FL Wick or Kuiu Ultra Merino 120

SDSmacker

FNG
Does anyone have experience with both of these? Looking at getting a long sleeve shirt primarily for early season elk hunting. How do they compare?

Jbxl20

WKR
I use Mostly kuiu outer layers but I’d recommend first lite for merino. I have two wiks, love them.

WMag338

WKR
I've used both. First Lite is a smoother wool and doesn't make me itch. The kuiu is good too, just rougher to the touch than FL. I feel like both perform equally as good as each other.

Cyril

FNG
I have both. First lite is a softer feel, more comfortable. Kuiu is lighter weight. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either again, I buy what I can on sale. If all things are equal, I would probably lean firstlite. If it was consistently going to be over 75 degrees, I would probably go with the kuiu peloton 118 or the kuiu Gila line.

OP
S

SDSmacker

FNG
I looked into the Peleton and Gila but I'm worried about them smelling bad, especially if I wear it for a week straight without washing. I'll probably end up going with whichever brand I can find a deal on first. Thanks for the replies!

sr80

WKR
I tried the kuiu 120 hoody last early summer. I was going to consider using it for a warm weather layer for sheep hunting, I liked it out if the box, but after 2-3 training hikes my pack wore holes in the front where the shoulder straps rode. Surprisingly kuiu took it back under warranty. I believe the wick is a 150 weight so it would be more durable I would think.

K_pem

WKR
I really like the Wick with the Sitka Core LW Hoody. I can wear both together and/or rotate one on and off if i sweat something out or get wet.

I know this is an older thread but in my personal experience the 120 125 and 145 from kuiu have all stood up to the test of time. My first lite wick is very comfortable but got a hole the very first time I wore it hunting (it was under a shell but a branch poked a hole right through it in the neck opening of the grid fleece) and for the same money my minus 33 woolverino has been just as comfortable and far more durable than the FL. I wear my kuiu stuff all the time in the hot weather. Scouting, training etc and no issues so far nock on wood.

Does anyone have experience with both of these? Looking at getting a long sleeve shirt primarily for early season elk hunting. How do they compare?
I have both, Wick 100 times out of 100. I have a Kuiu merino 145 that I love, bought the 120 on sale thinking it would be similar but it's not, the neck and wrist stretch and get loose over the course of a day which doesn't happen with the 145. My Wick is great, all my FL merino is.

Edit: Sucked into an old thread again dammit.

I have both, Wick 100 times out of 100. I have a Kuiu merino 145 that I love, bought the 120 on sale thinking it would be similar but it's not, the neck and wrist stretch and get loose over the course of a day which doesn't happen with the 145. My Wick is great, all my FL merino is.

Edit: Sucked into an old thread again dammit.
That's my fault man, lol. I've had the opposite experience with FL but I'm curious as to your experience. Do you find garment to garment variance in your wick pieces?

That's my fault man, lol. I've had the opposite experience with FL but I'm curious as to your experience. Do you find garment to garment variance in your wick pieces?
lol no worries. I only have the one Wick piece, but I have all the different weights including the older one they don't sell anymore which is actually my favorite weight. I can't say I've ever worn the Furnace, it's just too hot. Most of these are 5-6 years old at this point and been worn and washed a lot. The Kuiu 145 gets used a lot also in West Texas, it's actually a replacement. The first 145 I threw in the washing machine and it came out with holes everywhere, Kuiu reluctantly replaced it and suggested I hand wash the replacement. I throw that piece in one of my wife's bra bags and wash it that way, but I've never had any issues with the FL merino at all. My oldest piece is a little faded but that's it. That Kuiu 120 is just plain junk IMO, wish I wouldn't have bought that one.

lol no worries. I only have the one Wick piece, but I have all the different weights including the older one they don't sell anymore which is actually my favorite weight. I can't say I've ever worn the Furnace, it's just too hot. Most of these are 5-6 years old at this point and been worn and washed a lot. The Kuiu 145 gets used a lot also in West Texas, it's actually a replacement. The first 145 I threw in the washing machine and it came out with holes everywhere, Kuiu reluctantly replaced it and suggested I hand wash the replacement. I throw that piece in one of my wife's bra bags and wash it that way, but I've never had any issues with the FL merino at all. My oldest piece is a little faded but that's it. That Kuiu 120 is just plain junk IMO, wish I wouldn't have bought that one.
Wel crap. I just got a 120 and I love the weight of it but haven't used it hard yet.... hope mine holds up better than thar! I did get it on outlet sale though so if it dies after a season or two, it dies I guess

Wel crap. I just got a 120 and I love the weight of it but haven't used it hard yet.... hope mine holds up better than thar! I did get it on outlet sale though so if it dies after a season or two, it dies I guess
My issue with the 120 is the material seems to stretch and get loose very easily. I can wear the 145 for 5 days straight and it fits the same, the 120 by midday the neck is sagging and loose as well as the wrists.

My issue with the 120 is the material seems to stretch and get loose very easily. I can wear the 145 for 5 days straight and it fits the same, the 120 by midday the neck is sagging and loose as well as the wrists.
I do love my 145 so much I should really buy another. I wish Kuiu would make the 145 in a plain crew and a short sleeve