First Time Elk Hunting / Solo?

Ok I solo hunt a lot .
1- work out for 2 months before the trip . Lots of stairs, sit ups and medium weight reps. elliptical or treadmill every night . Elevate it as much as possible. Get a physical from your doctor is always a smart move.
2- Get a good GPS and if you go in far a sat phone is a great idea . I go in around 6-7 miles . You can forget cell phones . I always have my compass and a lot of extra batteries. Fire starter and space blanket a must .
3- Make friends with a local guide. A lot of times they with pack out an elk for you with there horses . Money well spent . Plus you have someone out there if you get injured.
4- Good Gortex uninsulated hiking boots , Merino wool socks, break them in while you work out
5 - Sawyer life straw and bottles . Awesome !!
6- Good Glass !!!! don't get cheap when it comes to Binos.
7- Goggle earth . Know that area .

I hope this helps . I've been doing the solo thing for a few years in the Rockies and have had some great times .

Great insights, thanks for this. Will check out the Sawyer Life Straw

I'm new at this but have a humble question which may turn out to be a dumb one so buckle up. When you say you hike in 6-7 miles, is that from the road? I ask because looking at the maps, I see that you can get some distance from where most roads end but seems like there's trail everywhere. Getting 6-7 miles away from any trail in Western Colorado seems impossible so just trying to understand a little more clearly what going "in deep" actually means.

Thanks!

There are no dumb questions . That is from the road. Have hunted 3 areas in Colorado . All three times got into Elk . I would take the trails in , Then about a mile or so then get off them . Just make sure you mark all your waypoints . One time my GPS took a shit and without my compass I would of been screwed. in Colorado hunt the edges of the burn and dark timber . You should definitely get into elk. Another option if you can find it is a horse drop off. Some guides will ride you in the dark early morning and drop you . Then you hunt your way out . Saves your legs. Hope this helps Bud.

There are no dumb questions . That is from the road. Have hunted 3 areas in Colorado . All three times got into Elk . I would take the trails in , Then about a mile or so then get off them . Just make sure you mark all your waypoints . One time my GPS took a shit and without my compass I would of been screwed. in Colorado hunt the edges of the burn and dark timber . You should definitely get into elk. Another option if you can find it is a horse drop off. Some guides will ride you in the dark early morning and drop you . Then you hunt your way out . Saves your legs. Hope this helps Bud.
Great insights. Thanks so much. I'd wondered whether I would bring an actual compass - your experience settles that dilemma.
I only started hunting a year ago but bug has bit and I'm addicted. Doing a backcountry elk hunt solo for my first go round is probably a catastrophe waiting to happen but there's not many meaningful ways for grown men to chase adventure anymore so I'm excited for the challenge.
The learning curve is steep so I really appreciate the advice

I just checked and I hunted south of the area you are hunting . In unit 181,18. Hunted north or rt 40. Nice area there are motels in Kremmling and places to get food and gas . If that is the area you are hunting try Chimney Rock and Grouse mountain . There are elk all through there . My buddy shot a nice one with his bow in 181 a few years ago.

GregB

WKR
I just checked and I hunted south of the area you are hunting . In unit 181,18. Hunted north or rt 40. Nice area there are motels in Kremmling and places to get food and gas . If that is the area you are hunting try Chimney Rock and Grouse mountain . There are elk all through there . My buddy shot a nice one with his bow in 181 a few years ago.
They may not be so great after everyone that googles elk hunting in that unit sees this post.

I almost always hunt alone in Oregon.

Love onX maps and Google earth. I do overview scouting with both of those. I make sure that I have the maps downloaded on my phone so I can access them without cellphone service. Im pretty lucky because I do have service often in the woods.

This year I got a SPOT sos device, which I will activate before hunting season. The wife wanted me to have some way of getting help.

I’m a paramedic, so I carry medical supplies on me, Incase I injure myself.

I’ve been spending as much as I can afford on upgrading gear. Been working out and cutting calories to get my weight down as much as I can before season starts.

I pin drop to my wife as often as I can my location. I have a compass on me. Still need to get a good GPS unit.

I try and go out and scout a hand full of times prior to season. Maps are great, but getting eyes on your terrain is crutial.

Have family in Colorado, so I’ve already started scouting areas out there for a 2020 archery hunt!

The west is different in many aspects from eastern hunting but it is vastly different in this regard. There is a wealth of public land here that no one living for 3 generations east of Montana has ever seen or understood. They are accustomed to living in tightly packed corridors and going out in hunting parties to tree stands or deer drives or baiting cornfields. Because of this there is more of a group mentality and a willingness to share info and spots because there is nothing left, no honey holes no treasured secret spots. The land has been parceled up and divvied out for hundreds of years so you might as well make it a fun social experience. Out here people understand subconsciously or otherwise that these resources are finite and if that information becomes mainstream there's nothing to stop anyone with an above average level of fitness from hunting and depleting those same locations. I'm not saying this to disparage you or anyone from that part of the country but it's just a cultural difference. So come here but adopt that mentality if you are successful and understand why its important to be a little cryptic. Now as far as hunting mentors and wanting to join a party my advice is this, you dont want to hunt with other people. If you're planning to do a backpack elk hunt by yourself you are already on the right track. Hunting with others is a pain in the ass, you have to dance around the topic of who will shoot first, what do they behave like when they are exhausted and deprived of food and sleep, are they fit enough to be able to keep up with you. It's all a big annoying charade that gets in the way of enjoying the solitude of the outdoors and knowing that you accomplished or failed at something on your own. I exclusively hunt on my own and I love it, I suspect you will as well. Let me know if you have any other questions or want help with something about backpack hunting and I'd be happy to help

Honest to God's truth right there^^^^^^

I think you’re fine going solo. Just be certain you have safety as a top priority: gps, phone back up battery, sidearm, etc.

