Forums Are Dead!

KurtR

WKR
I did not watch 1 second of the video.
That said, I agree with the title, forums are dying.
Or rather, they are dying in the way of good content.
The girly bitching will always continue on.
Someone mentioned Snipers Hide. I haven't been there in years. But over a decade and a half ago when I first got into LR shooting, you bet your ass I was there. A long with many other good people.
The same can also be said for Rockslide. It was much better in the early years. I'm sorry to the Rokslide owners, but they know it too.
I'm not on Fbook anymore. Never been on Snapchat, Instagram or any other social media. Just forums.
Forums in general unfortunately, have gotten to the point you can't really believe what you read. Too many know it alls, blowhard, etc.
Forums are trending to the obsolete side. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Forms scope tests are a very unique asset to this website. If the owners can continue to come up with ideas like that, they will have "the edge".
Snipershide of 15 years ago is something I miss. I liked the no bs good info and if you could keep your mouth shut and listen lots of knowledgeable guys who would help.

The humbler scope thread on there was gold to bad I think it got lost in one of the moves.

Rich M

WKR
I dont facebook. Never did. Or tweat or twit or whatever. Why would i use a platform that censors people for having diff opinions? Same for these funding sources and various large businesses.

When the forums are gone, it’ll be a little less to look at on the web.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I dont facebook. Never did. Or tweat or twit or whatever. Why would i use a platform that censors people for having diff opinions? Same for these funding sources and various large businesses.

When the forums are gone, it’ll be a little less to look at on the web.
It's called twatter and I'm re-twatting your twat 😁

Fatcamp

WKR
Currently, most people are not able to focus on one thing for more than 15 seconds or 45 characters.

Ongoing conversation? We have a meme for that.

Last edited:

elkyinzer

WKR
I'm 33 and I figure I'm among the youngest forum users, hopefully the lights can stay on awhile longer. I learned a lot from forums back in the day, now it's mostly entertainment when I want to kill some time and laugh at some memes and clown azz MF's posting clown things. Generations behind me are all bookface and ticktok. Both are horrendous wastelands of human discourse that make even archerytalk appear pleasant and intelligent in comparison. Does seem there's a lot more holier than thou than there used to be. Everything's a big political worship virtue measuring contest these days.

woods89

WKR
I hope they stick around. It's basically my only social media.

My philosophy on this place is that 90% of the value for me personally comes from less than 10% of the content. There are some things I don't necessarily need or like on here but it's not hard to sift through. That good content has certainly helped me in more than a few ways.

I've been really liking the scope tests. High value stuff for me!

Shraggs

WKR
Watched first part of it. Definitely sone truth to the high poster know it alll shutting down things. As is the know it all dissenter. I don’t post on other forums because of it.

Honestly although we have both here, folks are quite helpful and new ideas do in due time mature. Ie 223 and 77 tmk.

Like any organization it’s values and conduct us a reflection of leadership.

Well done here!

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
It seems to have hurt smaller forums. Larger ones still seem to pull plenty of traffic. Facebook is a horrible medium for ongoing conversation of any substance.

Facebook killed forums for the most part.
Before I came on to rokslide as a moderator myself and a friend of mine ran a small forum for Virginia hunting called vasportsmen.com. At one point it was pretty popular, we never made any money off it or anything (probably could have if we woulda went that route) but we had a decent following in virginia and the forum stayed busy year round. Made alot of friends and got to hunt some places in virginia I never would have if not not for the forum

Then the facebook groups got popular and our forum took a nosedive as far as use. Ended up just me running it and it got to the point that the money I was paying for the web domain and such wasn't worth seeing 5-10 posts a month etc.

Everyone seemed to like the easy to use facebook groups etc. rather than having to use tapatalk or be on a laptop or desktop to use the forum.

Some of the facebook groups are OK, but most in my opinion are garbage. Way to many toxic people in the hunting groups on there

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Before I came on to rokslide as a moderator myself and a friend of mine ran a small forum for Virginia hunting called vasportsmen.com. At one point it was pretty popular, we never made any money off it or anything (probably could have if we woulda went that route) but we had a decent following in virginia and the forum stayed busy year round. Made alot of friends and got to hunt some places in virginia I never would have if not not for the forum

Then the facebook groups got popular and our forum took a nosedive as far as use. Ended up just me running it and it got to the point that the money I was paying for the web domain and such wasn't worth seeing 5-10 posts a month etc.

