Florida Sambar

Uttlc

FNG
A couple buddies and I got drawn for Sambar Deer on St. Vincent Island in Florida. We were actually drawn last year, but the hunt was cancelled due to Hurricane Michael. Has anyone on here done this hunt? Looking for some tips on hunting these critters as there isn't a whole lot of info out there. We're trying to do as much research as we can before we go.

The hunt is primitive weapons only so muzzleloader or bow only, and we have to ferry everything over from the mainland to the island. Once on the island, we planning on staying for the duration of the hunt. This will be a bit different than anything I've ever done, so any pointers are appreciated!

Be prepared for mosquitoes.

Hunted Sambar twice in New Zealand.

Sitting in a tree over the largest piece of ground you can possibly see over has to be the best strategy.

ShakeDown

WKR
Lots of guys use bikes to get around the island. I was supposed to go on a whitetail hunt last year but we had our second daughter. Bring a thermacell :)

Should be a fun hunt, good luck!

OP
Uttlc

Uttlc

FNG
Lots of guys use bikes to get around the island. I was supposed to go on a whitetail hunt last year but we had our second daughter. Bring a thermacell :)

Should be a fun hunt, good luck!

I heard that about the bikes. I converted a kid bike trailer to a flat bed bike trailer to haul my climbing stand and whatever else I might need. Have the thermacell and some pure deet spray ready to go. I also heard the fishing is good so planning on bringing a couple setups for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StorMay05

FNG
Me and my dad will be there this fall as well as we got pulled last year. It’ll be our first sambar hunt but try and do a white tail hunt on the island every year. First off as mentioned above bring mosquito repellent and snake boots/leggings in case it warms up. The mosquitos will carry you away on a hot day.

For getting around the island bikes are best. We use a toddler cart to pull are stands and gear around. Parts of the island can take a long way to get to so being on foot isn’t always great.

For hunting a climbing stand will be your best bet. Under brush here is thick and sitting on the ground you might never get a shot. Plenty of trees to climb so don’t worry there. Last time I was there (Jan 2018) the sambar we’re moving all over the island. They use to only stay on the eastern end in the swamps. Supposedly they like swampier areas but idk.

See your post since typing this. Definitely bring some rods good fishing salt and fresh.

How are y’all planning on getting to the island and which end are y’all going too?

Rich M

WKR
Don't forget about soft sand. Plenty of that around.

Sambar like it wet. There is a book on the biology of Sambar deer on St Vincents - google it.

I was drawn in 2008 or so and was unable to go cause I lost my job - had done all the homework and think it would be a fun hunt.

Enjoy your trip.

OP
Uttlc

Uttlc

FNG
Me and my dad will be there this fall as well as we got pulled last year. It’ll be our first sambar hunt but try and do a white tail hunt on the island every year. First off as mentioned above bring mosquito repellent and snake boots/leggings in case it warms up. The mosquitos will carry you away on a hot day.

For getting around the island bikes are best. We use a toddler cart to pull are stands and gear around. Parts of the island can take a long way to get to so being on foot isn’t always great.

For hunting a climbing stand will be your best bet. Under brush here is thick and sitting on the ground you might never get a shot. Plenty of trees to climb so don’t worry there. Last time I was there (Jan 2018) the sambar we’re moving all over the island. They use to only stay on the eastern end in the swamps. Supposedly they like swampier areas but idk.

See your post since typing this. Definitely bring some rods good fishing salt and fresh.

How are y’all planning on getting to the island and which end are y’all going too?

I think our plan is to set camp on the east side of the island, closer to the swampy areas. We've got a local guy with a boat to ferry us over and back. We're coming from Houston, so will likely make the drive straight through on the 20th, but may decide to leave the 19th and spend a night on the way. I hadn't thought about the snake situation, thanks for mentioning that.

StorMay05

FNG
I think our plan is to set camp on the east side of the island, closer to the swampy areas. We've got a local guy with a boat to ferry us over and back. We're coming from Houston, so will likely make the drive straight through on the 20th, but may decide to leave the 19th and spend a night on the way. I hadn't thought about the snake situation, thanks for mentioning that.

Sounds good. Well be on that side of the island as well. We plan on some scouting trips if the weather isn’t too bad. I’ll keep an eye for extra areas.

