floor vs. floorless?

1hoda

Banned
Floor all the way. Way back in the dark ages of the early 1970s I had a floorless tent. A few nights with a wet bag convinced me I was never ever going back there again.

colonel00

WKR
Floor all the way. Way back in the dark ages of the early 1970s I had a floorless tent. A few nights with a wet bag convinced me I was never ever going back there again.

Why was your bag wet? That just seems to be a very vague comment. Back in the 70's did you use a sleeping pad? That should have kept your bag up off the ground. How about a ground sheet? Did your floorless shelter flood due to excessive rain?

1hoda

Banned
Anyone who's ever spent the night in a downpour even with a sleeping pad knows your bag will get wet. All you need is one part of your bag to slide off the pad and it soaks up water. There no way to keep your bag 100% on the pad as you move around in it. As for ground sheet- same deal if there is enough water coming down it will find a way into you shelter. For me the small amount of weight the floor adds is a great insurance policy for both comfort and safety. However ,a floor won't be for everyone.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I typically pitch my floorless shelters where the rain won't flow under the shelter. I have slept dry under a floorless shelter many times.

I don't really now where my SL5 nest even is right now.

dotman

WKR
Anyone who's ever spent the night in a downpour even with a sleeping pad knows your bag will get wet. All you need is one part of your bag to slide off the pad and it soaks up water. There no way to keep your bag 100% on the pad as you move around in it. As for ground sheet- same deal if there is enough water coming down it will find a way into you shelter. For me the small amount of weight the floor adds is a great insurance policy for both comfort and safety. However ,a floor won't be for everyone.

2 years ago I had 7 days and nights straight of rain, only water that got in was on the edges and only came in a few inches. It's all on placement.

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
I've spent the night in a downpour even with a sleeping pad and my bag wasn't wet.

As far as a small amount of weight, for my SL5, the nest weighs more then the fly. Granted, it's a whole nest and not just a floor.

duchntr

WKR

I am going to disagree, I can say with certainty that there is a learning curve from going from a floored shelter to floor-less. I had never used a tarp for a shelter until i joined the army, I certainly didn't know anything about it. I learned quick how to properly set up my shelter in areas where water flows around, in situations where this was impossible ( rain saturated ground) you can dig a small ditch around your shelter to give the water a place to go. Its all common sense really, if it looks like water will flow under your shelter then move. I have logged a lot of nights under a tarp in heavy rain and snow since then and stay perfectly dry and so do many others

Have you found the carbon fiber pole to be pretty durable? That's my hesitation with them. The weight reduction over aluminum would be great.

I just bought the pole so, I haven't used it yet. I did however, have a carbon fiber pole from Seek Outside for my LBO and it seemed to be very durable. I also have one for my 12 man tipi and, haven't had any problems with it either.

I just bought the pole so, I haven't used it yet. I did however, have a carbon fiber pole from Seek Outside for my LBO and it seemed to be very durable. I also have one for my 12 man tipi and, haven't had any problems with it either.

Did you get the .650 pole for your mid??

Bob

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all, I just found this forum while doing some research on floorless tents. I have a couple of questions that you guys maybe able to help me with. I live in Alaska and I'm looking for a new tent to use on my upcoming walk-in sheep hunt. I drew the Delta Walk-in sheep tag for you Alaska guys. I was looking for a GoLite SL-3 or SL-5 but can't seem to find one and GoLite went belly up. So, I have been looking at the Bear Paw Luna 4 and the Black Diamond Mega Light. What are your guys thoughts on these tents? Will a tent like these hold up in sheep mountains? I have several other tents but I like the weight of these tents for the walk-in hunts. I have never used a floorless tent other then the ones the Army uses. I do have some hesitation going floorless but willing to give it a chance with a open mind. My son will be going on this hunt with me and my old hunting partner is wanting to fly back up and go on the hunt with me also, so it will probably be 3 of us on this hunt. Thanks in advance for any help/info.

duchntr

WKR
Hello all, I just found this forum while doing some research on floorless tents. I have a couple of questions that you guys maybe able to help me with. I live in Alaska and I'm looking for a new tent to use on my upcoming walk-in sheep hunt. I drew the Delta Walk-in sheep tag for you Alaska guys. I was looking for a GoLite SL-3 or SL-5 but can't seem to find one and GoLite went belly up. So, I have been looking at the Bear Paw Luna 4 and the Black Diamond Mega Light. What are your guys thoughts on these tents? Will a tent like these hold up in sheep mountains? I have several other tents but I like the weight of these tents for the walk-in hunts. I have never used a floorless tent other then the ones the Army uses. I do have some hesitation going floorless but willing to give it a chance with a open mind. My son will be going on this hunt with me and my old hunting partner is wanting to fly back up and go on the hunt with me also, so it will probably be 3 of us on this hunt. Thanks in advance for any help/info.

I have a luna 4 and you get what you pay for, the stitching isn't on par with say Seek's tipis, but for the price Id say go for it.. Ive got maybe 30 nights in it, a few on kodiak too with some really strong winds and it held up. I think its a solid 2 man shelter with room for gear, I've done 3 people and it was a bit tight. Cant help you with the sheep hunting part as this will be my first year chasing them but i think ill be taking the luna.

Schleppy

Lil-Rokslider
I had a mouse jump onto my shoulder while I was sleeping last elk season. He crawled under the edge of the tipi out of the rain and said hello. I swatted him off my shoulder and he didnt come back. At least it wasnt a bear.

Lil-Rokslider
duchntr,

Overall are you happy with your Luna 4? Would you buy from them again? I have read a lot of good stories and bad stories about there quality. Several people have mention stitch work and wrinkles (fabric not smooth and taunt). Like I said I'm new to floorless and don't want to jump in with both feet and spend lots of $$$ at first in case I don't like it. So that's the reason I was looking at the Luna 4, GoLite SL-5 (can't find one) and the Mega Light but I want to make sure I get a decent one also.

My setup this year will be the mountainsmith mountain shelter lt, a ground sheet from an sl2, pad and bag. I'll be using this from July through October here in oregon. After reading this thread as well as a few others his seems like it Wil be the most versatile setup for me. Total shelter weight should be right at 3 pounds plus my trekking poles but I don't count them as shelter weight as they are a multi use item. I also have an 8oz bivy I'll throw in for those nights I don want to hike back to my shelter.

jtw

WKR
Matt - that is my setup except I use a polycro sheet for a ground cloth. Saves a little more weight.

OP
E
Hello again,
Thanks again guys for the insight and ideas. I'm glad the topic was helpful to others as well!