Found rifle

I was hunting in NC two weeks ago. I shot a nice buck in the middle of a soybean field. The beans were about 18"-24" high and the buck just disappeared at the shot. It was still good light and I was able to walk almost directly to the downed animal. Past experience has taught me that a fallen animal can be very hard to locate after dark in the middle of a large bean field.

As The light was falling, I grabbed a few quick pictures and then dragged the buck to the edge of the field, which was about 150yds away. When I got to edge, I realized that I had left the rifle lying in the bean field. Fortunately, I was able to follow the drag marls back to the rfile in the failing light.
Very easy to do...I lost and found a bunch of gear in 400-500 acre been and corn fields, easy to do. Some of that gear I found after the harvest. Never lost a rifle or bow.

Just an idea, I assume the rifle is fairly high end based off of your comments, so I’m assuming there is a high end scope. The scope should have a serial number on it. You could try calling the manufacturer and see if the individual has an account or they might be able to tell you where it was sold at, based on the serial number.

Also, I’m hoping the sheriffs office entered the serial number into the database and listed it as missing, in case the owner ever goes to Leo’s to report it, it would be flagged already at that point.

You might check the rifle to see if there is any other high end parts with serial numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rdoehne

Rdoehne

FNG
Yeah I app
Just an idea, I assume the rifle is fairly high end based off of your comments, so I’m assuming there is a high end scope. The scope should have a serial number on it. You could try calling the manufacturer and see if the individual has an account or they might be able to tell you where it was sold at, based on the serial number.

Also, I’m hoping the sheriffs office entered the serial number into the database and listed it as missing, in case the owner ever goes to Leo’s to report it, it would be flagged already at that point.

You might check the rifle to see if there is any other high end parts with serial numbers.

I appreciate that. I called the scope manufacture on Monday and gave them the serial number. The serial number unfortunately was not registered. As far as the sheriff. I gave him the serial number off the gun. He told me nothing have been reported, but he told me to call him back in a couple weeks for follow up. Same with the sheriffs for the neighboring counties.

Yeah I app

I appreciate that. I called the scope manufacture on Monday and gave them the serial number. The serial number unfortunately was not registered. As far as the sheriff. I gave him the serial number off the gun. He told me nothing have been reported, but he told me to call him back in a couple weeks for follow up. Same with the sheriffs for the neighboring counties.

Dang too bad. If you haven’t might try the local fish and game guys also. I feel like you’re going to find this guy.

I’m pretty sure the Rokslide gang can get the word out , for those that use instagooglegram.

OP
Rdoehne

Rdoehne

FNG
Dang too bad. If you haven’t might try the local fish and game guys also. I feel like you’re going to find this guy.

I’m pretty sure the Rokslide gang can get the word out , for those that use instagooglegram.

To be honest fish and game isn’t one I have thought about. I will give them a call tomorrow. I have a friend that has a gun shop in both Montana and Washington. He is trying to see what he can come up with also. I’m hoping that with his connections we can get it back to the owner. But I will try fish and game that’s a good idea.

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone lost a rifle in NE Montana get ahold of me. While hunting there last week we found one and would like to get it back to the owner.
I lost it.. i was hunting here in Italy and probably the rifle slipped from my hands and crumbled across the ocean, to Montana!

I am so lucky you found it!

Yeah I app

Clearly you’ve exhausted all possibilities, which leaves us with the only obvious solution. Alien abduction. And this isn’t the bad part, because aliens will be aliens, then eventually send him back down. But now, when he gets there, he’ll find someone stole his rifle.

mi650

WKR
Can't say I've left one in the woods, but my wife and I spent a Thanksgiving weekend at my grandparents house, and I spent a bunch of time hunting on their farm. They didn't live on the farm, but 10-12 miles away.

So I got to the farm one morning, started to change, realized I'd left my shotgun back at the house. :poop: Jump back in my truck and get my gun. Get back to the farm, start changing again, and realize I forgot my boots. :poop::poop::poop: I hunted in my tennis shoes. :ROFLMAO:

CorbLand

WKR
Is it a custom gun? If so and you can tell who built it, call them. They should know who it was sold to.

OP
Rdoehne

Rdoehne

FNG
Is it a custom gun? If so and you can tell who built it, call them. They should know who it was sold to.
Yes it is. I tried that with no luck. Have a buddy that owns a gun shop checking to see if he can get more info for me. Hopefully if they don’t want to give me the info they can at least get ahold of the guy and have him get ahold of me.

CorbLand

WKR
Yes it is. I tried that with no luck. Have a buddy that owns a gun shop checking to see if he can get more info for me. Hopefully if they don’t want to give me the info they can at least get ahold of the guy and have him get ahold of me.
I would doubt they would give the contact information out but seems like they could contact them for you and be a middle man. Either way, good on you for trying.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Left my house key inside this morning. And my phone. And the dog. Wife to the rescue.

Several years ago, I took off for church early, wife to follow later.
When she arrives, she looks at me and asks where's (the 9 month old kid)?
Half hour drive each way. 5th Joyfull Mystery.
Fifth Joyful Mystery:
The finding of Jesus in the temple
"Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the Passover. And when he was twelve years old, they went up according to custom; and when the feast was ended, as they were returning, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem. His parents did not know it ...
After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions; and all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers" (Lk 2:41-47).

Our Father, 10 Hail Marys (contemplating the mystery), Glory be to the Father.

LMFAO ... Keep the faith ... :cool:

KHNC

WKR
One time around Thanksgiving I made the mistake of booking a hunt with The Heartland Lodge in Pike Co Illinois. After a 5 day unsuccessful bowhunt, I got up early to drive home. The owner of the Million Dollar lodge made us take our boots off and leave at the door every evening. As I went to leave and found my boots in the pile at the door , I slipped them on and headed out. About 2/3 the way home , I realize I have someone else's boots on. Two sizes too big for me. Whoops!!! Someone was probably really pissed off that morning at the lodge. WE were both out a pair of boots.

OP
Rdoehne

Rdoehne

FNG
Well this is all ending good. I was starting to loose hope but the builder finally called me back and put me in contact with the owner so he will be getting the gun back when we can link up. For people wondering about the gun and value. I was guessing 5k. The builder said it was sold to the guy for almost double that. Scope is a Zeiss. It’s a total custom built carbon fiber 7mm-338 Kona. As far as the story we were leaving the town we stayed at in Montana, heading home and along the highway seen the gun sitting on the bipod in a pull off 40’ off the Hwy. We pulled in decided that if the wrong person found the gun that he would never see it again so we took it. I’ve definitely spent many hours contacting people, trying to find the owner, and we have finally chased him down. Thanks to everyone that came up with ideas to help find the owner.

Attachments

• 72227769659__977FEF11-6C23-4AF1-997C-DC8852AB030B.jpeg
    72227769659__977FEF11-6C23-4AF1-997C-DC8852AB030B.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 268
Well this is all ending good. I was starting to loose hope but the builder finally called me back and put me in contact with the owner so he will be getting the gun back when we can link up. For people wondering about the gun and value. I was guessing 5k. The builder said it was sold to the guy for almost double that. Scope is a Zeiss. It’s a total custom built carbon fiber 7mm-338 Kona. As far as the story we were leaving the town we stayed at in Montana, heading home and along the highway seen the gun sitting on the bipod in a pull off 40’ off the Hwy. We pulled in decided that if the wrong person found the gun that he would never see it again so we took it. I’ve definitely spent many hours contacting people, trying to find the owner, and we have finally chased him down. Thanks to everyone that came up with ideas to help find the owner.

Man good job, glad this is ending well. With the effort you were putting in it was only a matter of time before you found the owner.