Food for thought...saved by my gun

Beendare

WKR
I've only had one case where I was glad to be packing.....and just flashing it to the 3 thugs was enough to get them to leave. [thankfully]

Saved by my gun...and this guy brings up a very good point; THERE IS NO DATABASE THAT KEEPS TRACK OF THESE CASES
[video=youtube;75gP8W37c-Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75gP8W37c-Y[/video]

This link to the calguns forum is the story of "Quarter bore gunner' who was working at a gun range when an armed bad guy turned on them....and then the many pages of armchair QB'ing of forum members that follows. There is an interesting coincidence that the paramedic responding to the call chimes in a few pages later...The story starts at post #24...skip to that
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum
/showthread.php?t=46699

Another case of just showing your weapon...saved by his gun
[video=youtube;3-4p4wwIEZ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-4p4wwIEZ0[/video]

Has your gun ever saved you?

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
As a side note...that Calguns thread segues into comments on caliber choice with multiple accounts of folks shot with a .45 and lived.

Its pretty common knowledge that the law enforcement agencies are all moving to 9mm as its been proven to be as effective as the heavier calibers. The whole "man stopper' thoughts back in the .45 days have been proven to be a myth. In case after case and we know it intuitively as hunters; accurate shots are important ....use and train what you shoot best.

Grumman

WKR
So last year I was following behind my wife in my truck and she stopped at the gas station to fill her vehicle up. I parked over in the side lot. While pumping gas a suspicious looking character hanging around the parking lot proceeded to get in the passenger seat of her vehicle. Seeing this I came across the parking lot before he knew anyone else was around. Pulling my shirt back and exposing my still holstered pistol while yelling at him got him out of there in a hurry. Way too many meth-heads running around. I can only wonder what may have transpired had I not been there. It was a lesson for my wife to lock the doors when pumping gas, especially with kids in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So last year I was following behind my wife in my truck and she stopped at the gas station to fill her vehicle up. I parked over in the side lot. While pumping gas a suspicious looking character hanging around the parking lot proceeded to get in the passenger seat of her vehicle. Seeing this I came across the parking lot before he knew anyone else was around. Pulling my shirt back and exposing my still holstered pistol while yelling at him got him out of there in a hurry. Way too many meth-heads running around. I can only wonder what may have transpired had I not been there. It was a lesson for my wife to lock the doors when pumping gas, especially with kids in the car.

Whoa! Ain't no telling what his plans were but it probably would've been a bad outcome for your wife.

Last edited:

mvmnts

WKR
Never felt the need to carry out hiking and camping, and as a unrepentant gram counter, I never do. Now all the rest of the time however, I carry almost 100% of the time. The lowlifes all like to stay close to where the free stuff is, in town. Lurking around outdoors where they have to earn it isn't their style. Fortunately never had to use mine.

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The only time I've used my pistol was on some dogs when my wife and I were walking at the park with my daughter ( 4 months old at the time) in a stroller. 3 mutts (bulldog/pit) came running at us out of the brush growling. I hollered and waved my hands but they weren't stopping. I pulled my .40 on them and fired 6 shots. hit two of the dogs and the other hauled ass. Animal control officer said they had been trying to locate the dogs for 2 months after they had attacked a woman and her lab when they were walking the trail closer to our subdivision. Never had to use my weapon on an actual person and I'm thankful for that.

JigStick

WKR
i had to use my gun once in 20 years. To protect my wife and I from some thugs in downtown Pittsburgh. My experience has been that thugs look for weak targets. And my training has always taught me to overcome aggression with "excessive aggression". The situation defused pretty quickly when my pistol was pointed at his chest

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Jeez, that didn't take long to get some real life examples that never show up on the 'PLUS' side for guns in the crime statistics

I carry almost 100% of the time, regardless of what I'm doing but fortunately I have never had to pull it out on a person. I have pulled it out on a couple occasions while hiking, but that was in defense of bears.

PA 5-0

WKR
Some will not wanna hear this but, as a patrolman that has witnessed it first hand, I can tell you this as absolute fact: #1- the media is 99% liberal and anti-gun, #2- concealed carry, self defense situations are RARELY reported in the news and quite frequently are purposefully, inaccurately reported. The liberal media does not want to promote and/or spotlight situations during which a civilian successfully defended themselves or others with a firearm. It happens every day, in every city in this Country. There's a section in all the NRA publications that spotlight these situations. Carry ALWAYS/EVERYWHERE.

Loco4dux

WKR
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it... as they say. Always carry.

Guns are just like parachutes in that, if you absolutely need one, and don't have it, chances are you'll never need one again.

Some will not wanna hear this but, as a patrolman that has witnessed it first hand, I can tell you this as absolute fact: #1- the media is 99% liberal and anti-gun, #2- concealed carry, self defense situations are RARELY reported in the news and quite frequently are purposefully, inaccurately reported. The liberal media does not want to promote and/or spotlight situations during which a civilian successfully defended themselves or others with a firearm. It happens every day, in every city in this Country. There's a section in all the NRA publications that spotlight these situations. Carry ALWAYS/EVERYWHERE.

Having been a LEO for 12 years I can tell you this is very true. I can also tell you that you should cooperate with police but respectfully request you talk to an attorney before giving any details or making a statement. Some wide-eyed FNG rolls up while the smoke is still clearing and it's the first shooting they have been on their heart is going to be pumping and you DO NOT want to be misquoted..If you are right the evidence will prove you were right. Do not muddy it up with chest thumping or Dirty Harry quotes. My wife and I have a plan in place and she knows what to do if I am not there and I have told her no matter who shows up, cooperate but request to consult with an attorney, there is still civil litigation even if you are cleared criminally.

Finch

WKR
I actually just picked up a new CC gun this past weekend. S&W M&P shield in 9mm (Performance Center version). My new IWB holster came today. I'm hoping to make it out to the range in the next couple of days to start the break-in process. I've had a CC permit for several years now but never really carried religiously. Trying to change that. I'm also trying to figure out which IWB position feels best. Stay safe out there!

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
To the OP, thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading it. It is a crazy world, stay vigilant and keep your head on a swivel men.

kodiakfly

WKR
I carry almost 100% of the time, regardless of what I'm doing but fortunately I have never had to pull it out on a person. I have pulled it out on a couple occasions while hiking, but that was in defense of bears.

Same here, and while I don't hesitate to pull for a bear (it's not brandishing if it's a bear) the heartrate still goes up when that line has been crossed. I pray the day never comes I have to draw on a human, but if it's me or my family...