Favorite Practice Targets

tdoublev

FNG
What’s everyone’s favorite practice target - homemade or purchased (must take broadheads though). I’ve shot through my high roller and curious what other enjoy shooting at. I’m looking at another high roller or a Matrix target. Matrix is considerably more expensive, but I suppose theoretically cheaper in the long run.

Rhinoblock xl.

Buy replacement cores for it.

I had a Big Shot target that has been my best Broadhead target, it was foam layers but stacked against each other, but is no longer made. Hardest thing I have pulled arrows from too.

Matrix gets good reviews, best thing is a field point target that you mostly use, and a broadhead target that you just use for broadheads. Morrell outdoor range target is great for field points, assuming no collars on your arrows. Put a new cover on them every few years. I have some that are 15 years old, but don't take broadheads. Most any broadhead target is more or less a consumable.

Bump79

WKR
I've used Sevr's for 4 years or so. They take a beating and are made by Delta McKenzie (same parent company Easton). The Delta McKenzie Big 8 is the same materials as the Sevr but has a replacable core and more sides. I picked it up on clearance. That's the way to go - whatever is on sale more. Rhinoblock or those.

I did the math on the cores on the Matrix - it will last a long time but the cost never paid off compared to these others.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use the 4-foot Block layered foam targets for field points, and still use my 24" Blob target that I bought in 2008 for BH's. I also have a Rinoblock that I take to elk camp.

LostArra

WKR
I use the 4-foot Block layered foam targets for field points, and still use my 24" Blob target that I bought in 2008 for BH's. I also have a Rinoblock that I take to elk camp.
How difficult to pull bh arrows from blob?

I've been using 18-1 for broadheads and Big Shot Ironman 30 for field points. Once elk season is over I mainly practice from treestands at 3D deer or hog targets.

I just picked up a BIGshot Titan 10X target. It's supposed to be able to take broadheads and I think it will just haven't shot anything but field points. First several arrows are tough to pull but once the foam takes some arrows it gets better. Pretty cool design though for elevated shots.

Rhinoblock xl.

Buy replacement cores for it.

I had a Big Shot target that has been my best Broadhead target, it was foam layers but stacked against each other, but is no longer made. Hardest thing I have pulled arrows from too.

Matrix gets good reviews, best thing is a field point target that you mostly use, and a broadhead target that you just use for broadheads. Morrell outdoor range target is great for field points, assuming no collars on your arrows. Put a new cover on them every few years. I have some that are 15 years old, but don't take broadheads. Most any broadhead target is more or less a consumable.
Another vote for the rhinoblock, I have been shooting mine for over 2 years and it’s still my primary target… hard to get that long out of anything

The 18-1 is great too, and endures a lot of abuse

A bear chewed a corner off of my current one, but he strung my bag target across my whole yard, so the 18-1 is a lot more bear resistant if you have A-hole bear around your house

Attachments

• IMG_4432.jpeg
    IMG_4432.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4427.jpeg
    IMG_4427.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 18

87TT

WKR
18-1 has been my go to. Just know. I just know that I'm going to go through one every year. I have a Matrix and wasn't impressed. Broadheads tear it up as fast as any other target and cost of replacement modules is not worth it.

OP
tdoublev

tdoublev

FNG
The Big 8 looks nice. I like the esthetics of that more than the rhinoblock. For those who like the 18-1 so much - do you ever actually shoot at the short sides? I couldn’t see myself ever shooting at the short sides of the 18-1, so to me it seems about on par with the high roller in that case unless the foam is far more durable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How difficult to pull bh arrows from blob?
BH's aren't bad at all. FP's on the other hand......I've had to lay it down, stand on it, and grip and pull using my legs as leverage. This target was doing great, just used for my annual BH tuning or verification. So after almost 10 years here's what it looked like.
100_3705.JPG
Then my bow blew up on me in May 2018, and apparently the cam spacers were put on wrong, and the limb deflection order was all backwards for a lefty. So after pulling hair out trying to get that thing tuned that year, this is what it looked like.
101_3851.JPG
Then after another year of not being able to BH tune it and some weathering, this is what it looks like now.
IMG_0068.JPG
After a couple limbs splintered, I replaced them myself and finally figured out that everything had been put together backwards on the bow before. Now it tunes easily. After my Blob is now just about shot. But after 16 years of sitting out in the sun and weather, it's not bad. I can still find spots to shoot on it and still barely get much penetration on it. Well worth the money I spent on it. Back in 2008 I think I paid like $100 for it, and ordered two (one for my buddy) so shipping was free.

The Big 8 looks nice. I like the esthetics of that more than the rhinoblock. For those who like the 18-1 so much - do you ever actually shoot at the short sides? I couldn’t see myself ever shooting at the short sides of the 18-1, so to me it seems about on par with the high roller in that case unless the foam is far more durable.
I like shooting the small sides because it’s the thickest orientation and I want long target life. I don’t shoot the main sides as much.

I have never had a blob, but the 18-1 is the most durable target I’ve had, but I like the ability to switch out the core on the rhinoblock, not sure which pencils out better, but the 18-1 is tougher than their block, but once an 18-1 is shot out, it’s done

OP
tdoublev

tdoublev

FNG
What’s the width of the 18-1 when shooting short side?

87TT

WKR
15" same as the other sides.
I buy the blems then paint them tan.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have never had a blob, but the 18-1 is the most durable target I’ve had, but I like the ability to switch out the core on the rhinoblock, not sure which pencils out better, but the 18-1 is tougher than their block, but once an 18-1 is shot out, it’s done
I bought an 18-1 several years ago, with the sole intent of shooting it out and then getting a free replacement. Well, I did shoot it out......in only a few months. But after I was done, I just couldn't request the free one from Rinehart because........they really are great targets. Unless you're trying to shoot it out quickly, they'll last for some time. They make a great camp target.

OP
tdoublev

tdoublev

FNG
Rolled around a 18-1 this morning and could see why you would prefer to shoot the short sides. I ended up taking it home. I made a list of everyone who recommended it so if I end up hating it I’m coming back here with receipts!

@5MilesBack what does that blob sound like when you hit it? I’m imagining a spanking sound

Ehunter56

FNG
Been shooting High Rollers as well. Usually last a year or two, then time to replace. Strange thing to me is, even the very first shot penetrates up to the fletching, or deeper, but takes alot of shots to actually wear one of the things out. I almost exclusively shoot broadheads, only using field points for initial tuning, or on 3D targets. Might have to take a look at one of the 18-1, or rhinoblock targets after the roller wears out.