First Glock Help - Custom G20?

frankrb3

WKR
If snow is blocking that holographic sight, it’s also going to block the iron sights that you are co-witnessing.

If it really came down to that though, the encounter would be so damn close that you wouldn’t need to (or have time to) aim anyhow.

I was thinking more like using the iron sights without a red dot sight even mounted. Like the way it comes from the factory.

frankrb3

WKR
Could just get an extended 6” barrel for the Glock 20. I don’t see the value of adding a holographic or laser sight to a gun that’s there for emergency use.

The red dot sight is an option on the G40, you don't have to use one because it still has iron sights. I would imagine the added mass of the 6" slide would help with recoil and make a more controllable pistol when firing heavy loads. I agree with you about it all really not mattering a while lot in close proximity. I think the G40 has a lot going for it as a factory firearm from glock for backwoods protection. Yes it is bigger and heavier but that provides more muzzle velocity/energy and more control over the firearm.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
The red dot sight is an option on the G40, you don't have to use one because it still has iron sights. I would imagine the added mass of the 6" slide would help with recoil and make a more controllable pistol when firing heavy loads. I agree with you about it all really not mattering a while lot in close proximity. I think the G40 has a lot going for it as a factory firearm from glock for backwoods protection. Yes it is bigger and heavier but that provides more muzzle velocity/energy and more control over the firearm.

The g40 would also have a longer sight radius which would make it easier to shoot more accurately. If aiming is possible like NM says. In some scenarios, you could get a shot or two off before it's on top of you. All depends on how things go down.

Just a thought: if you wanted a red dot to play with you could really install it on a 40 or a 20. Just get the slide milled for the 20. Does anybody make a slide filler piece to install on a G20 if you would get the slide milled and remove the red dot in winter? Something similar to the pieces that comes stock with the 40.

Something else to consider with the longer barrel: If you have a few hundred pounds on top of you, it may be harder to get that longer gun unholstered and properly aimed. Especially if you're on your stomach with the gun on your hip.

There is a little give and take with pretty much everything.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I’m sure the g40 is a great gun, I’ll just mention though that I find the g20 to be very easy to handle, even my 5’3 120lb wife shoots it just fine (but the grip is too big for her to consider it to be her standard gun). I went shooting mine yesterday, I put 120 rounds of sellout and ballot through it, then shot a magazine of underwood and a magazine of HSM 200g “bear load” Ammo and had absolutely no troubles. I can’t aay the same for longer sessions with my 44 or 454 both of which leave me sore if I ahoot more than 30-40 rounds.

I do like the idea of the g40, I just can’t justify getting one since I have 3 g20s. I don’t want to get rid of my g20s because I like having a backup for my gen4 (I have 2 of them) and the gen 3 has sentimental value to me so I can’t get rid of it.

jmden

WKR
Just picked up a G40 today. Got rid of another pistol that more than paid for this one and I think it's more practical. Working up loads with 180g jacketed and 200g Beartooth Hardcast with Hodgdon Longshot. Work up carefully, but at the moment 9.0g of Longshot with Sig brass, CCI 350 and the 200g Beartooth hardcast bullet is doing an average of 1325-1330fps chronoed. That was in 45F so will test that at warm temps too--expecting that fps to go up then. Easy load to handle, but I've got quite used to .50AE, 350g bullet doing 1425fps, so this is a pussycat.

Have read of DoubleTap 200g hardcast factory ammo doing 1350fps out of the G40. 16 rounds of that is nothing to trifle with. Apparently that exact ammo was used by someone to harvest 3 Cape Buffalo...yikes.

Know of a couple of guys who used same 200g bullet, blue dot and were up to 1418 fps, which seems really hot, but they were meticulous in their procedure and being careful, etc. I've got a bunch of Longshot so will prob stick with that. They were using 6" KKM barrels and ended up switching to the 200g Double Tap hardcast bullet...can't remember why the switch now.

Which is the stoutest 10mm brass? Any suggestions?

