Flanged footers/collars and HIT inserts

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I was just wondering if I need to take into account the flange on a collar when setting the depth of the HIT insert. never used either so I am a rook when it comes to this.

If I need to adjust the depth of the HIT insert, what is the easiest most consistent way of doing so.

Thanks

every HIT insert package come with an install tool, install the insert first then put on the collar after, I wouldn't try and install the inserts without the tool

Trial153

WKR
Yes you will need to seat them a hair shallow to account lenth flange otherwise you may run into an issue with a short threaded broadhead.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
If the collar slides on easy...insert the HIT partially with the tool and epoxy, then slide the collar on and use the tool to go the rest of the way.

nphunter

WKR
It depends on the footer you are using. The Iron Will, for example, you don't need to worry about it at all because it is only a couple thousandths thick, most heads have 1/4" or more thread engagement. If you are installing a thick footer I would install the footer first and then do the HIT install. It will definitely be a cleaner job to do the HIT's first though.

The point of the flanged insert is you don’t have to glue them on. In that case I would seat the hit all the way to the shaft so you can shoot with or without the collar on.

If you plan to glue the collars on then you can adjust the hit depth if you want.

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Why don't you just put the collar on and then install the HIT, the tool will stop at the flamge.
No need to make this difficult

Never installed either before, I didn't know I could do that. That makes life nice a easy. Thanks

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Never installed either before, I didn't know I could do that. That makes life nice a easy. Thanks

This seems like the worst way to go about this. You will get epoxy all over the collar. Listen to the words that are coming out of my keyboard...put hit in part way...then put on collar and push HIT the rest of the way in.

Or as mentioned, if it is a really thin collar, don't worry about it.

Trial153

WKR
This seems like the worst way to go about this. You will get epoxy all over the collar. Listen to the words that are coming out of my keyboard...put hit in part way...then put on collar and push HIT the rest of the way in.

Or as mentioned, if it is a really thin collar, don't worry about it.
You see any expoxy on these. Do about 6 dozen then come back and talk to me.
8b51464e45ef45a4ddbce95d5f6931d2.jpg

Trial153

WKR
Actually, yes I do, along with on your shafts. A bunch of them look buggered up.
That's tape residue from the hockey tape that shafts were held together with. There isnt any amount of expoy on the footings to speak of, no more then would have be on the wipe of the shaft if you seated the HIT without the footing. Have you even tried it or are you surmising for your ego?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Install the HIT's as intended and then use the collars or don't use the collars. You'll end up getting rid of a collar anyway if it bends.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It depends on the footer you are using. The Iron Will, for example, you don't need to worry about it at all because it is only a couple thousandths thick, most heads have 1/4" or more thread engagement. If you are installing a thick footer I would install the footer first and then do the HIT install. It will definitely be a cleaner job to do the HIT's first though.

Actually, the Iron Will Impact Collar flange is twenty thousandths thick, but there should be enough thread engagement even if the HIT inserts are installed without the collar in place.

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Actually, the Iron Will Impact Collar flange is twenty thousandths thick, but there should be enough thread engagement even if the HIT inserts are installed without the collar in place.

Bill, I just ordered 6 BH with collars. When you install your HITs do you take into account the flange or not? You say should be enough...