Frame pack and saddle hunting

HRT1

FNG
Hey guys. Just getting into saddle hunting and can’t believe it has taken me this long to see the light. I do tend to hunt deep enough that I prefer to quarter and pack out rather than drag, which means I am taking a pretty big pack in with me. I am currently using a Kifaru 44 mag which is probably overkill, but is what I have. My question is what do you guys do when you take a big pack into the backcountry for a saddle hunt. Do you bring it into the tree? Cache it close by? Leave it in the truck and just know you are going to have to make a couple of trips? Thanks for your insight.

Yoder

WKR
I don't use a saddle but when I bring my pack on an archery hunt I'll attach it to the tree with my pull rope. Rifle season I would be more likely to leave it on the ground by the tree. I'm not as worried about ground scent or spooking the deer.

OP
H

HRT1

FNG
Thank you for the reply. Yes, scent and profile are my two biggest concerns with a big pack like that.

I have carried a kuiu 3600 all deer season. It's pretty well empty minus snacks or lunch for an all day sit. So it's pretty compact profile but has the room to hold a deer in one trip if needed. Usually hunting with at least one buddy so if we kill we take stands out then drop back in and pack deer out. It's a couple extra miles walking but works better for us

thillman

FNG
Just like the above post, I use the Kuiu 3600. I can toss everything in it I need and usually throw heavier layers in the pack so I'm not sweating like a pig on the hike in. Lash the steps to the side of the pack and the platform to the front. Wear it up the tree when climbing and then once its on a clip it fits around the tree well with the hip belt going around the tree. Seems to work well.

ltkasten

FNG
I run a Mystery Ranch Pintler for the bulk of archery season. I run my steps and platform strapped to the front of it for the hike in and then attach my bow to the pack when I climb. Pull it up once I’m set. Rifle hunting the pack tends to stay on the ground and I just throw the essentials in my pockets.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
I’m currently using a mystery ranch metcalf. I compress it as much as possible and it’ll hang from my daisy chain gear holder strap that’s attached just below my tether. Then I’ll clip the hip belt around the tree and make that tight and tuck in all the straps. I also tuck the shoulder straps in between the tree and the pack. Sounds like a lot but the pack sits tight against the tree and is completely out of the way. Pretty low profile.

I’m sure there’s better options out there but this is what I currently have and I’ve become efficient with it. I also only take this pack when I’ll be 1.5-2+ miles from my truck. All other times it stays in my truck.

OP
H

HRT1

FNG
I’m currently using a mystery ranch metcalf. I compress it as much as possible and it’ll hang from my daisy chain gear holder strap that’s attached just below my tether. Then I’ll clip the hip belt around the tree and make that tight and tuck in all the straps. I also tuck the shoulder straps in between the tree and the pack. Sounds like a lot but the pack sits tight against the tree and is completely out of the way. Pretty low profile.

I’m sure there’s better options out there but this is what I currently have and I’ve become efficient with it. I also only take this pack when I’ll be 1.5-2+ miles from my truck. All other times it stays in my truck.
I might try some version of this. I think the Metcalf is about the same size as my 44 Mag.

Macintosh

WKR
I use a much smaller pack, MR popup 18, but I think same would work. I generally wear it up the tree, get set up, then hang the pack off a sling from my gear strap with the back of the pack around the tree (as if the tree were wearing the pack) directly in front of me. Smaller tree I'll sometimes even fasten the sternum strap around the tree to keep it stable. I do it a bit low so it doesn't really interfere with my work space from waist-height up, but it gives me easy, direct access to stuff inside the pack, and I often rest my knees agsint it. A bigger pack might be a little different, but assuming it's largely empty when you are hunting I dont think it would be a deal-breaker. Not certain, but this might be very similar to the above^^.
Edit—this pack is little but is more than capable of carrying a full deer in one trip if its broken down at all, and sticks/stand can go on the outside or as a second trip.

Last edited:
OP
H

HRT1

FNG
I’ve got an old MR Dragonslayer that I use as my primary day pack. What I have done thus far is use that to pack out back straps and other bits, and then just make a second trip for the quarters. That works fine, but I’m not getting any younger so trying to see if I can make a bigger pack work and keep it to one trip.

