Fitbit? Garminvivo? Any recommendations?

Looking at getting a fitbit type deal to monitor sleep/workouts, anyone have a recommendation?

I wouldn't recommend the Garmin Vivofit, mainly because they are only good for a year and that's it.

Garmin makes a watch style that's nice. I would just get one that can be recharged so you can use it for a while.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Mrs is using a Fitbit charge Hr.....pluses heart rate is typically accurate, durability fine for city stuff but would want to cover it in the woods, buckle is very secure, feedback is nice, ability to compete with others for results so helps to stay accountable, counts calories, weekly/Daily results. Negatives some types of equipment do not measures steps, charging is about every other day. She would give it a 9 for the price of $130.

OP
Mxracer532
Garminvivo.

My understanding is they have watch batteries that you can change after they go dead. (About a year)

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
I have a vivosmart, it integrates with your smart phone to show messages, and phone calls, if left constantly connected via Bluetooth you get about a week of battery life out of it, and it is rechargeable. If you disconnect the bluetooth and only sync it once daily you can get about 3-4 weeks worth of battery out of it. I like the integration of the Garmin connect app as well I have other Garmin devices and you can view all of your activity data in the app. Good luck in your search!

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a Fitbit Charge for about 6 months until I lost it on a long hike in early December. I will probably replace it with the Charge HR. Only negative for me was the wristband would come unclipped when I wore it with certain gloves, particularly leather as it would get tacky and have a tendency to pull on the wristband, eventually causing it to come undone. I was always impressed with the step/distance counter compared to my gps... they usually came out within 5% of each other. Another plus is the fitbit tracks your 'staircases climbed', I'm not sure if the others do that. It's cool to see that you hiked 300 'staircases' at the end of the day.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My take on Fitbits....

In order to qualify for the "fit" benefit plan at work (reduced rates) we have to earn so many healthy incentive points per benefit cycle. They use Fitbit as one way to help us do this. If you earn a million steps you get X points, another X points for the next two million for a total of X points. With that said we have spent quite a bit of time using Fitbits and talking through them at work (sort of weird that everyone in the office wears the same watch). We have been using them for 4 years or so now.

Fitbit Zip
The original fit bit, simple effective, long batter life. Only tracks steps. But it utilizes a watch style battery that can be replaced. Its last a few months, but the small device is easy to lose or leave in your pocket. They don't do well going through the laundry cycle.. **

Fitbit Flex:
Ok, limited display, band was frustrating to use. Its now the one we passed off to the kiddos. *

Fitbit One:
Probably the best device for the outdoor adventure type in that its light, will hold a charge for 7-9 days+, and is pretty accurate. Despite newer models being out I keep my Fitbit One as option in my account. (More on that later) *** (I have gotten 11 ACTIVE days off of one charge, sheep hunt)

Fitbit Surge HR
Definitely my favorite device. Lots of options, it can track your runs, workouts, treadmill, spin bike, heart rate you name it. The Surge is sweat, rain, and "splash proof" but is NOT waterproof. Bummer in that it is not recommended for swimming. If it was waterproof, it would be the perfect outdoor device... The battery only lasts about two days, one if you really use the GPS options (where it can map your run, hike, walk, etc). So not so good for the backcountry, but great for training and around town. They claim 7 days, but I don't think I have ever gotten more than 3-4. Then again we try to get 10,000+ steps a day..

One of the fun features is that the Surge will track elevation. Its not an altimeter by any mean, in that it there is no elevation display. However, the internal "altimeter" calculates "altitude" based on changes in atmospheric pressure. The intent is to track how many "quasi floors" you've climbed. It will mark a floor when it "detects" ongoing motion combined with elevation gains of about 8-10 feet. Fitbit claims that 10 feet is the average of most floor heights. So if you go up a 20' set of stairs it should mark 2 floors.

What do I use?
If tracking and monitoring your steps is a critical piece of your workout plan, then I recommend two different devices. The Fiitbit One and the Fitbit Surge GPS HR. I utilize the Surge for all of my around town and daily adventures and work outs. I then use the Fitbit One for backcountry trips. I take my Suunto Spartan (a closeout deal!) for my watch and keep the fitbit one in a sealed zip lock in one of my cargo pockets. Its a great way to measure miles traveled in the backcountry and see just how high you climbed that day.

I can't speak for other brands/devices, because Fitbit is the only device we can use with our healthcare plan.

The new Fitbit Blaze is intriguing and it says it is more water-resistant than the Surge. So, if you like the idea of the Surge, the Blaze is $50 cheaper, and seems to have more options. I just can't speak to performance in any way. With that said, I plan to buy my wife one this spring. Will update when I know more.

One other tip, if you buy direct from Fitbit they do a good job following up on warranty issues. However, you do have to battle with a foreign help desk, and as such I highly recommend just keeping it simple and using the email option to contact them.

Another option is to use REI. They stand behind their products and dividend time is almost here!
All of the Fitbits at REI
http://goo.gl/WswGyb

If this link works, a comparison chart:
http://goo.gl/4kBf6a

One last thing.. I went to a benefit seminar here are at work. Our ancestors in the 50s typically averaged 10,000 steps a day, and VERY FEW exercised like we do. They just lived a more active life. The gal teaching the seminar stated our goal should be a minimum of 10,000 steps a day as a base, any workout steps should be in addition to. Pretty simple if you have an active job, "scaringly" difficult if you have a desk job.....

