Garmin Xero Bow Sights

ontarget7

WKR
Awesome sight
Guys really need to do their homework. This sight encourages practice as it’s part of the setup process and will not give you a given yardage unless you have gone through and done your part to get dialed in. It also aids in those holdover shots that are miss calculated all the time. Actually quite a few benefits to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim Jim

WKR
This site looks awesome! I’ve already told the wife that I wanted this for my birthday
There will always be haters with technology, especially older folks for some reason. I love technology .

dotman

WKR
I think its cool technology however as BrushyHillGuide said theres no way i would drop that much $ on a site! It will be interesting to see issues people have with it in fog/rain/snow

I don’t see how it could fog up and with the coatings it should be fine in the rain and snow.

ontarget7

WKR
Have yet to have mine fog up. Zero issues while in the rain or snow from what I have experienced so far

Hate to bust your bubble, but thats not bow hunting. Might as well use a cross bow. I have a certain pride in being a skilled archer that can estimate ranges and have enough knowledge of my bow to know what pin to use. This seems like an attempt to appeal to hunters that want to expend their hunting season without putting in the work associated with bow hunting. Bow hunting is supposed to be hard. It is a discipline. That is what makes it fun. But, in America, we have to make everything easier for people that don't want to work hard, so this makes sense. Not trying to be difficult, but bow hunting more than any form of hunting is something I cherish. Sucks we have to cheapen it.

You know, as a new bow hunter, this comment resinated with me. I decided to bow hunt for many reasons and some of those had to do with the challenge. I think the lines get blurred to the point of grey scale and really, no one is right or wrong. But your comments are appreciated. Thank you.

I have decided to not buy this sight for simple reasons: Cost and deservedness. In my mind, this sight is too expensive. I suspect that we will see more of these and the prices will come down, so I will wait. Also, I cannot go to the wife and justify a $1,000 ($800 for the basic model) since I have such limited experience. I would say that that price range is for the professionals. My other thought is that I really don't deserve this sight since I have not put in my time like kingfisher has. I feel like I need to learn a lot more about bowhunting before I go to that level.

But, I will say this, with the shot that I had last season on a Bull Elk, I would have been successful had I used this sight. That would have been amazing really, a first time bow hunter, laying arrows into a trophy Elk, with a somewhat primitive weapon, in the a very difficult and remote location. It would be like a student driver winning the Indy 500. Doesn't that kinda cheapen the competition/challenge itself?

And then when you take about being true to form. Imagine a fly fisherman using bait at the end of his line? Or self driving cars competing against each other. Where's the competition, the challenge, the struggle?

Have yet to have mine fog up. Zero issues while in the rain or snow from what I have experienced so far

Thank you for your input Shane. I really appreciate all of your sharing of knowledge. I have watched a lot of your videos, especially the bow tuning with the Prime Centergy. Seeing you use this product is a very strong pull to how valid it is. I hope you can share my comments with Garmin. Meanwhile, keep up the great work.

kicker338

WKR
A lot has been said about this sight ethical or not but it is heading in the direction of controversy. Note the crossbow issue, that's been a battle ground for yrs. next is black powder, loose powder vs pellets vs lead round balls vs sabots. Those 2 have been at the for front with F&G departments across the states for yrs. now. Big question is WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE is it cross bows that can shoot 1inch groups at 100+ yds with very little practice yet still be classified as a primitive weapon ie bow?? Is it a black powder gun the is capable of taking game out to 600+ yds. yet still be call a primitive short range weapon. Or is it a smart rifle, computer controlled capable of hitting a target at 1000+yds being fired by someone who has never fired a gun before??? I don't think that the garmin sight is in that area yet but how much longer before a smart version of a bow arrives that will allow a first time bow shooter to lets say consistently hit a target at 150+yds.

ontarget7

WKR
Thank you for your input Shane. I really appreciate all of your sharing of knowledge. I have watched a lot of your videos, especially the bow tuning with the Prime Centergy. Seeing you use this product is a very strong pull to how valid it is. I hope you can share my comments with Garmin. Meanwhile, keep up the great work.