Edit: Should thought to ask here first, but just saw this thread. I've ordered Ameriglo GL-245 Tritium Pro Glo sights (cause that's what I have on my other pistols, so used to it) and the Inforce APLc light as it so compact and looks like a good light, then the trholsters.com G40 holster for the APLc light. The paddle holster fits well on my Kifaru Bikini frame waistbelt and then on my hip when I take the pack off. Spend enough time in Montana with griz around and have had way too many dlose encounters here in WA with blackies--some that don't seem to keen in running off. Had to go into the bushes twice last year with pistol pulled after, thankfully, already dead bears. Once by myself, 5 miles back in wilderness and nearly at dark. Had been packing the .40 with 200g hardcast doing 1090 fps. That kinda gets you wondering if your packing enough umpphh...

Last edited:

TauPhi111

WKR
Just picked up a G40 today. Got rid of another pistol that more than paid for this one and I think it's more practical. Working up loads with 180g jacketed and 200g Beartooth Hardcast with Hodgdon Longshot. Work up carefully, but at the moment 9.0g of Longshot with Sig brass, CCI 350 and the 200g Beartooth hardcast bullet is doing an average of 1325-1330fps chronoed. That was in 45F so will test that at warm temps too--expecting that fps to go up then. Easy load to handle, but I've got quite used to .50AE, 350g bullet doing 1425fps, so this is a pussycat.

Have read of DoubleTap 200g hardcast factory ammo doing 1350fps out of the G40. 16 rounds of that is nothing to trifle with. Apparently that exact ammo was used by someone to harvest 3 Cape Buffalo...yikes.

Know of a couple of guys who used same 200g bullet, blue dot and were up to 1418 fps, which seems really hot, but they were meticulous in their procedure and being careful, etc. I've got a bunch of Longshot so will prob stick with that. They were using 6" KKM barrels and ended up switching to the 200g Double Tap hardcast bullet...can't remember why the switch now.

Which is the stoutest 10mm brass? Any suggestions?

Edit: Should thought to ask here first, but just saw this thread. I've ordered Ameriglo GL-245 Tritium Pro Glo sights (cause that's what I have on my other pistols, so used to it) and the Inforce APLc light as it so compact and looks like a good light, then the trholsters.com G40 holster for the APLc light. The paddle holster fits well on my Kifaru Bikini frame waistbelt and then on my hip when I take the pack off. Spend enough time in Montana with griz around and have had way too many dlose encounters here in WA with blackies--some that don't seem to keen in running off. Had to go into the bushes twice last year with pistol pulled after, thankfully, already dead bears. Once by myself, 5 miles back in wilderness and nearly at dark. Had been packing the .40 with 200g hardcast doing 1090 fps. That kinda gets you wondering if your packing enough umpphh...

That's some pretty hot load data. Would you mind sharing it here when you get your load dialed in?

As far as brass goes, I'm not sure what of the factory brands would be the best, but Starline is always quality.

jmden

WKR
That's some pretty hot load data. Would you mind sharing it here when you get your load dialed in?

As far as brass goes, I'm not sure what of the factory brands would be the best, but Starline is always quality.

Will do. Ordered KKM 6" barrel last night. Recommended over and over from many sources if you want to reload hot and use lead. I'm in that category, so...

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Will do. Ordered KKM 6" barrel last night. Recommended over and over from many sources if you want to reload hot and use lead. I'm in that category, so...

Do they make a shorter barrel for a G20 that has a similar pedigree?

Do you need to swap out the stock G20 barrel to shoot hot hard cast bullets?

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
The barrel they offer with the comp on it is pretty cool. I don't like the extra length though.

But the porting idea does get my wheels turning. Any good way to do it?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

YEs, KKM makes a standard length match grade barrel, IMO its the best aftermarket barrel for a block 20.

jmden

WKR
So how do you like the G40? I'm thinking about trading in a gen4 Glock 22 (Full Sized .40) to help fund the purchase of a G40.

Have only shot it a few rounds but it seemed to be very controllable as I've heard/read with reviews. Am waiting further load work up for KKM barrel after seeing the beating the brass was taking. Hopefully the KKM will be better in that regard. Not used to Glock sights either, but have some Ameriglo sights coming that I am used to.

