Gear giveaway sponsored by SKRE Extreme Mountain Gear

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey everyone Rokslide and SKRE Extreme Mountain Gear have teamed up once again to bring the Rokslide membership an exciting opportunity to win some amazing SKRE Gear. Winners will be drawn randomly from the list of contributors on May 1st.

SKRE Extreme Mountain Gear is interested in what everyone's favorite layering pieces are and how those pieces are used within your clothing system.

Doesn't matter if you mix and match, or just use pieces from a single company,
SKRE Gear wants to hear all about it. There are two ways to enter 1. a photo with your clothing system laid out and a brief description of each layer gets two entries into the drawing 2. a video entry less than 3 minutes showing you wearing your clothing system and detailing each layer . The video must be hosted elsewhere like Youtube and linked (Ctrl+K) in your post, just follow my example in the post below. The added effort for posting a video will more than double your return and get you five entries in the drawing.

All winners can receive a Kiabab 170 mernio wool top 1583471096634.png and Kaibab 170 merino wool bottom 1583471250896.png.
The Kiabab 170 series merino wool was designed as a mid-weight base layer using 17.5 micron superfine merino wool. The result is a soft, supple next to skin layer that provides excellent moisture management as you sweat out those long tough days afield. Whether your grinding out a steep arduous accent, or glassing from a windy ridge top, the Kaibab top and bottom will provide you the warmth, comfort and breathability you have come to expect from a stellar base layer.
Or winners can opt instead to receive the SKRE Swag Bundle 1583472064097.png.

As a bonus for using SKRE gear in any entries and cross posting to the SKRE Gear 2020 New product releases and member reviews you will receive an additional two entries in the drawing.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are examples of each type of entry
The photo entry--1583472915557.png
Here is my tree stand clothing system from last November. Top outside working in-Hardscrabble jacket,ptarmigan puffy, Hardscrabble vest, kaibab 300 hoody, kaibab 170 top, Bottom outer layer working in Kodiak pant, kaibab 300, kaibab 170. Temps were low double digits to low 30's

Here's the video entry example - click>>Layering Video example

Remember that you have to host outside Rokslide and link it back to the thread holding the Control and K keys simultaneously or by clicking the link icon above the comment box

4020705e3d85c425b5293ca86107f823.jpg

Last edited:
My November Missouri Layer system includes the following from outer layer inward: Sitka Fanatic lite jacket, Sitka timberline jacket to block the wind, SKRE mad trapper hoodie when temps drop, and SKRE 170 kaibab. Sitka fanatic lite bibs, SKRE 170 kaibab.
Temps generally upper 20’s to mid 40’s. CA4D6AC9-9E50-4BE2-85DE-57C6F118BC26.jpeg

This system is for a November rifle hunt in western Montana. Likely in the teens or twenties snow on the ground with some wind. I typically day hunt dark to dark but this could be an overnight as well. My day starts with a 1500-2000 ft vertical climb in the dark then slowly working uphill from there for another 1000-1500 feet and taking a few side ridges down then back up.
Bottom: Kuiu peloton 97 zip off, Kuiu guide pants, SG Grumman puffy pants, bridgedale coolmax liner socks and Gore merino socks over those with uninsulated boots and Kuiu Yukon gaiters.
Top: Kuiu peloton 118 or sitka core lightweight both short sleeve (wear one pack one), Kuiu peloton 240, Kuiu kenai ultra vest, Kuiu axis jacket, Kryptek Ghar puffy (this was the SKRE Ptarmigan up after the 2019 season), Russell L4 Lightning primaloft puffy (this fits over everything)
Others: ball cap, SKRE Deadfall gloves, Burton leather insulated gloves, Kuiu Peloton 240 beanie

To start the day I would only have the guide pants on the bottom and packing the peloton 97 bottoms for the big push in. On top I would have the short sleeve synthetic and the peloton 240. SKRE gloves and ball cap.
About daylight of just before I stop and take off the short sleeve since its soaked and put on the other ss synthetic tee then the 240 back over, and either the kenai vest or axis jacket, could be both temperature dependent.
If its too cold for the SKRE gloves I'll pull out the burtons with hand warmers already in them and put on my 240 beanie.
Start moving again and then I'll stop to eat or watch some productive hillsides and throw on the Grumman pants and both puffies on top throughout the day.