990ccbacd416307ac3f3dbbd1dcf902a.jpg

142fbe1e736f1c0cf82321fbf58d6858.jpg

0330a01498450dc4f3ddb20e293f3b51.jpg

This is my frankenstein set up. Its an eberlestock frame, academy sports little backpck, and kifaru compression straps. The straps on the Eberlestock that came with it are holding the sticks and platform to the frame. Then i took some spare kifaru straps and attached them to the same buckle points and attached the opposing end to the cheapo backpack that i take up into the tree.

I just get to the tree, unclip the backpack and put it on, then unclip the sticks and platform and start going up the tree. I leave the frame on the ground. Im going to rig up my kifaru frame similar next year with a different bag probably.

This works well for me because i bounce back and forth between mobile set ups and permanent set ups a lot. I can just pop that bag off and on depending on where im hunting and im ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
H

HRT1

FNG
990ccbacd416307ac3f3dbbd1dcf902a.jpg

142fbe1e736f1c0cf82321fbf58d6858.jpg

0330a01498450dc4f3ddb20e293f3b51.jpg

This is my frankenstein set up. Its an eberlestock frame, academy sports little backpck, and kifaru compression straps. The straps on the Eberlestock that came with it are holding the sticks and platform to the frame. Then i took some spare kifaru straps and attached them to the same buckle points and attached the opposing end to the cheapo backpack that i take up into the tree.

I just get to the tree, unclip the backpack and put it on, the. Unclip the sticks and platform and start going up the tree. I leave the frame on the ground. Im going to rig up my kifaru frame similar next year with a different bag probably.

This works well for me because i bounce back and forth between mobile set ups and permanent set ups a lot. I can just pop that bag off and on depending on where im hunting and im ready to go.

Interesting...so no issues with deer scenting the frame hanging out at the bottom of the tree?

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Seek Outside Saker (big pack but compresses down nicely and is very light) for hunting with a saddle and it works pretty well for me.

I chose this pack so that I could carry enough equipment for a back country excursion or compress it down for a day pack. The Saker is a 7500 and I have no issues hanging it from a strap next to me in a tree because of its compressibility. Bonus: the hip belt works as a knee pad if I forgot to bring them.

It’s way more pack than I really need but then, as with most things I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running a saddle and k2 5500 the last few years. Started out taking the pack up the tree with me, didn't like how bulky I felt up there and started just taking the lid up and leaving the pack on the ground attached to a pull rope in case I needed something, then switched to just leaving it on the ground. Then switched to a trophyline platow and leaving the pack in the truck and like that best so far. Not a big deal to hike out for the pack, gives the deer time to expire and me a chance to get my platform and sticks out to reduce pack weight when I've loaded up the quarters.

GR1NCH11

FNG
Interesting...so no issues with deer scenting the frame hanging out at the bottom of the tree?
I run a similar setup but with a hang on stand and different frame/bag. IMO You're going to have a strong scent profile at the bottom of the tree anyways from setting up, leaving stuff at the bottom of the tree is ok.

Macintosh

WKR
I’ll be the first guy to say that I like a slightly larger pack so I don’t have to stuff it to the bursting point to get all my stuff in, but I’m not sure I agree that a really big pack is necessary for doing it all in one trip?
This is an 18l pack. I dont have a picture but its carried a full boned out deer with sticks and saddle clipped on the front in one trip with no issue. As shown pack has cold-weather jacket, pants, water, kill kit, game bags, food, light, etc in it, in addition to 4 sticks and a platform.
And as you can see load shelf can carry some weight without a real issue.
I think almost any pack with a load shelf will easily accomplish what you need in 1 trip. If the big pack is simply for versatility (dont need/want 2 load hauling packs) then carry on, I get that too.

Attachments

• 2F570265-BD12-4AEA-8B9D-E50ABC8A0FC2.jpeg
    2F570265-BD12-4AEA-8B9D-E50ABC8A0FC2.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 58A9825C-F4EA-4F90-8857-3878BE80BDF9.jpeg
    58A9825C-F4EA-4F90-8857-3878BE80BDF9.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

a33c5769a62d0ac3904479a8bccc3c7a.jpg

Shot this guy at 12 yds last week. He was 5 yds from my tree at one point. Cant say ive had one sniff my tree where the pack is leaned up. Im sure he’d smell my sticks, boot path and copenhagen spit simultaneous to smelling the pack anyways.