First Lite Customer Service = GARBAGE

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I just printed a return label for my Omen stormshelter pants. First season and the pant leg gatorish thing is ripping loose.

I sent pictures, and though it was a gift, I got the order number and I'm getting a new pair. I like their rain gear, have a couple other pieces that I've been in for two years with no issues.
That said if I could find some other brand that works as well and is as quiet, I'd consider it.

fishslap

WKR
I’ve returned older kanabs for major crotch blow out, and I’ve returned the corrugate foundry for stitching coming loose on the fly. I’m switching to kuiu for pants.
In my opinion, quality on the pants is a known issue and FL should fix the design/construction or plan to replace any non wear and tear failures regardless of when they happen. These are $200 pants shipped. I have prana and carhart that I’ve beat up for years with no issues.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a merino LS in August. Ripped along a seam in the armpit 2 weeks into into archery.

I have government issued cold weather shirts that have been through hell and back without a tear.

They really need to bump up their stitching/threads/whatever

I don’t have any of their pants but I’ve not had any issues with their gear I do have except for the light weight merino gloves that came apart. But the Woodbury, solitude bibs, a couple sets merino bases, Klamath, tundra balaclava, beenies,and etc I have all been great.

I also had an order get lost in the mail last year and they replaced it by next day air. Then when the original showed up a month or so later I called them and they said to consider it a gift.

Just my experience.

I just have a hard time with these hunting companies that charge a ton of money for over rated clothes. I have been using two pairs of Eddie Bauer guide pro pants for the last 3 years for all my hunting - bear, deer, elk, alaskan moose, upland, jack rabbits etc. if its cold I throw on some thermals underneath. They have been amazing - I paid $40/pair when they were on sale.

young7.3

WKR
I tried a puffy jacket from them. Paid 320 and it was SO thin! Wind cut right through it. Couldnt get a refund, only store credit. First time and last time I tried first lite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whaack

WKR
My experience is similar to OP. Liked the idea of FL, read all the reviews warning of poor durability. Went ahead anyway and bought a few pieces.

One whitetail hunt later the pants and shirt looked like I had hunted in them for a lifetime. Lesson kerned. Staying with Sitka.

whaack

WKR
Sitka Mountain Pants are bulletproof.

Ya most of their pants are. I’ve been using Sitka so long I kinda forgot what lesser quality stuff performs like.

Sitka is expensive. No doubt. And there is some real turds out there wearing it, but in terms of durability and function they are hard to beat imo.

NDGuy

WKR
I must either have great luck or something. I use almost exclusively FL and I have never had any issues outside of a busted crotch in some Kanabs. They replaced.
Quite literally zero issues and I have had over a dozen pieces. Clothing is tough to have an unconditional warranty for, look what happened to LL Bean.

Agross

WKR
Yeh same here. I can’t help but wonder what people are doing to have so many problems. I have a lot of first light pieces, tops, pants, gloves, hats,gaiters and have never had a problem . Maybe some pulled threads or pulls but that’s about it.

Colberjs

WKR
While I admit to being a bit of a FL fanboy, The only FL product I've ever had issues with were the merino pants (Obsidian or their predecessor, I don't remember which) and a pair of the Guide Lights that I got on clearance somewhere. I own more pieces than I can count and most everything has worked well. And I'm pretty hard on clothing.

I will say that I can understand them being hesitant to warranty something that is basically second-hand from their standpoint. If the person that gave them to you could find a receipt somewhere you may have a better chance. I've heard plenty of bad reviews on FL products. Fortunately its not the same experience I've had considering they actually make gear that fits me.

Edit: Kanabs were the ones that failed before. And they warrantied them for me the one time I called and asked about them. After that I stayed away from them until the Obsidian Foundry came out and a buddy of mine assured me they are built better than the older ones. I've only worn them a couple of days but so far so good.

I’ve got a lot of first lite stuff. Not saying it’s all garbage just that I expect it to be more likely to have quality issues than any other reputable outdoor brand. Other than maybe drake gear (waterfowl). I spent a bunch of $ on their waterfowl stuff as a broke college student around 2008 and all 3 supposedly waterproof garments were not remotely waterproof and all 3 had main zippers fail in less than a year. Junk.

Anyway, have the full sanctuary setup that I like a lot. Had an OG uncompahgre that was a standby for years until the zipper failed. Have corrugate guide pants that had crotch stitching come undone after a few days of casual wear. Have 3 Chama hoodies, all size large, but it seems like they were shooting for a luck of the draw whether made to fit ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph body types (not remotely the same size), and the original boundary stormtight “waterproof” was only rivaled in waterproof shittiness by the prior mentioned drake gear. Surprised I ever gave them another dime after after paying full price for that sieve.

Last edited: