Garmin inreach mini 2 - How many messages ?

ODB

WKR
I have had mine for years and only once went over the 10 but I don’t text very often. The one time I went over I was with a kid that’s his wife was 2-3 weeks from her due date so we texted more often to keep up with her. I think I went over by 5 or so texts.

If you are going to use it a lot then unlimited but if not, it’s only 50 cents per message.

Set up your presets and you can do a lot with those. I have one that is just everything is ok that I can send to my wife and that’s all she needs.

ding ding ding.

I make my presets dual purpose: good morning/goodnight; just arrived/leaving,etc. it has worked well for 10 years now. If we need to text for an emergency, I don’t give a rats ass about the cost. But when I am out, it’s generally radio silence on both ends. I mean…that’s what we are out there for, no?

Koyote

FNG
So if I understand correctly, the freedom plan allows you to pick certain months out of the year that you wish to pay for the plan (and the other months you dont get charged). Is this correct? Thinking of finally getting an inreach

So if I understand correctly, the freedom plan allows you to pick certain months out of the year that you wish to pay for the plan (and the other months you dont get charged). Is this correct? Thinking of finally getting an inreach
Correct with one addendum: you also pay a $35 annual fee on top of the monthly fee for whatever months you choose to have active service.

Koyote

FNG
Correct with one addendum: you also pay a $35 annual fee on top of the monthly fee for whatever months you choose to have active service.
Awesome, thanks for the info. For my usage, that seems worth it to get unlimited for a couple months

Elkbelch

FNG
My daughter just used hers for 5 months this summer while hiking the PCT. I think it was around $60/month but there were sometimes like over $100 months. My daughter said she was checking the weather so watch extra charges. I didn't care what it cost, it was worth it to plot her path along the trail and know she had reached camp each day. You may not need it but your loved ones will be thankful for it. With that said we let the sub run out just before heading the elk camp but I'll be with her and we can check in sometimes when we are up high.

The Guide

WKR
I hunt and fish year round and many places I go don't have service. I broke my leg in January and now know how screwed I would be if I had an accident alone in the back country. I just paid for the yearly subscription to the premium service since I can charge it off on my taxes for my contracting/consulting business because I will use it for work as a safety device.

Jay

kk11

FNG
Good advice on here about using the Garmin InReach. I have had it for about 5 years and pay for the Freedom safety plan. It has been a good way to go for me. I use the pre-set messages a lot. My wife likes that it sends my location on a map with the message. You can set up the preset messages before you go and have the message sent to who you want. It has worked well for me.

LionHead

WKR
I'm another safety plan guy. It's the cheapest monthly and I don't have to think about it or change my plan ahead of time. Even if i sent/received 50 messages that's only $25. Its Worth it.

I also have a system of preset check ins in the AM and PM. If nothing of note happens i usually get one or two simple messages to stay up to date with the wife.

It helps when you grew up with T9 texting from the old days. You can get a lot says in 160 characters