TauPhi111

WKR

Seems a lot of people do use the KKM. I have a Lone Wolf 6" Alpha Wolf barrel which is their new model. It was on sale for a really good price. They have standard length and threaded models as well. Comes with a SBN coating and also has a match chamber like the KKM so the brass doesn't get beat up. Some people complain of chambering issues, but after initial break in, I have had 0 issues with feeding.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The biggest difference for me is that the KKM barre actually worked in my gun. The alpha wolf wouldn’t. I wish it would have but it wouldn’t cycle any sort of Ammo at all. It would load the first round and that was it, on one occasion I chambered a round and I couldn’t eject it. This is a common problem with these barrels, not all of them do this but many do as I found out when I look d into it on a few forums and Facebook glock groups. When I called lone wolf designs they knew exactly what I was talking about and said it was an easy fix if I wanted to send it in to them (of course I had to pay shipping). I just let them know that if it was such an easy fix, they should have done it before they sent it to a customer and that I would be happy paying the shipping back to them but instead of sending my barre back I wanted them to give me a refund. I should have gone with a KKM from the start.

Some peopl snbarrels work with no issues and that’s great, I’ll never. Y a lone wolf product again as I generally think they are lower end in quality.

Beendare

WKR
Something to factor into these hotter loads in a Glock.....the aftermarket barrels give you more case support. There are a lot of examples of guys getting bulged cases with the stock barrel.

Lone Wolf was recently bought out by another outfit....there are reports the quality has dropped...but I don't know how accurate that is.

I have a KKM barrel and its fractionally more accurate than my Stock barrel.

A good comparison is that Victory blog where they compared 10 or so Glock barrels in a ransom rest. KKM did well...so did the stock Glock barrels.
Heres a link...good info for anyone that has a Glock;
Barrel Race 2017 — Victory Gun Blog

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Something to factor into these hotter loads in a Glock.....the aftermarket barrels give you more case support. There are a lot of examples of guys getting bulged cases with the stock barrel.

Lone Wolf was recently bought out by another outfit....there are reports the quality has dropped...but I don't know how accurate that is.

I have a KKM barrel and its fractionally more accurate than my Stock barrel.

A good comparison is that Victory blog where they compared 10 or so Glock barrels in a ransom rest. KKM did well...so did the stock Glock barrels.
Heres a link...good info for anyone that has a Glock;
Barrel Race 2017 — Victory Gun Blog

It makes sense that they were bought and the quality went down, I had a few of the lone wolf barrels back in like 2010-2012 and they always worked great with absolutely no issues (other than you had to pay like 25 dollars extra to not get their crappy logo on the barrel). I was excited about the alpha wolf barrel but it was a massive letdown...Like I said, I never shot more than one round in a row through it and its not an isolated issue.

cowboy300

WKR
I have a Glock 20 10mm that Ive shot quite a bit. Started bone stock then added an aftermarket barrel because the stock barrel didnt work well with hot cast loads. I then added a red dot to play with on a trip to Texas to shoot some hogs. The red dot is nice for target shooting/hunting but it can be hard for some people to pick up the dot fast. I used an adapter plate that fits the stock sight dovetail so you dont have to have your slide milled. I put a Dawson Precision front sight that matched my point of aim if the red dot failed. It worked well and the confidence in the precision is nice for hunting. I shot the hogs with a 200gr hardcast going around 1250fps. Penetration was not a problem as all shots exited and buried in the ground. I also killed a lion this winter with it but with bonded 165jhp. My advise for pure bear defense would be standard length aftermarket barrel (for ease of use and finding aftermarket holsters) with real rifling for shooting hot 200gr hardcast loads and something like the XS big dot sight set up. For bear/critter defense I would focus on rugged reliability more than all out performance on your handloads, trigger, grip, sights etc.

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
The 20 serves a very specific purpose for me as a hunting backup pistol when I’m in predator country. Kept it stock and focused on a solid holster. Custom ordered a ronin with malice clips so I could mount to backpack belt.

There is peace of mind knowing that it’s a stock Glock, ready when I need it.