Mike 338

WKR
That's how I started. it's good to scout in fair weather like right now. Throw on a day pack and just get lost. Lay down at night and go to sleep just where you are. Forget the truck. Get out on those peds and start climbing. These days GPS's are a game changer for that type of thing. When I say "get lost", I mean I got lost. Found some nice spots though. You learn by doing, so do.

Comerade

FNG
I grew up with it, and have done quite a few extended hunts by myself over the years.
The things I see and read these days would just confuse me. I would find an oldtimer, and get to know him.
Old time hunting practices are the fundamentals, it is great you are fit...this usually means you are serious. Good Luck

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
This September will be my first trip for elk and I’m going solo. My buddy that was supposed to com me isn’t able to go. I am doing a 5-6 day hunt. Just wondering if I should carry a pistol with me in CO.

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
This September will be my first trip for elk and I’m going solo. My buddy that was supposed to com me isn’t able to go. I am doing a 5-6 day hunt. Just wondering if I should carry a pistol with me in CO.

If you own one then it may be worth taking, just for the piece of mind. If you don’t (or even if you do but want to save weight) then I think a canister of bear spray is just as good or better.

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
If you own one then it may be worth taking, just for the piece of mind. If you don’t (or even if you do but want to save weight) then I think a canister of bear spray is just as good or better.

To expand on this- the things to possibly worry about:

Cougar- probably doesn’t matter if you have either of the two, if they attack you you’re probably screwed but it’s obviously extremely rare

Bear- they don’t want anything to do with you and they’re getting hunted during that time too. They want to stay away but if they do get too close then bear spray will work great.

Moose- deadliest animal in North America. Stay away. Not sure which of bear spray or side arm would be more effective- similar to cougar it feels like if they come at you youre pretty much screwed.

Crazy people- I haven’t encountered any people that made me nervous while in the field but i guess it could happen- this would be the only time a side arm would be better than spray, IMO.

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
I do travel nursing and was in Maryland last April to July and wasn't planning on Elk hunting so I just did pref points. Hospital funding fell through In NC so i ended up in Vegas in August and asked for a specific time frame late September to have more time and plan. Anyways they gave me 5 days early September off so I downloaded onx, elk 101 and researched 8 hours a day on here and my girlfriend just about killed me. We went out on public and I did take a handgun. It is a little nerve racking at night your first time, we had lots of cattle coming through at night and I was grateful to hear them start mooing but I had no clue what it was when the limbs started breaking super close to the tent at first. Ended up getting on a 5x5 and 3 cows the second day at 40 yds but he wouldn't give me a clear shot. I somehow lost my tight spot when my bow was strapped to my pack and was unable to relocate it after several hours of searching so I did learn a lot but you have lots of time to plan and going solo is sometimes your only option. I decided I'll be going every year. It gets me a lot more excited then waiting for the rut to sit in a lone wolf all day. Just type in every unit you are interested in using the search function and don't get down when you read the bad comments. They're out there about every unit. I think most people don't get far off the trails but you will find them eventually if you walk a lot. We had a huge storm come in at night and lots of bulls went off around 2am. I made a b line for them in the morning and that's how I found the 5x5. Also take Chris Roes course. I believe that would've been a game changer trying to get that bull to take a few more steps. GPS, extra batteries, iPhone with onx for topo, I took a battery juice box. It has enough for several phone charges incase it needs recharging every few days. There's tons of pack lists I just went off the elk101 list and brought barely anything extra. It gets expensive quick, especially walking into REI 10 days prior and trying to find the right pack online. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I do travel nursing and was in Maryland last April to July and wasn't planning on Elk hunting so I just did pref points. Hospital funding fell through In NC so i ended up in Vegas in August and asked for a specific time frame late September to have more time and plan. Anyways they gave me 5 days early September off so I downloaded onx, elk 101 and researched 8 hours a day on here and my girlfriend just about killed me. We went out on public and I did take a handgun. It is a little nerve racking at night your first time, we had lots of cattle coming through at night and I was grateful to hear them start mooing but I had no clue what it was when the limbs started breaking super close to the tent at first. Ended up getting on a 5x5 and 3 cows the second day at 40 yds but he wouldn't give me a clear shot. I somehow lost my tight spot when my bow was strapped to my pack and was unable to relocate it after several hours of searching so I did learn a lot but you have lots of time to plan and going solo is sometimes your only option. I decided I'll be going every year. It gets me a lot more excited then waiting for the rut to sit in a lone wolf all day. Just type in every unit you are interested in using the search function and don't get down when you read the bad comments. They're out there about every unit. I think most people don't get far off the trails but you will find them eventually if you walk a lot. We had a huge storm come in at night and lots of bulls went off around 2am. I made a b line for them in the morning and that's how I found the 5x5. Also take Chris Roes course. I believe that would've been a game changer trying to get that bull to take a few more steps. GPS, extra batteries, iPhone with onx for topo, I took a battery juice box. It has enough for several phone charges incase it needs recharging every few days. There's tons of pack lists I just went off the elk101 list and brought barely anything extra. It gets expensive quick, especially walking into REI 10 days prior and trying to find the right pack online. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info going on my first from driving from NJ to Colorado. Leaving on the 28th for the area around Steamboat Springs between Sarvis creek wilderness and the Mount Zirkel wilderness. Have 7 spots picked out on my onX. Can’t wait but understand that the odds are stacked against us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk