Garmin inReach necessity

I got one a few years ago. I do most of my hunting solo in poor to no service. Great peace of mind. It’s come in handy a few times when I was gonna be home after the time I gave my wife. So I was able to send a text rather than drive out to get service or be late and worry her.

My wife paid for mine just so she would know I was OK as I often go solo. Even with a partner we are likely to scout or hunt separate sometimes to cover more ground. I'm frequently in places with no cell signal. Having a partner is great but if something that requires more immediate attention happens it's good to know you can at least contact someone almost immediately so long as you are conscious. But that quick pre-assigned daily message to my wife saying "I'm OK" is invaluable to my her. She needs to know when she can cash in that life insurance policy. Ha..

Anozira

WKR
I use one to keep my wife happy and for true emergencies. Here is another story from a fellow rokslider:

Archellon

FNG
As others have already said, I use mine mainly to keep in contact with my wife. However, I also like knowing I can get help if I absolutely need it. Worth the $300.