Garmin Xero Bow Sights

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
376 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry quoted you and everything and didn't noticed I had fat figured my fps 276. I interested in the amount of vertical adjustment of the dots to compare to my black gold slider

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Gee, thanks for the news flash.

All condescension aside, I understand what you are saying, I think. But how much of that is for the ethical kill and overall success? They might be one and the same, but my concern is that we as bowhunters get so successful, we suddenly are classified differently by our departments of wildlife and we are hunting right next to the rifle hunters. Not a very good situation at all. Like someone talked about earlier in the thread with crossbows and such. The closer we get to a more successful group, we no longer stand out.

I, for one, want to stand out and keep it primitive but ensure that when I arrow an animal, it dies as quickly as possible. I have no opinion about this sight since I have not used it in person. Don't get me wrong, I see the benefits of this sight, but get concerned that we are going to get "too good" for our "own good".

Oh I don’t think that will happen, more to hunting then just the final shot. Look at rifle success rates and tell me why they are not at 100%, this will not let you shoot further and faster then a rifle. Archery success rates would not drastically increase, I bet 70% never even see an elk within 1000 yards if even see an elk. This goes for all game as well, only reason archery success rates are what they are is the majority don’t have the ability to constantly get within their effective range, which the Garmin will not change. The shot is 100% on the shooter.

You should learn more about the Garmin and how you have to work up to your proficiency to even get a pin to show, 100 yard pin doesn’t just pop up. To use the Garmin sight you actually have to put the work in just as much as fixed or slider sight. You use computer software to help but you do the same with a slider, what program do you think spits out the sight tapes, Garmin creates a sight tape just like a slider just you have to work up your profile and actually shoot out to a max range for it to work.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh I don’t think that will happen, more to hunting then just the final shot. Look at rifle success rates and tell me why they are not at 100%, this will not let you shoot further and faster then a rifle. Archery success rates would not drastically increase, I bet 70% never even see an elk within 1000 yards if even see an elk. This goes for all game as well, only reason archery success rates are what they are is the majority don’t have the ability to constantly get within their effective range.

You should learn more about the Garmin and how you have to work up to your proficiency to even get a pin to show, 100 yard pin doesn’t just pop up. To use the Garmin sight you actually have to put the work in just as much as fixed or slider sight. You use computer software to help but you do the same with a slider, what program do you think spits out the sight tapes, Garmin creates a sight tape just like a slider just you have to work up your profile and actually shoot out to a max range for it to work.
Do you have this sight on your bow?

dotman

WKR
Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I watched the Garmin setup and Shane's video. I'd love to see a few other reviews where people spent thier own money on it. Hopefully slimjim will have some feed back soon. It's a pile of money to me but my biggest problem is it's not legal in any otc elk states.
I'm worried where technology in hunting is heading but Lord knows I need every advantage I can get. A single pin placed at the exact yardage at the exact time you need it would make anyone a better shot.

dotman

WKR
I have a hard time believing it won’t have bugs the first year or so. I’m sure we’ll hear more about it over the next year but I wonder how it’ll do in extreme cold.

dotman

WKR
So you say you don't think that the sight will change much for bowhunting but it is illegal in your state. Hmmmm.....

No I don’t and unfortunately in CO the state laws are dictated by P&Y which to me is an outdated old mans club, no it will not drastically improve success just as lighted knocks do not yet were illegal in many states till recently. I mainly archery hunt CO, I live in KS where it is legal.

ontarget7

WKR
Legalize pot, smoke it while hunting etc but you couldn’t even shoot lighted nocks till recently.
Some of the stuff they do there is crazy. Reminds me of California unfortunately.

Oh I don’t think that will happen, more to hunting then just the final shot. Look at rifle success rates and tell me why they are not at 100%, this will not let you shoot further and faster then a rifle. Archery success rates would not drastically increase, I bet 70% never even see an elk within 1000 yards if even see an elk. This goes for all game as well, only reason archery success rates are what they are is the majority don’t have the ability to constantly get within their effective range, which the Garmin will not change. The shot is 100% on the shooter.

No I don’t and unfortunately in CO the state laws are dictated by P&Y which to me is an outdated old mans club, no it will not drastically improve success just as lighted knocks do not yet were illegal in many states till recently. I mainly archery hunt CO, I live in KS where it is legal.

Legalize pot, smoke it while hunting etc but you couldn’t even shoot lighted nocks till recently.
Some of the stuff they do there is crazy. Reminds me of California unfortunately.

And this is just it, isn't it? In that it is not what WE as hunters think, but the people who regulate our hunting lives. I suspect a lot of ignorant people out there are looking for ways to further control our hunting privileges. They might look at the Garmin sight and think huh, that will really increase the performance of the bow hunter, thereby increasing the possible success rate = REDUCED number of tags. That is my concern. It really does not matter what our understanding of bowhunting is but what their perception is.

kicker338

WKR
Some of the stuff they do there is crazy. Reminds me of California unfortun

No pot here in Idaho, no lighted nocks, no mechanicals, no electronics attached to a bow. Quad exodus broad heads not even leagel, change comes real slow here LOL.

icb12

FNG
For those interested. In Alaska the Garmin xero is not completely illegal.

It is illegal for archery specific hunts/tags.
However if you wish to hunt with a bow on a general season harvest ticket or any non-archery specific hunt it would be fine. It would be treated just as a red dot/reflex sight, in that it does not project a laser down range and doesn't light up anything. I asked because the regs didn't make sense to me considering the legality of those sights on rifles.

ADFG Response:

"Iain,
After looking into it, the sight would not be legal in Archery Only seasons(weapons restricted), but would be legal in the General Season (non-weapons restricted).
Pg 20 of the Alaska Hunting Regulations shows the restrictions to electronic devices attached to a bow during Archery Only seasons.
I hope that helps, "

@icb12
curious if the information you quoted above was verified by a directly by a AF&G official? I did look up the 2021 Hunting regulations and I do interpret that the Garmin site would be illegal on an archery only season but I didn't see it stated specifically that it would be legal on an general season hunt. However, I did conclude (as I think you did) that its implied that it would be legal.

Trying to dot my i's and cross t's for an upcoming bear hunt in SE Alaska where I'm planning on using the Garmin

icb12

FNG
@icb12
curious if the information you quoted above was verified by a directly by a AF&G official? I did look up the 2021 Hunting regulations and I do interpret that the Garmin site would be illegal on an archery only season but I didn't see it stated specifically that it would be legal on an general season hunt. However, I did conclude (as I think you did) that its implied that it would be legal.

Trying to dot my i's and cross t's for an upcoming bear hunt in SE Alaska where I'm planning on using the Garmin
Yes, that response is directly from a ADFG official, verbatim.
I've had pretty prompt responses from them. My rec would be to shoot them an email and verify for yourself, then just keep the email with you with your license if you get questions.