Garmin rino 650 radio setup question?

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
So I was out with my elk hunting buddy messing with the Rino 650's. We were on logging roads and split up about a mile apart and tried to contact each other. we weren't able to reach each other. I pulled up the rino 650 user manual and noticed it says that in order for us to operate on the GMRS channels 1 through 7 and channels 15 through 22 that we need an FCC license. The GMRS channels are the ones that offer 5 watt transmission power whereas channels 8 through 14 which are FRS channels only offer 1/2 watt transmission power.

So those of you who use Rinos...what are your radio settings? Headed to camp on Tuesday and hoping to get this dialed in.

Thank you,

Drew

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
I see. Ok. I'm pretty new to using radios and figured it wasn't working because I didn't have a license. Haha. So perhaps there were just too many trees between me and my buddy. kind of a bummer cause where we're headed there's WAY bigger timber and mountains than what we've been in today. Any tips on optimal use of these radios?

Got reception to talk back and forth in the sand hills of s. Dak of about three miles, line of sight. Was on a fishing trip line of sight with buddies boat , less than mile and no reception........go figure

Shrek

WKR
Run it and forget about the license. There is nobody out enforcing the license requirements .

As has been pointed out , the best practice would be to spend the few minutes it takes to fill out the form and pay the few bucks and be above board. Yes , it's time and money spent on a bureaucratic void you will never get anything from but you will be in full compliance with the law

Oh , and don't bet your life on those radios. As someone else was relating , they are hit and miss and mountains and vegetation will play havoc with reception. I've owned a lot of the small radios over the years and have never been thrilled with their performance.

Last edited:

n2horns

WKR
Many bubble pack radios are not a true 5 watts. Those radios claim 60 miles etc.. provided the exact conditions exist, clear open line of sight no curves no nothing etc...

Commercial radios are true wattage such as Motorola BPR 40 in VHF for outside use, runs thru 5 wats. Program to MURS and no license. Or you can run HAM and the world opens up. I use both and both have their uses, especially when people in your party are not HAMs.

trk3263

WKR
Make sure in the radio setup you have the 2 or 5 watt option chosen. I think the default may be the 1/2 watt. 5 watt will only work with the rechargeable battery pack and I think 2 watt is max for the AA battery pack option.