First muzzleloader

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at getting a muzzleloader for hunting

Gotta be .50cal and will have to use iron sights Colorado hunting. So a good set of irons or ability to swa0 to a good set if it's worth the hassle
Budgeting around 700 and I'm looking at the Accura MRX and the TC Triumph but looking for any suggestions to fill the need.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I own a triumph exclusively for CO hunting with Williams sights and never had a complaint about accuracy or reliability. That being said, the CVA has great accuracy reviews and more features for the same price.. that would be my choice

Since Thompson center is currently not making any guns, I would pass. You’ll not have any support if you had an issue and finding parts could be an issue. Cva or knight is where I would look. The accura should do everything you’d want out of one.

UncleBone

WKR
I bought an accura mrx last year and it has done me good so far. Scheels had it on sale for $70 off. I have seen them for even less on camofire a few times.

taskswap

WKR
I have a CVA Accura V2 and really like it. If you're going to shoot much it helps to get a second breech plug. They aren't super expensive and it saves time cleaning at the range if you can clean two at a time with more shots between.

Definitely get a "range rod" too. The rod that comes with most muzzleloaders is meant for field use, not firing dozens of shots in one day. Many bend or break easily, especially where the threaded ends are for accessories. I have a spin-jag on mine and I'm not sure it's really THAT big of a deal but it seems to help loading a bit.

I upgraded the sights on mine, I can't recall the brand name (it was a few years ago) but I'm sure others here will chime in. But it's a "peep" style which is legal in CO (this style has no glass in it hence no magnification). Paired with a better front, it really helps a lot.

I know a lot of folks sneer at B.O.R. Lock's but I like them a lot. They're super easy to load, and they're legal in CO - specifically named in the big game brochure. I shoot a 50cal Federal 270gr copper and it performs great at the ranges I can shoot at anyway. (I'm no sniper.)

You probably know this already but you have to use loose powder, not pellets. Everyone has a different system for this but to save weight I don't use a brass powder horn. I actually use test tubes that I preload before a range day or hunt trip. I use mini corks for the end stoppers rather than plastic caps. I don't dump them on the ground on purpose, but if I lose one in the heat of the moment I don't have to worry about it.

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a CVA MR-X for my CO elk hunt. Open sights. Shoots great!!!!
What load are you using? I ha e a mule deer tag but would like one load for both elk and muleys

I have a CVA Accura V2 and really like it. If you're going to shoot much it helps to get a second breech plug. They aren't super expensive and it saves time cleaning at the range if you can clean two at a time with more shots between.

Definitely get a "range rod" too. The rod that comes with most muzzleloaders is meant for field use, not firing dozens of shots in one day. Many bend or break easily, especially where the threaded ends are for accessories. I have a spin-jag on mine and I'm not sure it's really THAT big of a deal but it seems to help loading a bit.

I upgraded the sights on mine, I can't recall the brand name (it was a few years ago) but I'm sure others here will chime in. But it's a "peep" style which is legal in CO (this style has no glass in it hence no magnification). Paired with a better front, it really helps a lot.

I know a lot of folks sneer at B.O.R. Lock's but I like them a lot. They're super easy to load, and they're legal in CO - specifically named in the big game brochure. I shoot a 50cal Federal 270gr copper and it performs great at the ranges I can shoot at anyway. (I'm no sniper.)

You probably know this already but you have to use loose powder, not pellets. Everyone has a different system for this but to save weight I don't use a brass powder horn. I actually use test tubes that I preload before a range day or hunt trip. I use mini corks for the end stoppers rather than plastic caps. I don't dump them on the ground on purpose, but if I lose one in the heat of the moment I don't have to worry about it.
Why can’t you use pellets?

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider

I like it, what powder do you use?

I switched the open sights to the Williams with the front fiber optic globe. I've been shooting Triple 7 100 grains (can't find Blackhorn) and both Powerbelt 330 Platinum and the Hornady Bore Driver ELDX 340. Both shooting > 0.5 inches at 50 yards. Actually had the ELDX shoot the same hole! I'm leaning toward the ELDX for hunting as I've shot 3 elk and 2 mule deer with ELDX's from my rifles. The Bore Driver 290 grain is suppose to be a better deer bullet, different shape and a bit harder??? Check out the Hornady pod cast on the ELDX bore driver. The Powerbelts seem a bit soft for elk but may be good for mule deer???

I'm going to play with 110 and 120 grains of Triple 7 and shoot it at 100 yards and see what it likes. Assuming it stops raining...lol.

Oh and I just got the muzzle loaders muzzle break. Haven't shot it yet, but a muzzle break really makes a difference with my 7 mm and 300 win mags.

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
I switched the open sights to the Williams with the front fiber optic globe. I've been shooting Triple 7 100 grains (can't find Blackhorn) and both Powerbelt 330 Platinum and the Hornady Bore Driver ELDX 340. Both shooting > 0.5 inches at 50 yards. Actually had the ELDX shoot the same hole! I'm leaning toward the ELDX for hunting as I've shot 3 elk and 2 mule deer with ELDX's from my rifles. The Bore Driver 290 grain is suppose to be a better deer bullet, different shape and a bit harder??? Check out the Hornady pod cast on the ELDX bore driver. The Powerbelts seem a bit soft for elk but may be good for mule deer???

I'm going to play with 110 and 120 grains of Triple 7 and shoot it at 100 yards and see what it likes. Assuming it stops raining...lol.

Oh and I just got the muzzle loaders muzzle break. Haven't shot it yet, but a muzzle break really makes a difference with my 7 mm and 300 win mags.
Sweet! I want the 777 over the black hills, it's 90bucks for 8oz as opposed to 30 for 16oz of 777. Call me cheap thats fine. I will spend some extra time cleaning my rifle and get 5 years worth of bullets with the savings.

The new sights are worth the money? Thanks for the hornady podcast tip! I'm listening to a vortex muzzleloading podcast now

Yes the globe fiber optic front sight is awesome. Reportedly you can just buy the front sight. In the past the rear sight wasn't tall enough and you had to buy the set. I just saw a thread that muzzle loaders . com said it was fixed?

The front and rear globe sights are like looking down a zero mag scope!!!!! I haven't used iron sights in forever and I'm shooting > 0.5 inch groups at 50 yards.

WCB

WKR
I have two TC Triumphs and like them but as someone else stated probably won't get any support.

I bought my wife a a Traditions Vortek from a DNR auction...Took me a day or two to get the bore cleaned out and the breech plug in like new condition and actually like the muzzleloader itself better. I like not having the hammer...It is a bit longer, feels more like a real rifle. It shoots the Federal Bore Lok Coppers 1.5" (maybe a tad less) @100 with 90gr by volume of 777 FFFG and about the same with 95gr volume of BH209. Fed 209A primers. I would recommend that gun to anyone.

I also have heard great things about the CVAs but haven't personally handled one.

Cva optima or better with the Williams fool proof adjustable peep and western front globe site will treat you well.

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up an lrx today the irons on it feel pretty nice already, may stick with it and see how it goes. Now I'm trying to build a budget gear list

ARK08

FNG
My preference is Thompson Center. I absolutely love my Triumph. CVA Optima will do just fine too.

I second the Leupold brand scope. For accuracy, I recommend loose powder, Hodgdon 777, weighed out. For projectile, I love the Hornady SST red sabots. They are a dream to load and accurate. I have no problems with 100 to 120 yd shots.

I would avoid anything with the word powerbelt in it. And I don't like pellets.