No problem

I guess I’m having a hard time finding why some feel this sight takes away the challenge of the hunt. Maybe it’s do to no experience with the sight itself, really not sure. Or, those that just don’t like technology at all, but then they should be shooting limbs, sticks and arrowheads.

Nothing changes from an archers standpoint. You still put in the same time to be a successful bowhunter as you would with any sight. Now the Xero completely gives you an obstructed field of view. Through this I feel I do gain accuracy some. It sets your mind at easy. None the less, you still have to put the dot on the spot as you would a pin.

I feel this shines with short distance angles shots in regards to holdover yardage’s estimated. Guys blow this every year and don’t realize that a 7 yards shot may be you using your 40,50,60 etc pin depending on your specs.

I feel with the ability of the Xero this is huge at aiding in clean ethical kills and less wounded game.

It also forces one to be efficient with their setup. You have to put in the time to verify your shots and accurately plug in your yardage’s. It won’t let you put in yardage’s that you have not dialed in yet. So if you see an animal at 70 yards and you only have confidence in what you have dialed in out to 60 yards it wouldn’t pull up a dot if you tried to take a shot at 70.

It is truly a well thought out ethical way that Garmin has catapulted into the archery industry. It was designed with total ethics in mind and extremely accurate in its software in its calculations, once you have put in your time.

dotman

WKR
You know, as a new bow hunter, this comment resinated with me. I decided to bow hunt for many reasons and some of those had to do with the challenge. I think the lines get blurred to the point of grey scale and really, no one is right or wrong. But your comments are appreciated. Thank you.

I have decided to not buy this sight for simple reasons: Cost and deservedness. In my mind, this sight is too expensive. I suspect that we will see more of these and the prices will come down, so I will wait. Also, I cannot go to the wife and justify a $1,000 ($800 for the basic model) since I have such limited experience. I would say that that price range is for the professionals. My other thought is that I really don't deserve this sight since I have not put in my time like kingfisher has. I feel like I need to learn a lot more about bowhunting before I go to that level.

But, I will say this, with the shot that I had last season on a Bull Elk, I would have been successful had I used this sight. That would have been amazing really, a first time bow hunter, laying arrows into a trophy Elk, with a somewhat primitive weapon, in the a very difficult and remote location. It would be like a student driver winning the Indy 500. Doesn't that kinda cheapen the competition/challenge itself?

And then when you take about being true to form. Imagine a fly fisherman using bait at the end of his line? Or self driving cars competing against each other. Where's the competition, the challenge, the struggle?

News flash, any compound bow is not even somewhat primitive, tons of technology in that weapon 😂 and I shoot one.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Curious what's the longest dot you have shot in the sight housing?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ontarget7

WKR
Curious what's the longest dot you have shot in the sight housing?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Assuming your referring to farthest yardage ?

95 yards is about max with my setups so far.

Gumbo

WKR
There are lots of reasons in my mind that this sight as it is manufactured will not be chosen by hardcore hunters. It is a really cool idea, and I have no problem with the technology/ethics issue, but the technology is troublesome in that it could go bad at any moment, batteries could die, it is HEAVY (bow lean/form issues), and factor in the elements' impact on the site and I think a standard hunting sight is a far better option. At least my sight is absolutely unimpacted by the elements and if my rangefinder fails at the moment of truth I can still shoot.

News flash, any compound bow is not even somewhat primitive, tons of technology in that weapon 😂 and I shoot one.

Gee, thanks for the news flash.

All condescension aside, I understand what you are saying, I think. But how much of that is for the ethical kill and overall success? They might be one and the same, but my concern is that we as bowhunters get so successful, we suddenly are classified differently by our departments of wildlife and we are hunting right next to the rifle hunters. Not a very good situation at all. Like someone talked about earlier in the thread with crossbows and such. The closer we get to a more successful group, we no longer stand out.

I, for one, want to stand out and keep it primitive but ensure that when I arrow an animal, it dies as quickly as possible. I have no opinion about this sight since I have not used it in person. Don't get me wrong, I see the benefits of this sight, but get concerned that we are going to get "too good" for our "own good".