Garmin 62s, marking distant waypoints

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
So I just got my next GPS, Garmin 62s and... one of my favorite gps pastimes is to pan the map and mark a location...I dunno of a bedded buck or a cool drainage I wanna hike into. With this gps I'm unable to sit on my couch and pan all over the map and mark a far off location. What the heck man!! I guess there's some way to "move waypoints" but it seems like it wouldn't work well. Anyone have thoughts or a fix?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do you mean sitting on your couch at home and marking waypoints several hundred miles away? You should be able to pan to another location and then zoom in on that location and mark something. Pretty sure I can do that with my 60CSX. But I prefer to study real maps at home and then manually enter UTM coordinates from those into my GPS for future use.

OP
Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
That's the one. On couch, in boxers, with a bag of potato chips and google earth open. Yeah I could do it with my other GPS units but not this one...sucky.

FlyGuy

WKR
I've had mine for 2-3 seasons and still haven't figured out how to mark anything except the spot I'm standing. Hoping someone chimes in with the solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried in base camp but I did input a few by entering in the GE coordinates, worked but long and tedious and NOT a solution for while on a hunt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So you're saying you can't pan over to another spot and hit "enter" and then hit "mark"? I haven't looked at the 62's but I assumed that they had the same buttons as the 60CSX as it was the successor to the 60.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
You can drop a waypoint on the map where you are at>hit the mark button, when the waypoint page opens hit the menu button>choose move waypoint, the map will come back up and then use the arrow buttons to move he waypoint where you want it and then hit enter, the waypoint will be moved. That is the only way I know of to do this on the unit.
I'd say that if you're on the couch Basecamp would be the easiest way to mark distant waypoints. In the field the way I described wouldn't be too bad as you'll not be far from where you want to move that point to.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
You can also "project a waypoint"; if you are in the field and spot something/somewhere you want to navigate to or mark on the you map. Mark a waypoint at your location, hit menu when waypoint page opens, choose "project waypoint", then you will be asked to enter the direction in degrees, then distance in a multiple of choices (feet, yards, meters, km, miles). This is useful especially if you have a compass to shoot an azimuth to the object and a range finder.

i'm a dinosaur with these things. i scout maps on my computer and write down grid coordinates and type them in manually to create waypoints.

Randle

WKR
I just did it on my 60 csx . Pan to the point , hit enter, then hit enter again , then save. You will need to rename as mine says something like 3800 ft once I save it. Then I rename it for my secret super sleuth code name.places . See if that works.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I just did it on my 60 csx . Pan to the point , hit enter, then hit enter again , then save. You will need to rename as mine says something like 3800 ft once I save it. Then I rename it for my secret super sleuth code name.places . See if that works.

Randle, On the 62 (or at least my 62) doing that just opens the "go to" screen for the point where the arrow is, hitting enter again drops a pin and line from your location to that point, no waypoint point, and starts an active navigation to that point.

Randle

WKR
Well that does suck. I guess I am glad I haven't up gradedd. Seem everything is a compromise. Get the new great feature, but lose the one you really like. Hope someone can help out with the 62

NHBacon

FNG
I have the 62st or whatever model. It took me a bit to figure it out. I'm at work so I'll double check when I get home. I just hit mark. When that screen popped up I scrolled down and changed the info as I needed. It's a pain in the ass putting in the lat/lon this way but it worked. I entered 3 points from CO and I'm in NH. I'll dbl check when I get home.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

NHBacon

FNG
Ok double checked. From the map screen I hit my "Mark" button. From there a waypoint screen pops up. I scroll down through and fill out all the info I'm transferring then save. I've been grabbing coordinates from Google earth for our CO trip this way. I found it easier then scrolling from NH to CO and trying to find a spot.
Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk