First Colorado OTC elk hunt.

OP
wihunter1

wihunter1

FNG
I can't thank all you enough for the help...after the information I have received and talking to my brother and dad we have decided a bow hunt for September 8-17 no spike camp just stay in the camper at trail head. Like some of you stated, deep pockets are a must for gathering everything in two months time and it seems a bit unrealistic. What I have so far is a weapon, boots, binos, day- backpack, and gps. Things on my list are Marino base layers, rain gear and range finder...along with hours of Cyber scouting and reading/ listening to all the elk information I can get my hands no. My brother and I are both fit individuals and I found a work out regiment on here I have been doing. I'm sure Colorado will still kick my ass I've been working my hardest. Although this hunt may be rushed if I don't get out now there's no telling what the future holds and I always wanted to get my foot I'm the door. I'm also new to rokslide so hopefully I am using it correctly. Thanks again fellow hunters.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't thank all you enough for the help...after the information I have received and talking to my brother and dad we have decided a bow hunt for September 8-17 no spike camp just stay in the camper at trail head. Like some of you stated, deep pockets are a must for gathering everything in two months time and it seems a bit unrealistic. What I have so far is a weapon, boots, binos, day- backpack, and gps. Things on my list are Marino base layers, rain gear and range finder...along with hours of Cyber scouting and reading/ listening to all the elk information I can get my hands no. My brother and I are both fit individuals and I found a work out regiment on here I have been doing. I'm sure Colorado will still kick my ass I've been working my hardest. Although this hunt may be rushed if I don't get out now there's no telling what the future holds and I always wanted to get my foot I'm the door. I'm also new to rokslide so hopefully I am using it correctly. Thanks again fellow hunters.

That's a great way to start. After this trip you may find that you want to replace your boots or pack and be glad you didn't spend a ton on all the other gear yet. Getting a taste of the conditions will help future gear purchases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
I hope you know you picked the dates of the muzzleloader season if that makes a difference to you?

OP
wihunter1

wihunter1

FNG
Unfortunately it's what fits into our schedule...would you suggest changing seasons to before the muzzle load? Is there a lot more pressure? And are the elk much more spooked after the season?

flippertn

FNG
My hunt last year was during muzzy season as that's just when our schedule allowed. We heard one distant shot in a week. Go when you can go and have fun with it. Also I'm gonna go against the grain and say don't let everyone scare you with the fitness stuff. I let it scare me to death. I'm 35 and in decent shape but no marathon runner. I was walking/running about 5 miles a day by the time we left. Doing some squats and push-ups and just general fitness stuff. We hunted from 9-11,500 feet and I never really struggled. Air is noticeably thinner meaning you get winded easier but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. Just plan to learn a lot on the first trip. We did. And I wouldn't trade the time I spent with my dad and brothers for anything. Good luck.

Bar

Banned
Unfortunately it's what fits into our schedule...would you suggest changing seasons to before the muzzle load? Is there a lot more pressure? And are the elk much more spooked after the season?

I don't think it's a problem, but i'm a muzzleloader hunter. I know a lot of bow hunters don't like hunting when guns are being used. They forget the bear rifle season is the whole month of Sept, so they always will be hunting with gun hunters.

I just thought i'd mention it to you if you weren't aware. Good luck with your hunt.

Base camp at trailhead. Logistically and financially this is probably easiest option. Don't need to invest in pricey UL gear for spiking out. Pre cook food, freeze it and heat it up at camp. Dad and I base camped at trail head last year. Found we could get into elk within day hikes distance. I am modifying my plan a little this year. Will carry 3 days supplies in pack so I can spike out. Mostly just to save some miles. Got into plenty of elk 1-2 miles,from trail head. But it was nasty country. Have fun, absorb it all. Take notes and modify as needed for next trip.

OP
wihunter1

wihunter1

FNG
@5milesback did u have issues with ML hunters hindering your hunt? Would u go the week after?

Bar

Banned
Don't ask me if I have issues with bow hunters. You'd hate my answer. You guys have a whole month. We have 9 days and we didn't set the dates of the season. It's not our fault we're out there together.

Tejasbow

FNG
In my two trips elk hunting I have not had issues with BP hunters.

Bar you been up to chalk fly fishing yet? It was moving pretty good a few weeks back while I was there. Did catch two browns that were bigger than any I had caught in Chalk before. Numbers were down for me from years past as I could not fish all the water I usually do.

I went over to Independence pass and fished that creek on the east side as it was very fishable. Caught about 10/15 in one hole. Nothing any larger than my hand though.

Bar

Banned
In my two trips elk hunting I have not had issues with BP hunters.

Bar you been up to chalk fly fishing yet? It was moving pretty good a few weeks back while I was there. Did catch two browns that were bigger than any I had caught in Chalk before. Numbers were down for me from years past as I could not fish all the water I usually do.

I went over to Independence pass and fished that creek on the east side as it was very fishable. Caught about 10/15 in one hole. Nothing any larger than my hand though.

Not yet, but i'm getting ready to. The fish had a hard time this year during runoff. It will take them awhile to recover. I've been up there hiking and I see the water from the creek was way over the bank in spots.

I found a bunch of bear scat there, so i'll be hitting it come muzzy bear season. Did you see any bears when you were there?

Tejasbow

FNG
I have never seen bear camping there at chalk creek or anywhere else along there. Only bear I have seen in my trips was above lake hancock. Way up above timberline.

Bar

Banned
They're there, but hard to see them. It's a summer range for bears. The hard part is figuring out where they go in the fall. Success rate is pathetic for the unit.

hobbes

WKR
You'll be fine in the muzzy season. Dont make a mountain out of a mole hill. I had as many bowhunters interfere with my hunts when I was in CO as muzzleloader hunters. Of course there is more pressure, there are suddenly more folks with a license in hand, but its not the end of the world. If thats when you can hunt, go hunt and enjoy it.

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
No one has mentioned a water filter. Last year I saw two guys from Oklahoma packing in 4 cased of half liter plastic water bottles to an area that had water all over the place. They got a bit upset when I asked then to carry everyone of those bottles out. You do not need to carry water in these mountains just a filter. Go light and simple. And if you are not coming from high altitude then try to get out here a week ahead of time. Otherwise plan on packing only a few miles a day.

Tejasbow

FNG
No one has mentioned a water filter. Last year I saw two guys from Oklahoma packing in 4 cased of half liter plastic water bottles to an area that had water all over the place. They got a bit upset when I asked then to carry everyone of those bottles out. You do not need to carry water in these mountains just a filter. Go light and simple. And if you are not coming from high altitude then try to get out here a week ahead of time. Otherwise plan on packing only a few miles a day.

Hole Lee sheet

LaGriz

WKR
WIhunter1,
More "Flatlander" advice for your 1st hunt. Hydrate each morning be for you leave camp. Take more water than you think you will need. Have had good results with Hydrate and recover stuff from Wilderness Athlete. Rolaids have been known to help with elevation issues.

Learn how to cow call if possible and practice thru the next 6 weeks. Once you find some elk. Try and set up "just off the trail" a few yards away from your last cow talk. (wish I could remember this) Elk have an uncanny ability to pinpoint your last calling location. Hard to draw when they are in your grill! Keep a wind checker handy and watch the thermals. I find the afternoon squalls are followed by a wind shift that can get you an opportunity. Don't give up when you are busted by domestic cattle. The elk may not always be spooked by them, and curious elk may investigate. Had this happen a few times when I thought my set up was toast, only to have and a raghorn come in silent.
Enjoy! LaGriz