Firsthand info on SEVR

Hi, I am starting to look at my options for broad heads for elk this fall, I am stuck between iron will single bevel and the sevr 1.75, I have been shooting both this spring and both are flying great. Please tell me your firsthand experiences with sevr mechanicals on elk, whether success story or failure story I need info! Thanks In advance, feel free to pm if u don’t want to reply on open thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sold on iron will SB, more or less looking for info about the sevr and bad shots into bone and blood trails, more than likely will end up carrying a combo of iron will and sevr one for chip shots then one for longer range/ follow ups

I carry fixed and mech. last year I had killer bees and shot my elk frontal, passed through the body cavity and the broadhead exited but not the back half of arrow.
I had Sevr 1.5's and shot my mule deer 55yds broadside. Deer only ran 50yds and piled up, but the broadhead did not pass through. .
This year I'll have IW s series buff 125grn and Sevr 1.5s.

I’ve killed a few animals with sevrs now. Put a 2.0 through a shoulder blade on a hard quartering to shot. Had tip curl but the elk went 4 feet. I talked to sevr and they strongly recommended the 1.5 and said the tip was different on the 1.5 and better for elk. I believe the 1.75 has a similar build to the 1.5.

They fly stupid good, a few strops on a leather belt and they’re wicked sharp. No issues here using them.

I’ve been extremely happy with severs. Two deer with less then desirable shots went less then 50 yards. I know iron wills are popular and work great for a lot people I had a bad experience. I like getting a lot of blood. Sevr does that.

Shot sevr for 2 years they worked good just lacked in blood switched to evolution and have had zero issues . I owned all 3 sizes of sevr and harvested with all 3

I really wanted to like the 2.0 I killed a buck with them 2 years ago but last year ended up with a rodeo on 2 deer and not much penetration I think the 1.75 would be better but how much idk

this is really just a mechanical vs fixed question. I think Sevr is kind of the gold standard of mechanicals. The only thing better for elk would probably be the Evolution hybrid. However if you don’t get a pass through with that one your stuck with a tiny entry hole. If you have plenty of power I would opt for the Evolution. The Sevr is not a great penetrator but at least you get a big entrance hole.

Reactions: CMF
I've killed bulls with sevr 2.1, 1.5, and 2.0.

Did have one weird experience with a follow up shot. 2.0" really hard quartering away, shot placement was perfect for that angle. The arrow zippered the entire length of his ribcage and stuck into his shoulder. Never made into his cavity. Luckily the first arrow was money and he didn't go anywhere.

With the sevr if the blade hits any bone at all the blade will bend and then their pivoting feature fails. My sevr got stuck with one blade pushed back and one stuck out at almost a 90 degree angle. That failure sucked up all of the penetration. Luckily the elk did die but blood trail was non existant for 75 yards.

With the sevr if the blade hits any bone at all the blade will bend and then their pivoting feature fails. My sevr got stuck with one blade pushed back and one stuck out at almost a 90 degree angle. That failure sucked up all of the penetration. Luckily the elk did die but blood trail was non existant for 75 yards.
Yeah that is the downfall of all mechanicals is that there is lot more that can fail. Most gator style heads expand fully on impact then retract somewhat when going through the cavity. The Sevr at least provides the opportunity for the blades to stay open. Even then it does not happen every time.

Yeah that is the downfall of all mechanicals is that there is lot more that can fail. Most gator style heads expand fully on impact then retract somewhat when going through the cavity. The Sevr at least provides the opportunity for the blades to stay open. Even then it does not happen every time.
Which is why I wont use them for elk though, for deer they are fine. I would have rather had a blade break and the remaining blade stay in a swept back position. In my opinion that would at least lead to more cutting than a blade stuck straight out.

Reactions: Zac
Which is why I wont use them for elk though, for deer they are fine. I would have rather had a blade break and the remaining blade stay in a swept back position. In my opinion that would at least lead to more cutting than a blade stuck straight out.
I agree with that.

I am sold on iron will SB, more or less looking for info about the sevr and bad shots into bone and blood trails, more than likely will end up carrying a combo of iron will and sevr one for chip shots then one for longer range/ follow ups

I carry both and that’s what happened with me last year. IW SB 125 then a follow up with a sevr 2.0. Both passed through. Not sure if the sevr hit any ribs or not but I’d guess it didn’t.

80#
28.5”
525 grain arrow

I’ve killed 2 bulls with 1.5 SEVR. One was high back lung and bull went 60 yards. Not great blood but good enough. Second bull was frontal just inside the near shoulder as he rounded a 15 ft tall fir tree at 5 feet. Bull went maybe 20 yards. Found the arrow/broadhead touching the opposite hip bone at top of tenderloin.
No blood but wouldn’t expect much.
I always have at least one sevr. On elk I only carry the 1.5”, blade angle is much better for penetration than 1.7 or 2.0. I’ve killed several animals with each size.
The tip comment above on 1.5 being better for penetration is correct. 1.5 has more of a cut on contact tip, 1.7 is more of a muzzy punch tip.
I much prefer mechanical for the forgiveness they offer on poor shot execution under pressure and wider/larger cut that can make a difference at times.
I fully believe in shooting fixed and I do most of the time. Iron will are great but they all cut small. I typically carry 2 fixed and 2 mechanical.
Have been very happy with the evolutions I got last year.

They rattle like crazy in the quiver at the shot.
I put a second small braces rubber band over one locking tab and under the other. That takes the buzz out of almost all SEVR. I’ve done a cross cross on a few that were positive they were made to rattle

There are several threads on this already. Look below at the "Similar threads" section.

I've killed everything I've hit with one (the 1.5"), including 3 elk, a mule deer, and a whitetail. The 3 elk and mule deer were at ranges 8 to 63 yards, and they all went about 100 yards before dying. The whitetail I hit in the throat (overcompensated for a crosswind) but was able to follow him to bed and put another in him. I'm going to keep using them. They're like the easy button for broadhead selection.

Back