Flat Top Wilderness Guides

Hi Guys - I'm starting the process of picking an elk outfitter for an archery hunt and I wanted to know if anyone has hunted elk with the guys at Flat Top Wilderness Guides. Any info would be appreciated as this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for me and I'd like to get as much info as possible.

Thanks

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
I almost booked with Cliff. He runs a great service and has great equipment according to all the references I talked to. His area is a really good later season deer area, but on the marginal side for Elk. You certainly would have a good experience with his service. The references said all his guides were knowledgeable and hard working. A couple deer references said there are 160-170" deer around. The Elk references said they were tough to locate and mostly rags and nothing much above 260". Cliff is a really intelligent guy and knows the business as well as anyone I've ever talked to.

MN Hunter

FNG
Could you please send me the same PM, I was thinking about using them for a archery elk hunt next season.

Thanks.

OJHunter

FNG
I am thinking about booking a hunt with Flat Top Outfitters for an upcoming season. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

qblowry

FNG
Did anyone go the route of Elk hunting with Flat Top? I am new elk hunter from back east. Went to Montana last year DIY and got skunked pretty bad so looking at getting an outfitter in Colorado. Was looking at Flattop, appreciate any help or advice for getting started.

MN Hunter

FNG
I hunted archery elk with Flat Top Wilderness Guides a couple of years ago. We did a drop camp with them and hunted 12 hard days. Saw 2 spikes, 4 cows and a nice 5x5 but never got a shot opportunity. No bears, but a lot of moose. We hunted the the last 2 weeks of the archery season, no buggles, very hot. Great trip over all

qblowry

FNG
MN Hunter, Really appreciate the feed back we are looking at a dropcamp as well for 2nd season rifle. Last year one thing we realized is we should of picked up and moved hunting areas, you always hear have a backup plan after backup plan. We should of moved ground the elk had moved onto mostly private even though they were there. I worry 2nd season rifle will be even more pressure and what elk are there in archery will be moved off by then. Anyways thank you again for the feedback really appreciate it, good luck in your future endeavors.

Gapmaster

WKR
Be aware.. just because you are in a drop camp doesn’t mean you will be shooting animals out of the tent. Most of these camps are in the same locations year in year out. Yes, hopefully your outfitter has them in good spots but you will still have to find the animals. Expect to have to cover several miles in the event they aren’t just right outside the camp. I hunted the “Flattops” years ago with an outfitter. We did the whole drop camp thing. It was a great experience, but I was sorely disappointed with the hunting. The elk we did find were 3+ miles away. Tons of old sign all around camp, but the elk had moved. Like I said it was a awesome experience, but you need to have realistic expectations on the hunting. Good luck!!

qblowry

FNG
Gapmaster, I really appreciate the feedback! That's a beautiful bull in your profile pic. If you don't mind answering do you prefer going with outfitter/guide vs diy? What you are saying makes total sense, we have been looking into renting our own pack animals and getting further in by ourselves as another solution. Thanks again, its much appreciated.

md126

WKR
Never hunted with FTWG but spoke to them about possibly offering pack out services during a diy hunt i did there. They seemed legit and easy to work with. I'd have no problem considering them on a guided hunt.

That being said, I’ve done a guided hunt and a diy hunt in the Flat Tops. On public land like that the biggest advantage to having a guide are access to horses and meals, logistics, etc.. If you're in shape and do your research you can have just as good, if not better, actual hunt than w/ a guide. I had a much better and more rewarding hunt by myself and saved 5K too. Just my 2 cents

Gapmaster

WKR
Gapmaster, I really appreciate the feedback! That's a beautiful bull in your profile pic. If you don't mind answering do you prefer going with outfitter/guide vs diy? What you are saying makes total sense, we have been looking into renting our own pack animals and getting further in by ourselves as another solution. Thanks again, its much appreciated.
That was the only elk hunt I've ever been on that was outfitted. All the rest have been DIY. Honestly its all about personal preference. We did it because we wanted the experience of a deep back country hunt. I wouldn't trade the memories of that hunt for anything. That being said, I don't know that I would ever hire an outfitter again either. Not that they did anything wrong, just that I know what I'm doing, (well, I like to think I do most of the time anyway!).

I don't think renting horses would be an ideal situation for you unless you are highly experienced with horses in steep back country. Lots of things besides hunting that you will be having to deal with.

All you can do is get yourself into shape, research your proposed outfitter, shoot everyday and get ready to have a memorable experience. I did not mean to sway you away from drop camps, just saying that its not always a chip shot when you start looking for the elk.

qblowry

FNG
Thanks GapMaster and MD all the feedback is really appreciated. I am trying to get in good shape, been running and rucking some. The little sign I did see last year seemed like it was always in and around the nastiest country for the most part, also alot of the terrain had a blow down, so you couldn't get where you wanted very fast. That was the first trip out west looking to do many more, can't pay for an outfitter year to year so it would be nice to find something that works for me and my family we can do every year together. Thank you for all the help! Has anyone ever used llamas?

Garrett58

FNG
My dad and I rented llamas back in 1990 for an archery elk hunt in Idaho, they are more user easy than horses but you only get about 60lbs of dead packing weight. You don't have to take pack in feed and all the tack equipment horses require, you simply stake them out each day and get them to water once a day (the requirements of the renter at that time, I don't know if that has changed). So for backpacking hunt they seem to fit the bill. They get some of the load off your back and the maintenance in minimal. Horses are tremendous asset - but you should have experience with them to take them into the back-country and they require more knowledge, experience and equipment.

qblowry

FNG
Appreciate the feedback! Llamas seem like they would be a better route for us then for sure.