Everyone seemed to like the easy to use facebook groups etc. rather than having to use tapatalk or be on a laptop or desktop to use the forum.

Some of the facebook groups are OK, but most in my opinion are garbage. Way to many toxic people in the hunting groups on there
The bright side is you ended up here! Been great having you as a mod with all that experience.

Brian Latturner also said the FB groups hurt Monster Muleys, but I see he's still rolling along just fine, everytime I visit.

Rob5589

WKR
I find using FB for anything hunting, guns, or basic freedom related to be contrary to those beliefs. Why would anyone in those disciplines pay FB to further fund their "anti everything but what they believe" agenda?

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
The bright side is you ended up here! Been great having you as a mod with all that experience.

Brian Latturner also said the FB groups hurt Monster Muleys, but I see he's still rolling along just fine, everytime I visit.
Yeah I think it hurt us small timers more so than the bigger forums, monster muleys can pull members from all across the US, for us we were small niche for one state. We did have several thousand members at our peak though when things were rolling good. Even got mentioned in a few newspaper articles n such in virginia

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I find using FB for anything hunting, guns, or basic freedom related to be contrary to those beliefs. Why would anyone in those disciplines pay FB to further fund their "anti everything but what they believe" agenda?
because people are lazy lol

Our main selling point was when facebook banned gun sales etc. I would tell people come to our forum, you can post guns in classifieds for FREE!! we wont ban you!! etc.

But people are to darn lazy to "sign up for a forum", "what i gotta make up a username?" "What I need to down load tapa what to use my phone" "why do that when i can browse fartbook right here on this app!!?? its so easssssyyyyyy

i would like to see all social media (forums included) where your screen name was your name for everyone... build in accountability. i assume it's a fine line with having to include too much personal info, but it would be nice for people losing the complete ability to hide behind an anonymous character

Jbehredt

WKR
i would like to see all social media (forums included) where your screen name was your name for everyone... build in accountability. i assume it's a fine line with having to include too much personal info, but it would be nice for people losing the complete ability to hide behind an anonymous character

First initial, middle initial, (unique) last name.

I don’t post anything I wouldn’t want my wife, boss, pastor or guys I share hunting camps with to read.

crich

WKR
Thoughts?

This guy has some valid points but is obviously on a rant. Look at the evidence - if your website traffic, sponsor interest and member activity isnt slowing then its BS. That said its food for thought for a business owner about what direction the forums may or may not go in the future.

Dobermann

WKR
15 minutes? I'm impressed. I made it to 2:00 and my head started hurting.
Woah. You guys are hardcore.

I made it to 30 seconds.

And call BS.

I know we have "what did you learn from Rokslide" threads every so often, but to capture it here, personally, Rokslide has helped me by:
  • Showing me that 223 will harvest me most of what I need; after that, 6.5 Creed is more than enough (and that magnums will likely hinder my shooting form)
  • Saving me money on optics that won't work.
  • Convincing me to get in shape.
And a tonne more.

Ultimately, I think it's amazing that complete strangers in different countries can create a fairly high signal-to-noise ratio, respectful place where they can help each other out.

I love you guys.

Yoder

WKR
Forums are my only form of social media. I hate everything else. This one is very good. There's a diverse enough group of people to keep it interesting. I had to quit a firearm owners forum I belonged to for years. It turned into an extreme right wing echo chamber. For me to say that is crazy since I'm extremely conservative. I had guys sending Pm's calling me all kinds of names for disagreeing with something Trump said. I joined it because I liked guns not to talk politics all the time.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
that is exactly how a forum should operate, and while we're not perfect by any stretch, those are the conversations we try to encourage.

Know-it-alls are so 1990..., all of us can learn from someone if we keep an open mind, even if we learn they're wrong
An often overlooked benefit from real and virtual interactions is learning what NOT to do-learning from OPM (other peoples mistakes) is a game changer.

Being open minded --and the most difficult virtue of all seemingly--being tolerant can help you grow. I know it sounds corny or cliche but I 100% believe this. That is not to say you don't call folks out for bad behavior but think about your response and reflect on why you respond/react in the manner you do. Are you looking to truly offer constructive criticism or bashing someone just because you can.