored a pheasant with the Bear Grizzly Recurve.

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpeg
    IMG_0407.jpeg
    648.1 KB · Views: 20
OP
Tegr0429

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
My first bow kill, after a LOT of hours spent tromping around fields and flinging arrows at pheasants and other upland game, I finally scored a pheasant with the Bear Grizzly Recurve.
Congratulations!

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
Daughters first whitetail, she was 12.

We had practiced with her 243 for several months, and she was getting better and better, but we were practicing at 50 yards (this is Nebraska deer after all.

Season, comes and its a super cold morning (NE Rifle is in November). and we had gotten a little snow overnight. Its likely 5 to 10 degrees outside. We get to our spot and set up about an hour before sunrise ion one of our pastures about an hour from our house. I chose this spot because the deer generally pass within 75 to 100 yards, if not closer. First year success and al that.

We don't use a blind, just under come cedars in a group of trees out of the wind. We let a doe pass just before shooting light. I swear its getting colder since we're down out of the wind and out of the rising suns rays and I can tell she's cold, so I refresh her a bit with some cocoa, a snack, and more handwarmers in her boots and hand muff. Around 745 a nice little buck comes out. She's ready with her shooting sticks and aims at where he's going to come out from behind a hedge tree, maybe 30 yards from us

We're whispering back and forth about where to stop him, and when he gets there I bleat once and he stops broadside and looks directly at us. I ask her if she's got him in the scope and she says "No, I cant find him" and I look over and the rifle is moving all over as she searches for him with the scope. I realize at that point she had it set at 12 (cheap 4-12 scope that came on the rifle). I realize my mistake from the last range outing and reach over and turn it down to 4 real quick. He's walking again, not realizing were there, so i bleat again and stop him, again broadside. She whispers "got him" and shoots. He goes down but the shot was a bit far back (rear lung, not guts fortunately) so he's struggling a bit but stays down after a minute or so. It was a clean kill, just a little longer to expire and I was ready with a follow up shot in case he tried to get up.

I'm not sure who was more excited, me or her, and it for sure wasn't cold anymore. We got all the photos she wanted of her and him, the gutting process (she wanted those). I didn't tag another deer that year, but didn't care, and she came everyday she could after school l and again the next weekend.

Shortening the story, she helps me gut him and get him on the sled, with both of us dragging him back tot he truck (yeah, we could have drove working for it is more important, and again, Nebraska deer hunting, so we're about 1/4 mile to the truck). Loaded up and of to check in station. The NE G&P guys were great wit her, taking lots of pictures, asking her the story, getting him aged for her, etc.

We've hunted a lot together since then - turkey, coyotes, whitetail and mule deer, in several states and have both taken nicer deer, but this one is my favorite. She's been wanting a bear hunt, but she's also a horse show kid, and we're on the road a lot between that and equestrian team in the winter, so dates have never worked. She's looking at a school in NC, so maybe someday we'll do one down there.

Attachments

• 223.jpg
    223.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 27
OP
Tegr0429

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
Daughters first whitetail, she was 12.

We had practiced with her 243 for several months, and she was getting better and better, but we were practicing at 50 yards (this is Nebraska deer after all.

Season, comes and its a super cold morning (NE Rifle is in November). and we had gotten a little snow overnight. Its likely 5 to 10 degrees outside. We get to our spot and set up about an hour before sunrise ion one of our pastures about an hour from our house. I chose this spot because the deer generally pass within 75 to 100 yards, if not closer. First year success and al that.

We don't use a blind, just under come cedars in a group of trees out of the wind. We let a doe pass just before shooting light. I swear its getting colder since we're down out of the wind and out of the rising suns rays and I can tell she's cold, so I refresh her a bit with some cocoa, a snack, and more handwarmers in her boots and hand muff. Around 745 a nice little buck comes out. She's ready with her shooting sticks and aims at where he's going to come out from behind a hedge tree, maybe 30 yards from us

We're whispering back and forth about where to stop him, and when he gets there I bleat once and he stops broadside and looks directly at us. I ask her if she's got him in the scope and she says "No, I cant find him" and I look over and the rifle is moving all over as she searches for him with the scope. I realize at that point she had it set at 12 (cheap 4-12 scope that came on the rifle). I realize my mistake from the last range outing and reach over and turn it down to 4 real quick. He's walking again, not realizing were there, so i bleat again and stop him, again broadside. She whispers "got him" and shoots. He goes down but the shot was a bit far back (rear lung, not guts fortunately) so he's struggling a bit but stays down after a minute or so. It was a clean kill, just a little longer to expire and I was ready with a follow up shot in case he tried to get up.

