Garmin inreach mini 2 - How many messages ?

For the first time ever, we are taking a longer Garmin in reach. I’m told I get 10 messages a month. for anyone who’s used them, Is that 10 outgoing messages, and replies? or a total of 10? Five outgoing and five replies?

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Total messages including received. I’m always over my overage of 40 per month and it’s annoying. Make sure to tell those who message you to keep reply’s short. They get split into two messages after a certain character amount - I think 150?

Agree with the others.

To answer your specific question though, outgoing and incoming each count, so you would get 5 outgoing and 5 incoming. Preset messages to present recipients (that you set up in your online account) do not count toward that total.

As everyone is saying - that will be total messages. If you aren't going to use year round - do the freedom plan for unlimited and just pay for the month(s) you are going to use.
One of these years I will just pay for a year upfront but for now I only use it May/June/August/September/October - so it doesn't make sense to pay for the year. But unlimited is definitely the way to go with weather/messages/etc.
You do get 3 preset messages you can send an unlimited number of I believe on all plans though.

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Was in the back country all last week with mine. I went with the freedom unlimited plan, and was glad I did. I seem to always send more messages to the wife than expected.

Brushcreekbill

Lil-Rokslider
Same here. I always get the unlimited plan. Last year I went with the recreation plan and went over

CorbLand

WKR
I have had mine for years and only once went over the 10 but I don’t text very often. The one time I went over I was with a kid that’s his wife was 2-3 weeks from her due date so we texted more often to keep up with her. I think I went over by 5 or so texts.

If you are going to use it a lot then unlimited but if not, it’s only 50 cents per message.

Set up your presets and you can do a lot with those. I have one that is just everything is ok that I can send to my wife and that’s all she needs.

Sadler

WKR
I just activated mine for the month. For unlimited everything I think it was less than $40. Totally worth it to me.

Bfdavis89

FNG
Better to pay for unlimited and not think twice about it then have surprise overages every time!

rayporter

WKR
l use mine year round but get by fine with the safety plan.

during season if i go over my 10 by 10 or 20 i dont sweat the 5 or 10 bucks extra for a month. it is nice to have it available all year for insurance.

For the Freedom (month-to-month) plans, 100/110 mesages is the breakeven point between the Expedition (unlimited) plan and the Safety/Recreation plans. All messages received get counted, and incoming messages over the character limit (somewhere around 160-170 characters) get split into multiple messages. Emojis count as multiple characters, so if you're trying to limit usage, tell whomever will be sending you messages to be succinct and skip the emojis.
Screenshot_20200729-163539-2.png

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep, I spring for the unlimited. I bought the thing so my wife is comfortable when I’m gone that I am safe. It’s stupid to tell her to not message me back to save $20

Marble

WKR
I tried to use the cheaper plan last October. Cost me way more money. It's $65 for 3 months out of the year. Let's call it $200 for whomever loves you to feel all warm and fuzzy your safe and sound.

I get less grief before ,after and during my trip from people who worry about me because they are in the know when I'm in the back country solo. It's worth every penny.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Erict

WKR
I'd highly recommend unlimited for the first month for any new user (like myself). This way you can test every possible feature as much as you want, share with family/friends, get replies, get those at home used to viewing the maps and/or tracking, etc. You all should also perform at least one SOS test - the instructions for arranging one are on the Garmin site. Good luck.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Incoming and outgoing count. But you can set your preset messages to say whatever you want iirc. Since they are free, you only have to worry about the replies.

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I have the safety plan and keep it all year. Usually September and October I’ll go over by 10-20 messages and just pay the overage fee.