Folding Knife Recommendations

My brother is graduating from bootcamp in a few months and as a gift I'd like to get him a nice folding knife. I've mostly just been looking at Benchmade because I'm familiar with the quality, but open to other recommendations too.

Their selection is immense. Wanted to see what qualities he might find useful as a combat MP. My initial thought was a drop point blade with a serrated edge. I'm avoiding the auto open models because I don't think I can take ownership of those as a civilian.

As a hunter and outdoorsman I know what I would like out of a quality knife, but for you active and retired military members what features would you find important? Thanks!

JD Jones

WKR
I’d avoid serrated personally and Benchmade has great options. The bailout & bug out are popular

I’m a spyderco fan personally. Paramilitary might be nice for a recent boot grad. I personally have carried a vg 10 stretch I bought when they first came out. It’s my favorite knife and it’s been everywhere with me

OP
Kbhillhunter
I’d avoid serrated personally and Benchmade has great options. The bailout & bug out are popular

I’m a spyderco fan personally. Paramilitary might be nice for a recent boot grad. I personally have carried a vg 10 stretch I bought when they first came out. It’s my favorite knife and it’s been everywhere with me

Thanks! That was not a manufacturer on my radar but will absolutely check it out.

For the serration, is there a practical reason to avoid? Or is it just a feature you didn't have a need for?

nobody

WKR
Spyderco PM2. I have a few of them, my EDC for the last year has been a DLT trading exclusive purple Cruwear. Spyderco is actively and openly pro LE, Pro Military, and Pro 2A. Great American success story behind them, and phenomenal products to boot. Can’t recommend a Spydie enough.

EDIT: Avoid Serrations like the plague. He won’t be able to sharpen them effectively in field. Plain edge FTW.

Also, disclaimer, I’m not military or law enforcement. I’m in construction and just a hunter and shooter, but I love quality gear.

JD Jones

WKR
I’ve never once needed it and to sharpen is near impossible. If I wanted serrations I’d go full blade length and it would be a specific use likely marine/diving where fishing line and rope might be tangled on my equipment or worse

OP
Kbhillhunter
Spyderco PM2. I have a few of them, my EDC for the last year has been a DLT trading exclusive purple Cruwear. Spyderco is actively and openly pro LE, Pro Military, and Pro 2A. Great American success story behind them, and phenomenal products to boot. Can’t recommend a Spydie enough.

EDIT: Avoid Serrations like the plague. He won’t be able to sharpen them effectively in field. Plain edge FTW.

Also, disclaimer, I’m not military or law enforcement. I’m in construction and just a hunter and shooter, but I love quality gear.

This one's getting a good look, thanks for the recommendation

JD Jones

WKR
Spyderco PM2. I have a few of them, my EDC for the last year has been a DLT trading exclusive purple cru-wear
There is a brown one avail on blade hq in this steel as well as a maxamet. One thing I really appreciate is spyderco and their runs of various steel!

OP
Kbhillhunter
I’ve never once needed it and to sharpen is near impossible. If I wanted serrations I’d go full blade length and it would be a specific use likely marine/diving where fishing line and rope might be tangled on my equipment or worse

This makes a ton of sense. The small serration edge probably isn't enough when you actually need it and just takes away from the overall edge when you don't.

OP
Kbhillhunter
What is your price range? I can think of several that will fit his needs but tactical folders these days can get pretty spendy.

I've been mostly looking in the $200-$300 range. I'd like it to be something that will hold up but if I need to adjust my expectations I can flex on budget a little.

NDGuy

WKR
I've been mostly looking in the $200-$300 range. I'd like it to be something that will hold up but if I need to adjust my expectations I can flex on budget a little.
Spyderco, Benchmade, Buck

Also if you bump your price a bit you can grab a Hinderer which are great.

Chinese made but very nice knives are WE Knives. They make slick folders.

sndmn11

WKR
You should only be looking at 3v and cruwear for blade steels. A tough steel should be the priority for a professional who might use it for many things other than cutting. Here are fun charts https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10...properties in small batch production (50 lbs).

https://www.benchmade.com/275-1-adamas-family.html

OP
Kbhillhunter
You should only be looking at 3v and cruwear for blade steels. A tough steel should be the priority for a professional who might use it for many things other than cutting. Here are fun charts https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/knife-steels-rated-by-a-metallurgist-toughness-edge-retention-and-corrosion-resistance/#:~:text=8670 and 5160 are good choices for large,excellent properties in small batch production (50 lbs).

https://www.benchmade.com/275-1-adamas-family.html

This is extremely helpful, thank you