First Digiscoping Pic

parshal

WKR
Here's my first pic through my Swaro 85mm ATX. I picked up a used Sony RX100 (the first version) off Craigslist. No adapter used, I just held the camera up to the scope.

These two were part of a larger group hanging out under a tree in my backyard. They were about 100 yards away. I haven't seen any bucks in a while but lots of does are around.

snoozing.jpg

Last edited:

mAv

Lil-Rokslider
Very cool, my RX100 came in last night, still debating on a scope but looking forward to doing some digiscoping myself

OP
parshal

parshal

WKR
I almost got a shot of a coyote last evening but he got out of dodge pretty darned quick!

OP
parshal

parshal

WKR
That's a great idea. What parts exactly did you use?

I played with the Swaro digiscoping adapter. It was nice but it's really too much money for the amount of time I'll use it.

Stid2677

WKR
That's a great idea. What parts exactly did you use?

I played with the Swaro digiscoping adapter. It was nice but it's really too much money for the amount of time I'll use it.

The parts required are camera specific, but all I needed for my TG-2 was an 18 dollar lens adapter and a 5 dollar step up ring. The step up rings are common and are used for attaching lens covers and filters. The threads on the ATX is 52mm

OP
parshal

parshal

WKR
I read a bit more on the link you sent. The Sony RX100 specific lens adapter has 52mm threads. It looks like I'd only need the adapter in the link you sent and really nothing more. I've sent them an email asking for clarification.

Thanks!

OP
parshal

parshal

WKR
I got the kit that you recommend. The 52mm ring won't screw on the ATX since the little bayonets hit the objective before they can get to the threads. I think using a 49mm kit with a step up adapter like you used would work since I only need another millimeter or two to get the threads started. I'll post my results back later but wanted to put this out there in case anyone else starts looking to do the same things.

OP
parshal

parshal

WKR
Lensmate 49mm kit plus a 49-52mm step up ring. This setup works well. Very stable and enough threads on the adapters to rotate the camera on the scope.

digiscope.jpg

Renoit24

FNG
Still trying to decide what's the best tripod and head for an 85mm scope to be used for backpacking and digiscoping. What are you guys running?

OP
parshal

parshal

WKR
That 85mm is still pretty big. On my Gitzo 1542T it's not real if you extend it much. It's very stable with the 65mm objective without extending the upper part. I decided I needed a traveling tripod and a heavy duty one for around the truck. I'm using Gitzo heads. See my other thread about the heads.