We’ll be in a 24 CC boat with an emerald green T Top so com le by and introduce yourself if you see us

sram9102

WKR
I didn't know this was a thing... adding this to the list of yearly apps.

Kilboars

WKR
Congrats on the tag. It was a hunt I wanted to do and looked into but the dates would never work for me. There's a few videos online I found.

Sounds like you guys have it figured out. I had also heard you couldn't hunt past 3pm. Not sure if thats true or not.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

ohoopee

WKR
Never been on a hunt on that Island but I do one hunt every year on an Island off the coast of GA. Use permethrin, I usually spray tent floor or hammock, undershirt, boxers and socks. Even though the recommended use is not for against the skin garments. Also remember, dont over inflate bike tires. Soft sand is UGHHHH on those island trails. Did I say use permethrin?

StorMay05

FNG
I wanna say they did away the the 3pm rule, or maybe it use to be 1pm but moved it to 3, I can’t remember right now.

Not sure how the roads are. The bike roads usually have enough oyster shells that sand isn’t to bad. But the Island had a lot of storm surge so who knows how bad they are.
I spoke with the refuge manager in December he said the roads were to be fixed by Jan.

On a separate note he said a couple stags went to the mainland during the storm. About 6 weeks later a 1-1/2 year old stag got hit by a car about 60 miles north. I bet whoever was driving was sure surprised.

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
Never been on a hunt on that Island but I do one hunt every year on an Island off the coast of GA. Use permethrin, I usually spray tent floor or hammock, undershirt, boxers and socks. Even though the recommended use is not for against the skin garments. Also remember, dont over inflate bike tires. Soft sand is UGHHHH on those island trails. Did I say use permethrin?

I also hunt the costal island of Georgia so the terrain should be similar. If you don’t carry it with you you will not have it. I have a long list of the stuff I carry. I can send it to you if you are interested. I carry most of my stuff in a large rolling plastic contractor box. That way it’s easy to move from boat to camp and then a dry box to keep everything in while there. I also carry my Kifaru pack and haul my stand and gear for the day. I also sleep in a hammock. It will keep you off the ground away from all the crawly critters. The islands are a cool place and on my list of something to do every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll be there this year also, this is year 6 of applying for me. Going with two guys that I’ve elk hunted with in CO, and we all grew up hunting in FL.

Unfortunately, I’ve not found much information on Sambar besides what’s already been posted here. Nothing about calling, rutting, etc. Looking at the satellite map most of the island looks like sandy pine scrub, many of the better looking spots are closed to hunting.

I lived in Texas for a couple years also, be good to meet you out there.

StorMay05

FNG
Yep I’ll say it again bring a thermacell in case it gets warm. Under 65 or so they shouldn’t be much of a problem.

Bouncing off what Slaton said above, do bring some containers to move everything the beaches around the camps can be sandy. Be prepared for wading through water to camp if coming on the eastend too. If a storm comes in and blows hard from the north it can flood the trough between the beach and campsite.

The bugs are no joke I promise they aren't just messing with you about that. The only thing that outnumbers the bugs are the snakes so be fully prepared for them. If it's even kinda warm they will be out. It should also be stated that they last some to the hurricane last year due to drowning and some swimming to the main land. When the population is around 70 or 80 on a good year that hurts the population a lot. They don't know how many were lost because the nature of the island there's not a lot of area's to find them dead. They found 3 floating dead and one got hit by a car on the mainland. They think there were probably a lot more that that killed, but like I said they only was the obvious ones. I would recommend using one of the local guides to get you over there and back. Every year boats sink out there during the hunts. That bay gets nasty fast and both camp areas are next to a pass so the water can get rough fast. It just makes for some sleepless nights worrying about your boat.

Just stumbled on this thread, myself, my dad, and a buddy will be doing it for the first time this year. Very much looking forward to it.

You using a charter? I have access to a boat, but am exploring charter options as I don't know if its worth the risk to our smaller skiff. Boats sink almost every year out there.

ohoopee

WKR
I do a Cumberland Island Ga hunt every year and it amazes me how people can navigate
through the Marsh rivers. Mud flats and oyster beds pop out of nowhere! We usually
try and cross the Sound to the Island at high tides. My friend grew up fishing those
waters and even he uses a gps marine chart when tides are lower.