Food Menu

Like all of our other gear we're constantly trying to lighten up but still keep quality and performance high. It seems when it comes to food, its the toughest one for everyone to drop weight on or figure out how to go lighter but still be able to have the energy without starving ourselves. I currently have a base list that I've made that comes in around 18.5 ounces per day with 2300 cal + or -.

Breakfast Granola w/ nido milk and protein powder 745 KCal 6.5 oz
Snack 1 Trail Mix 150 KCal 1.0 oz
Lunch Spam Single, String Cheese, Chicken Biscuits 440 KCal 4.5 oz
Snack 2 Trail Mix/Crackers/Candy 150 KCal 1.0 oz
Dinner Freeze Dried/Dehydrated Meal 800-1100 KCal 5.5-6.5 oz

I'll usually pack a few days a tad lighter with the substitution of a green belly or range bar for the granola, other days I'll pack a tad heavier with a snickers bar thrown in there and such. Some of my favorite foods/snacks I rotate through are pringles, cheez-its, different flavored cheese, almond joys, oreos. I'm sure I could get it a little lighter if I really started to pencil it out but for now this seems to work well and isn't too bad to lug around for days at a time.

What are many of you other ultralight fans packing as your menu that you seem to stick with?

Last edited:
I do damn near the same except I like tortilla, peanut or almond butter packet, meat cheese stick, honey packet for lunch.

I do damn near the same except I like tortilla, peanut or almond butter packet, meat cheese stick, honey packet for lunch.
I'll mix the tried-and-true PB&J on a tortilla every now and then. For me I found tortillas to not be high enough in calories for their weight to have as a staple and use it as more of a treat for days I know I won't need the extra calories. I'm always looking for different recipes or ideas to throw in the mix for a better high cal/oz meals.

It's funny how we spend so much time refining gear lists to go lightweight but there isn't much talk about doing this with our food lists/menus.

I like your lighter meal day call with Green Belly or Range Bar. The pack space and weight saving by doing that for 1-2 days on a 7 day hunt is making me consider... I'm just a fatty and like my 3 meals and snacks haha

To mix it up a little I might do a protein type shake instead of granola. I brought Pop Tarts on a hunt last year and actually enjoyed those. They held up surprisingly well, and a nice treat when you've been marching all day. Stroopwafle or Honey Stinger are also solid. Oh and Gummi Bears. Well Gummi Bears are a staple actually haha

Gear Skeptic has a full Ultralight Food Breakdown, along with a spreadsheet of everything - Link

My usual meal list for a 3-7 day hunt is: instant coffee, trail mix (without chocolate/M&Ms), summer sausage links, and a lower carb dehydrated meal (typically Next Mile Meals). This seems to get me around 2400-2600 calories at around 16-18oz of food. Which, for me, I can easily survive on for a week, even with logging miles every day.

Gear Skeptic has a full Ultralight Food Breakdown, along with a spreadsheet of everything - Link

My usual meal list for a 3-7 day hunt is: instant coffee, trail mix (without chocolate/M&Ms), summer sausage links, and a lower carb dehydrated meal (typically Next Mile Meals). This seems to get me around 2400-2600 calories at around 16-18oz of food. Which, for me, I can easily survive on for a week, even with logging miles every day.
That's a heck of a comprehensive list that guy has. Thanks for sharing that link.

granola with powdered milk 700-800 cals
kirkland nut mix 340 cals 2 serv
big sur bar 600 cals
layered fruit 60 cals each
gummy bears 200 cals
peaks meal 800cals
total 2750 cals
later season maybe add a snickers @ 250 cals

Back