Garmin inReach necessity

fmyth

WKR
I wasn’t impressed with my buds inreach mini last year...
Took a long time for messages to go through.

But, I suppose it’s better than nothing.

Did you personally confirm that your friends inreach mini was not set to the default message listen interval of 10 minutes?

Every time I've heard this complaint it has turned out to be user error. If you don't change the settings and send a message to someone and they reply, it will take 10 min from the time they reply to the inreach for you to receive it. I've used my inreach in WY, CO, AZ and AK and never had it take more than a minute or two to for the message to reach the recipient.

I like the idea of being able to let people know we're all good while hunting and am considering one this year. However, every time I'm away hunting and have any service on my phone all I ever seem to get are messages that just piss me off and I can't do anything about..."The cats puked all over the couch"..."The wind blew the trash all down the street"...etc. For that reason I kind of like not having any service when I'm elk hunting.

I've asked my wife to try to pretend like everything is going great, even if it may not be, and she is understanding. I can hear about it when I get home. But obviously if she takes my daughter to the ER with a temperature I'd like to know. The cat puke can wait (in my case dog shit).

Did you personally confirm that your friends inreach mini was not set to the default message listen interval of 10 minutes?

Every time I've heard this complaint it has turned out to be user error. If you don't change the settings and send a message to someone and they reply, it will take 10 min from the time they reply to the inreach for you to receive it. I've used my inreach in WY, CO, AZ and AK and never had it take more than a minute or two to for the message to reach the recipient.

Negative-
The only thing I did personally, was listen to him bitch lol.
I appreciate the info and I’ll pass it along.

CJohnson

WKR
I like the inreach for all of the reasons described above. It will probably end up being more than $299 though unless you get a free plan when you buy it.

If you are on a tight budget and you are hunting with a partner I would say an Inreach is not a complete necessity. I have been on plenty of hunts without it. Recently I started hunting more by myself and away from the truck. That is when the Inreach really became important. Provides my wife some comfort when I’m out on those hunts.

jfs82

WKR
My in reach is what allows for me to go out overnight solo and keep the girl happy. So well worth it.

MN Hunter

FNG
I have an In Reach and love it. I do alot of solo hunts and my wife makes me care one for safety reasons. Its nice to have the ability to communicate to the your love ones back home.

brsnow

WKR
I carry it year round. Cost $12 a month. I fish, hike, bike , and hunt solo much of the time outside of cell coverage. It makes sense for, what do all the pistol carriers say, better to have and not need, then need and not have.

11boo

WKR
The Spot X is cheaper, and there are new sat comm solutions popping up. Zoleo is one new sat text device that Is Bluetooth connected . I expect garmin to cut prices someday just to keep market share.

ive been using the spot connect but will upgrade this year. It works, is cheap(100.00) but only gives you a couple messag choices and a SOS button.

Having a weather forecast at your fingertips is nice also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad and I have 1st Rifle tags for Colorado, unit 68. We plan to set a basecamp and day hunt that week, with gear to venture out for a night if we need to. Looking at the AT&T map, half of the unit doesn't get service outside of some peaks. I'm thinking about getting an inReach Mini, but I'm also thinking if SHTF, at least one of us could get back to the truck and find cell service. What are the odds both of us would be injured? If I was alone or this was a backpack hunt I would feel more strongly about it. Otherwise the Garmin would be used primarily for keeping in touch with family back home more easily. It's just hard for me to justify $299 for it. Am I thinking about this the right way?

If you end up needing it , it will be the best $300 you ever spend. Let’s say one of you falls unconscious is the other going to just leave and go to the truck? I would venture a bet that would be a no.

My wife had me turn it on to track my son and I going to Colorado the minute we left route 80 and got on to the twisty mountain roads. That peace of mind for her was worth it for me to pay the price of the inReach and subscription.

I don’t have one. Have spent lots of time
Hunting the backcountry of Colorado before these gadgets came out. They are handy but I haven’t been able to justify the price yet

It’s just like any other insurance policy. They seem like a waste of money until you need it and then it was the smartest money you ever spent.

Spence14

WKR
Having a weather forecast at your fingertips is nice also

I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet. Weather can change quickly in the mountains, having those updates at your fingertips was pretty big for me... as well as all of the other reasons people have mentioned.

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't feel very strongly about carrying it until I moved to Montana....That SOS could save your life if you run into a not-so-friendly griz.

Family certainly appreciates it as well.

I wouldn't plan on cellular service anywhere in the mountains, regardless of the service map. I do get occasional 4G with Verizon though.

I borrowed an inreach two seasons ago. I got it to sync with my phone and confirmed it worked. Then, I put it in my pack and only took it out to hand it back to my buddy three months later.

Things might be different if I had kids or was separated from hunting partners.

I don’t own one and probably won’t. I go to the mountains to get away from technology. I give a general area and itinerary to the wife with a no later time to worry. I’ve been doing this for the past 20 years and I don’t see a reason to change. I am by no means telling anyone what to do, this is just how I am. I can’t justify the price and a payment plan when I already have a stupid payment for a phone.

GotDraw?

WKR
Fabulous piece of gear. Love mine. Girlfriend sleeps better and is FAR less anxious. I can have some minimal correspondence with my work team at night so the wheels don't fall off the bus.

WRT hiking back to the truck to get a signal-- forget it. Takes too long if you have a real emergency. Time kills in an emergency.

JL

GotDraw?

WKR
IF YOU BUY AN INREACH-- MAKE SURE THE SYSTEM SOFTWARE IS ALWAYS THE MOST CURRENT VERSION.
UPDATE IT BEFORE GOING IN THE FIELD EACH TIME.

My understanding is that out of date software can cause functionality issues and prevent the ability to send/receive.

JL

It's unlikely you would both get hurt. But one might get hurt and need care while waiting for help. You could definitely BOTH get lost. :cool:

I don't consider coms a necessity, as you can still complete a hunt without it. A rifle is a necessity. But it's definitely nice to have and reduces some of the risks of hunting in the backcountry. As others have said, you can rent one.