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
I have the Garmin Vivoactive. It does everything except heart rate so I am adding another band for that. Battery lasts well over a week so far but haven't done a lot with it as far as biking and hiking.

milunchbox

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Garmin Vivoactive. It does everything except heart rate so I am adding another band for that. Battery lasts well over a week so far but haven't done a lot with it as far as biking and hiking.

I have been scouting these out, I think I need one. How do you like it?

wl704

FNG
I've got the fitbit charge hr and the app on my phone. I've got no complaints. Tracks sleep, exercise, heart rate, calories burned and with the app to track food/calls in and set/track progress toward goals.

Grumman

WKR
I've also been happy with the Fitbit Charge HR. The vibrating alarm is actually really nice. Wakes me up a few minutes before my annoying alarm clock does. I get 3-5 days on a charge and it only takes around 90 minutes to recharge.

xziang

WKR
In order to qualify for the "fit" benefit plan at work (reduced rates) we have to earn so many healthy incentive points per benefit cycle. They use Fitbit as one way to help us do this. If you earn a million steps you get X points, another X points for the next two million for a total of X points.

I'm sorry I'm not promoting to 'cheat' for it is your health but I couldn't but help thinking of affixing the fitbit to my dogs collar and playing fetch over and over again.

On a serious note I was able to pick up a Polar RC3 for 103.00 (173 now) at REI on sale and I'm going to give that a try. I am curious about heart rate more than distance and such for I'll use it indoors riding rollers.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sorry I'm not promoting to 'cheat' for it is your health but I couldn't but help thinking of affixing the fitbit to my dogs collar and playing fetch over and over again.

Ha! I work with a bunch of engineers. I hear a lot of crazy ideas of how to work the system! Its typically not a problem to get enough points if you are active though. : )

ChrisS

WKR
I ended up with Charge HR and so far I like it. I track calories consumed on lose it, but I think the fitbit might be more accurate on calories burned because of the heart rate. It doesn't track much for me rowing, other than an increased heart rate.
The vibrating alarm is actually really nice
One of my favorite features as well. I can get up and out of bed without the radio going off and waking up the wife (especially when it's fishing/hunting time and I'm waking up at 0400).

Ha! I work with a bunch of engineers. I hear a lot of crazy ideas of how to work the system! Its typically not a problem to get enough points if you are active though. : )

Yeah, we actually had an ethics video that was released corporately where the guy put his pedometer on a shaker table (used for testing vibration on spacecraft parts to simulate launch). We can get $650/yr in a health fund for pedometer miles, so I'm not gonna lie I've thought about it. I have put my pedometer on my shoe when on the stationary bike; it's uncomfortable but it works.

I just ordered a Scosche Rhythm+ as it's supposed to be the most accurate of the optical (non chest strap) heart rate monitors. Looking forward to seeing what my workouts look like. I can't wear any of these things at work, so the heart rate monitor is all I really wanted/needed and was the deciding factor.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Fitbit Charge HR. On my 3rd one... Be careful with the charger. It kind of locks in on the underside and if you remove it at an angle it can pull the underhousing off. Its SORT OF accurate. If your HR gets too high or you sweat it loses the tracking. I also run a chest strap device (formerly Suunto Ambit 2, now Garmin Fenix 3) for when I workout. Chest strap monitors are typically known to be the more accurate device. I would say the Fitbit routinely over estimates my calorie loss during workouts. I also agree with being able to "game" the device. Any repetitive wrist movement will usually be recorded as a step. (insert inappropriate chuckle here!) For instance, when using a pole saw cutting trees for shooting lanes, it was mid-morning and all of the sudden my "Hooray! 10,000 Steps!" alert came on. Similar using hand saws, hammers, even some weight lifting. I'm usually about 1500 to 2000 steps ahead of my Garmin Fenix steps at the end of a day. For what it is, its a pretty neat little device, but take your results with a grain of salt. You may not be doing quite as much as what it implies. And don't get me started on the sleep function. Lol. Looking at those result will drive you batty. Not even sure what you would do to adjust. Happy to answer any questions if you have them.

Takeem406

WKR
I have a vivosmart, it integrates with your smart phone to show messages, and phone calls, if left constantly connected via Bluetooth you get about a week of battery life out of it, and it is rechargeable. If you disconnect the bluetooth and only sync it once daily you can get about 3-4 weeks worth of battery out of it. I like the integration of the Garmin connect app as well I have other Garmin devices and you can view all of your activity data in the app. Good luck in your search!
Have you had issues updating yours?

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
Have you had issues updating yours?

Do you mean with updating software on the device or with syncing with the phone app?

On either one I have not had an issue but you have to have the app open for it to sync with the smart phone, since I don't keep the app open all day when I do open it I will force a sync.

To do that you just double tap the screen to light it up then press and hold the screen and the menu will come up, if you swipe once to the left there is the front and back arrows with the app open on your smart phone tap that and it will force the sync. Make sure when attempting this that bluetooth is turned on.

From that same menu you can turn Bluetooth on and off it is one more swipe to the left from the sync button. Once you click on the Bluetooth logo it will give you the option to turn it on and off.

Sorry if I made this sound stupid just wanted to address any issue that I could think of.

If there is some other issue you are having let me know.