Garmin In Reach base model vs topo maps

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at investing in a Garmin In Reach. The two models are base model and one that comes with topo maps. If I am going to use my onX hunt chip in it, would I be able to pull up the topo maps from onX on the base model or do I need the more expensive model with maps to use the chips?

Neither. OnX chips don't work in the InReach. But the phone app map has private land layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Well that sucks. Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on it. Thanks

muddydogs

WKR
If you do a search or look around a little there has been 5 to 8 posts over the last couple months talking about the InReach and explaining some of the differences between ONX and the earthmate landowner maps.
The two models of InReaches are the old SE or new SE+ that is just a communicator and the old Explorer or newer Explorer+ which is a communicator and GPS. Neither take GPS chips. The stand alone Earthmate app which can be used with your phone or tablet has ownership maps that are about as good as the ONX.

Gobbler36

WKR
Been in this situation recently and decided that the garmin inreach explorer for the money isn't really worth it, although I never field tested it I had read lots of reviews about the gps being average to below average at best. So I went with icking up a 64st on eBay for $250 and getting a Delorme inreach on eBay for $150. Saved a little money and now I can text and have a great gps with OnX until these garmin inreach explorer are updated and they come out with a unit that uses their 100k topo map. Just my .02

I agree with Adam and did the same thing. Delorme's InReach works great and is several hundred cheaper than Garmin. Both are compatible with Garmin Earthmate app which is surprisingly nice and clearly identifies public and private land.

You need to have a phone anyway to effectively use the InReach. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. The device should be considered a two way text messager. It does that function well. The rest of the features are non-essential.

muddydogs

WKR
Been in this situation recently and decided that the garmin inreach explorer for the money isn't really worth it, although I never field tested it I had read lots of reviews about the gps being average to below average at best. So I went with icking up a 64st on eBay for $250 and getting a Delorme inreach on eBay for $150. Saved a little money and now I can text and have a great gps with OnX until these garmin inreach explorer are updated and they come out with a unit that uses their 100k topo map. Just my .02

I just don't get why one would spend $250 on a GPS then $150 on an InReach when you could have just purchased an InReach Explorer. Then use your phone as a GPS with the Explorer as a backup unit and communicator. I don't know how well the Explorer GPS works but I can tell you that my phone and the Earthmate app works just fine. Just did a 100 mile ATV trip where I tracked the trail in the Earthmate app using my phones GPS and it didn't miss a beat, heck the phone even logged where I got off the ATV and stepped off the trail to take a pee.

You stated you save a little money but you really didn't considering you spent $400 on units and what ever for the ONX when you could have purchased a used Explorer then $30 a year for all 50 states to get the Earthmate hunt addition.