I'm not sure who was more excited, me or her, and it for sure wasn't cold anymore. We got all the photos she wanted of her and him, the gutting process (she wanted those). I didn't tag another deer that year, but didn't care, and she came everyday she could after school l and again the next weekend.

Shortening the story, she helps me gut him and get him on the sled, with both of us dragging him back tot he truck (yeah, we could have drove working for it is more important, and again, Nebraska deer hunting, so we're about 1/4 mile to the truck). Loaded up and of to check in station. The NE G&P guys were great wit her, taking lots of pictures, asking her the story, getting him aged for her, etc.

We've hunted a lot together since then - turkey, coyotes, whitetail and mule deer, in several states and have both taken nicer deer, but this one is my favorite. She's been wanting a bear hunt, but she's also a horse show kid, and we're on the road a lot between that and equestrian team in the winter, so dates have never worked. She's looking at a school in NC, so maybe someday we'll do one down there.
Man I have a one year old girl at home. I can’t wait for this.

My stepdad is the most giving human I have ever met! He started big game hunting later in life and never really had great success due to old faulty equipment and physical limitations in the steep Idaho mountains. Before he retired last year, he traded out some work with a local hunting guide and got me and my nephew both tags to go on a week-long guided elk hunt!! I was in shock and had mixed feelings about such a nice gift. I really wanted him to harvest a bull and thought maybe he should take my spot on the guided hunt. I have a sorted history of making stupid mistakes, and one of them was listening to a neighbor who had told me that my general season tag was separate from outfitter tags... needless to say I never inquired w fish and game, I just went out opening morning and arrowed the first rag horn I saw. Two days later the outfitter called to get my license info for my tag.... since I had already notched my tag, I could no longer hunt the rifle tag w outfitter...
I was devastated, but elated to find out that my stepdad was forced to put his name on the tag!!! I was able to ride along on the hunt regardless. I forced my stepdad to shoot my rifle as I had it dialed and knew his rifle had been half the reason he struggled to harvest. opening morning we rode for a couple hours without seeing anything. Right at about the point the day is heating up and you realize the morning activity is probably winding down, our guide finds a nice shooter bull. We rush and get set up @250 yards from two bulls fighting. My stepdad steadies the rifle on the only bull he sees and tries squeezing one off. safety is on, and by the time he gets the safety off the bigger bull is in plain sight. he shoots and elk go running everywhere including the big bull. The bull went about 40 yards and stopped, got really sick and tipped over right there!! my stepdads first last and only bull was a stud 6x that probably went close to 300" and it couldn't have happened to a more caring and giving individual. It meant more to me to be there with him and share that experience than any animal I have or will ever harvest! memories to last a lifetime! my nephew harvested a huge freaky 3x5 three days later and it was the first harvest he and I shared. I was simply photographer on the trip, but it is the best hunting experience I have ever had to date! So, this year when the outfitter wanted to do more trade work my stepdad gladly accepted and my lucky spoiled ass is going back in with him in two weeks! This time with my name on a tag!!!

SloppyJ

WKR
My son was interested in hunting whitetail with me last year. There's a hunting game for the computer I got and I think that helped him understand some things as well. I bought a nice BOG blind on black friday along with a tripod and got it setup for the Christmas hunt. He was only 5 at the time so we took snacks, a buddy heater, and all sorts of extras to keep him interested.

As time moved on I could tell he was getting restless and I was about to just call it. He wanted to sit in my lap so I reached over and picked him up. As soon as I got him in my lap there were two does that popped up about 35yds at our 3 o'clock. He sat really still but moved and somehow they saw and ran off. He was discouraged but we waited and they circled around and came back and we were able to get a shot on them. He tracked it all by himself and helped me clean it and make some jerky. He was so excited and I will never forget that hunt as long as I live.

The other one I'll never forget didn't end as well. It happened before the story I just told. We had just eaten Thanksgiving dinner and he wanted to go out and look for deer. We got our clothes on and our orange on as well. We walked a few hundred yards from the house where all of the deer come out in the evening in a large 120ac open field. We sat along the fence line with our backs to the tall brush that had grown along it. About 15min in, a doe jumped the fence behind us and landed about 10yds from us and stood there. He did so good being still but he was so excited that he was giggling under his breath. She stood there for what felt like 15min and then trotted off. She knew something was up but somehow couldn't make us out. Well that was great and all that we wanted really.

