Flying with Backpack

Jkuhn22

FNG
I am making the trip out to Montana in a few weeks and was wondering if should check my backpack or use it as a carry on. I have an EXO K2 3500. The pack seems like it might be bigger than the standard 22 inch allowed carry on size suitcase. But Last year I talked with a guy at the airport who had his Kuiu pack In hand waiting on his flight so I am unclear if it will be an issue.

Has anyone flown with their pack as a carry on? If so what airline?

Obviously I know I can’t have my knife of other banned items in my pack. Thanks for the advice.

Weston

Lil-Rokslider
I always carry a backpack (and additional carryon) and typically that’s the only luggage I take when I’m traveling for work, I typically carry a Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 25 which is bigger than the allowable carry on (as it’s classified as a personal item), even if it’s stuffed I’ve never had an issue with the airlines, although I do stow it under my feet or between my legs rather than the over head compartment. I think you would be just fine as long as you don’t have an issue giving up some leg room.

I have flown a couple times with a kuiu 3200 and had no issues. If it happens to be a small plane or a full plane they might ask you to valet check it at the gate. For this reason you might want to keep any optics in a separate small backpack as a personal item. I'd hate to have the baggage handlers dropping my binos.