Freeze Dried and Stomach Issues

I'd start by trying other brands of freeze dried meals. If you cant do any of them, the box pasta/ rice (Knor, Rice-a-roni,...) or instant mashers with a foil pack of chicken or other protein is an option,. These are cheaper and don't take up as much room, but can take more time to cook. There are a lot of backpack food ideas on the internet such as youtubbe. Most through hikers are no subsisting on freeze dried meals for extended periods.

Oh, I would only eat one MH per day and find other things for morning and mid-day eating.

Freeze dried meals can wreak havoc on me as well. I turned more to making normal meals at home and then dehydrating them. Takes a little longer to rehydrate but it’s the same food I eat at home. Sometimes I rehydrate in a small backpacking pot with a lid and that seems to do better than rehydrating in a bag.

DAD

FNG
I've had plain freeze dried strawberries absolutely tear me up. I never have had a problem with fresh or frozen strawberries though.

Whats the deal?

Kanbe1

FNG
I'm a low carber, I used Nextmile freezdried meals on an Elk hunt this year. They were excellent and I had no digestive issues at all. Not cheap, but for me they were worth it. the meals with beef in them are my favorites.

You might try stowaway gourmet and gastro gnome. They seem to have pretty clean ingredients but are still really tasty

taskswap

WKR
It might be the soy. Most Mountain House meals really pack it in and I'm allergic to it so it bloats me like a... something bad.

Try Peak Refuel or some other brands that don't cram soy or dairy into their products. You'll do better.

if its cold enough out, I like to take frozen cooked meals. A big stanley thermos full of frozen soup/broth/stew, etc can last me a few days with other meals thrown in. I cant do the freeze dried meals very often either. id rather eat MRE's

bpurtz

WKR
I just turned 58, but don't identify with "older".

Prior to this year I would eat MH or Backpacker's Pantry for 20+ days straight during archery season. I never had a digestive problem. I know some guys that have said that freeze dried meals often cause them to be constipated, but I have not experienced that.

One of my buddies bought various freeze dried meats and mixed that with other ingredients (rice, pasta, etc) and basically made his own freeze dried meals - his meals were really tasty but they were more expensive than buying the commercial freeze dried meals plus it took time to test a blend and more time to pack it up.

If you want to take it to the next level, you might consider buying a freeze dryer from Harvest Right and making your own. Guacamole, Hummus, Chili, Stew...

20230706_154747.jpg

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
I have to keep the freeze dried stuff to a minimum. Maybe once or twice a week.
Stuff with tomato paste/sauce really screws with me. I dont do Italian.