A couple minutes after that the large 10pt I was hunting that year jumped the fence and did the same. He sensed something was up and busted out of there. I knew I had one chance when he stopped and looked back. As he ran off I moved my son off my lap and picked up my 30-06 in what was probably a very stylish move, in my head it was. I told him to cover his ears and as soon as that buck stopped and looked back I let one go. He ran off a little too nice for my liking so I was skeptical. My son got up yelling and all jacked up. I quieted him down and called mom to bring the side by side down. About 15min later she shows up and we start looking. Time was not on our side as light was fading.

I walked the 50yds to the scene of the shot and there was blood everywhere. Talking spray action on tall grass for feet in each direction. I was shooting a federal soft point. It should have anchored him at that range. Well we followed good blood for about 300yds with chunks of bone in there and everything. The blood slowly started fading. I knew it was bad when he ran down and back up a pretty steep draw. We tracked that deer for hours and the last spot I found was about a baseball size spot on a tree where he rubbed it.

I was distraught. Felt like a failure with my son. I called a local guy with a dog and took him to where I last found blood. He let the dog loose and it followed a trail for a bit then quit. We never found that deer and it will haunt me forever. It was a hard shot with everything going on but something went wrong and I'm not sure I'll ever know what happened. Likely just a bad shot, but I don't know where I hit the dang thing. He was quartered away and maybe I was just too far forward? A couple days later I was inspecting my rifle (Model 70) and found that both of the action screws had worked loose somehow. That certainly didn't help me either.

Hunting comes with highs and lows. I was looking forward to going over that buck with my son, thanking it for letting us take it and processing it with him. I wanted to mount it and let him hang it in his room like his daddy but we will just keep hunting. That was just last year and he's 6 now. I got him a kids bow and he's been practicing like crazy and already planning more hunts for us to go on this year. I can't wait.

Naiche

FNG
My uncle was hunting muzzleloader deer in NM. I was about 15 and tagged along having killed the day before. He spotted a buck across a canyon and dropped him with his TC 50 cal Hawken. As we watched the buck it started to slide and tumble down the side of the ridge and slid to a stop at the bottom. We were thinking it was going to be a pain to get it out of the brushy canyon back up our side but when we got down there there was a two track we couldn't see right up to him. There was also a tiny trickling stream in the bottom so we were able to wash up after cleaning the buck. We walked out down the bottom of the canyon and back to where we had left the blazer in the main canyon and drove right to the buck and loaded him up. It was so slick how it worked out. Easiest pack out ever! I sure miss the over the counter tag days when whole families could hunt together and the mulies were thick. We didn't know how good we had it. Now I hardly ever get to see my uncle much less hunt together.

WCB

WKR
I have a lot of favorite memories/stories. My absolute favorites come from my grandpa and my dad from hunting Alaska and Canada for sheep, goats, Brown Bears etc in the 70s and 80s. They also hunted out west extensively and all the hunts were basically head out in blue jeans (maybe wool pants) flannels, and down vests.

Grandpa has a bunch of stories from hunting sheep in WY and MY from that time frame as it took him 10 Big Horn Sheep hunts to connect on a ram and finish off his slam.

Not the most exciting compared to charging Brown Bears, horse wrecks, or guy loosing fingers sheep hunting, but I was with my dad and grandpa when my grandpa killed a big Aoudad in TX. He was 85 at the time and obviously had some difficulty in Aoudad country in SW TX. At that time he was probably in better shape and condition for rough hunt than 80% of guys but none the less...We moved to a easier ranch with small islands of "rock piles" or Buttes I guess. I happened to spot a ram on skyline just by the curve of one horn stuck up in the air. The outfitter drove the vehicle as close as he could on the back side of the Butte and started lamb calling. The whole herd came running over the hill and the Ram hung up at 450 yards. While asking if my Grandpa was comfortable with the distance he squeezed off a shot and hit the ram...It ran across the hill then as it cut up over the top another shot rang out and a loud WHOP echoed back. Just guessing but that shot was pushing 500 yards. The guide just looked over at my grandpa and said "when you showed up with that beat up old rifle and knowing your hunting background I shouldn't have even doubted..." Grandpa put two through the Ram with a 1963 Rem model 700 worked over by Brown Precision in the late 60's...Topped with a 4x Leupold.

He is 93 yrs old now and in a memory care facility and doesn't recall really any old stories which sucks. However, while visiting him the other day he was in a group activity and one of the workers was asking people "if you were given $10,000 what would you do with it?" My grandpas instant reply was "Go to Africa and hunt a Lion..." hahaha. To say that received a strange reaction is an understatement. I had to tell the worker that he had indeed already killed a Lion and a stuff all over the world so if he starts "telling stories" they are probably true.