Garmin Maps 64st

Looking for a new gps and saw this one with some pretty solid reviews especially in cold weather since it still has actual buttons and not touch screen only. Does any one have this and have a first hand review of it? Pros/Cons, how does it work with Onyx Maps etc... thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandYacht

WKR
I run the 64s. Unless you can get the st for the same price, I'd save the coin and get the s. exact same units except he st has a preloaded very basic map. If you're going to run the chip you won't use the preloaded map.

OP
huntstrong2850
I run the 64s. Unless you can get the st for the same price, I'd save the coin and get the s. exact same units except he st has a preloaded very basic map. If you're going to run the chip you won't use the preloaded map.

Good deal! Thanks for that! Very valid point

LandYacht

WKR
It's a great unit that has great coverage. The onx chip is a must have in my opinion. I get coverage everywhere. Had rhinos in the past and etrex units and they aren't even close. The csx units are close, but glonas really pin points. I don't think I've ever lost coverage including in my house.

Easy to mark waypoint which is why I use it over the cell phone route. I'd love to shave the extra unit out of my kit but I don't think the cell phone has the same level that the 64s operates on. I debated about getting an Oregon when I got this but went with this because of the buttons instead of he touch screen. Figured I could use the cell phone if I wanted a touch screen.

Have run the 64s for two years now and I haven't been sad with my purchase even a little bit. It is better in batteries than my rhino as it takes just two, but I wish they would last a little longer than they do. I get about two full days of hunting with a set. I leave it on the full day so I can track my mileage and have my crumb trail to look at on google earth. Hope that helps you

OP
huntstrong2850
It's a great unit that has great coverage. The onx chip is a must have in my opinion. I get coverage everywhere. Had rhinos in the past and etrex units and they aren't even close. The csx units are close, but glonas really pin points. I don't think I've ever lost coverage including in my house.

Easy to mark waypoint which is why I use it over the cell phone route. I'd love to shave the extra unit out of my kit but I don't think the cell phone has the same level that the 64s operates on. I debated about getting an Oregon when I got this but went with this because of the buttons instead of he touch screen. Figured I could use the cell phone if I wanted a touch screen.

Have run the 64s for two years now and I haven't been sad with my purchase even a little bit. It is better in batteries than my rhino as it takes just two, but I wish they would last a little longer than they do. I get about two full days of hunting with a set. I leave it on the full day so I can track my mileage and have my crumb trail to look at on google earth. Hope that helps you

Yes sir that's everything I needed right there in one paragraph. The way points, bread crumbs and mileage are my main reasons for wanting to get one to use all day. As you said the cell phone just doesn't allow for that and that's all I have been using.

I'm venturing out to new places and units so marking waypoints becomes very important and especially knowing how to get back to the truck after something is killed and all the excitement and tracking you get turned around in a new unit pretty easily or at least I do lol... thank you sir

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
I got a 64st on sale earlier and love it! Been using it in different states with an onx chip for whichever state I'm in. On my last hunt to AZ I scouted from my couch on Google earth and just marked waypoints in my GPS from the couch. It worked flawlessly! I even found my camping spot from Google earth and found it with my GPS no problem once I got out there. I usually hunt the jungles of western Washington and this thing never has a problem getting a signal either. I use it in my house all the time too and it always gets reception in the house.. Awesome unit and I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

I got the 64st and the on x chip and have nothing negative to say in the slightest. For me, it was worth the money. Like anything, shop around and be patient for sales.

I run the 62st, which is the slightly older version of the 64. They are similar in every way physically. The 64 has the ability to pick-up GLONASS which adds some accuracy, but not a deal breaker. The 62 can hold about 2,000 waypoints while the 64 can hold around 5,000. I've never run out of room to add waypoints with the 62.

Prices seem to be running about the same for the 62S and 64S, so I would just find the cheapest one and run with it. While I have the ST, I agree with other posters that the ST is useless since I run the ONXmaps anyway. The pre-loaded maps that come with the ST are obsolete once you have the ONX. I would also agree that battery life is less than I'd like, but it's not horrible.

Just to note, I have a Garmin Montana and Oregon for work. I much prefer the 62/64 over the touch screen versions. With the touch screens, it seems like they want to drop a pin anytime you have your finger on the screen for more than a second or two. Very annoying. The Montana is also huge. Way too big for my likes.

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
I've noticed as Garmin model numbers start to get older (like my 60csx) some of the onx chips are hit and miss.. I spoke with them multiple times about this. They were always super helpful, but in the end I just needed a more updated unit. Stoked on the 64ST! I think I paid 299.00 for my unit on sale at cabelas a while back.