Up until this year I was using the SKRE Ptarmigan in place of the Ghar and just didn't feel like I got the warmth I should from a jacket with 5 oz of down. Jacket could have been slightly large on me or maybe I just run cold. The Ghar allows me to have a slightly tighter fit and no hood so I can wear it under the Axis. Also switched away from the Jetstream jacket to the Axis jacket this year because I like the Hybrid design with waterproof panels in areas prone to external moisture and I feel the axis breathes a little better keeping my dryer and also doesn't appear to give up anything in wind blocking capabilities (at least that I've notices so far).

Favorite pieces are the Peloton 240 which is almost always on me and if not its in my pack, Burton insulated gloves, and Gore socks. The Peloton 240 takes the absolute favorite by a long shot because it blocks light wind (under 5-7 mph range) 100%, breathes extremely well and is just plain comfortable.

Possible changes still coming would be a set of down mittens instead of the burtons because they are heavy. SG Helio bottoms because the Peloton 97 are just a hair short and the bottom sits right at the largest point of my calves and usually will slowly work their way up until bunched below my knees. Kuiu 145 merino doesn't do this to me so those bottoms must be an inch or two longer but the 97 is way warmer.

IMG_3532 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3533 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3534 (Medium).JPG

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This system is for a November rifle hunt in western Montana. Likely in the teens or twenties snow on the ground with some wind. I typically day hunt dark to dark but this could be an overnight as well. My day starts with a 1500-2000 ft vertical climb in the dark then slowly working uphill from there for another 1000-1500 feet and taking a few side ridges down then back up.
Bottom: Kuiu peloton 97 zip off, Kuiu guide pants, SG Grumman puffy pants, bridgedale coolmax liner socks and Gore merino socks over those with uninsulated boots and Kuiu Yukon gaiters.
Top: Kuiu peloton 118 or sitka core lightweight both short sleeve (wear one pack one), Kuiu peloton 240, Kuiu kenai ultra vest, Kuiu axis jacket, Kryptek Ghar puffy (this was the SKRE Ptarmigan up after the 2019 season), Russell L4 Lightning primaloft puffy (this fits over everything)
Others: ball cap, SKRE Deadfall gloves, Burton leather insulated gloves, Kuiu Peloton 240 beanie

To start the day I would only have the guide pants on the bottom and packing the peloton 97 bottoms for the big push in. On top I would have the short sleeve synthetic and the peloton 240. SKRE gloves and ball cap.
About daylight of just before I stop and take off the short sleeve since its soaked and put on the other ss synthetic tee then the 240 back over, and either the kenai vest or axis jacket, could be both temperature dependent.
If its too cold for the SKRE gloves I'll pull out the burtons with hand warmers already in them and put on my 240 beanie.
Start moving again and then I'll stop to eat or watch some productive hillsides and throw on the Grumman pants and both puffies on top throughout the day.

Up until this year I was using the SKRE Ptarmigan in place of the Ghar and just didn't feel like I got the warmth I should from a jacket with 5 oz of down. Jacket could have been slightly large on me or maybe I just run cold. The Ghar allows me to have a slightly tighter fit and no hood so I can wear it under the Axis. Also switched away from the Jetstream jacket to the Axis jacket this year because I like the Hybrid design with waterproof panels in areas prone to external moisture and I feel the axis breathes a little better keeping my dryer and also doesn't appear to give up anything in wind blocking capabilities (at least that I've notices so far).

Favorite pieces are the Peloton 240 which is almost always on me and if not its in my pack, Burton insulated gloves, and Gore socks. The Peloton 240 takes the absolute favorite by a long shot because it blocks light wind (under 5-7 mph range) 100%, breathes extremely well and is just plain comfortable.

Possible changes still coming would be a set of down mittens instead of the burtons because they are heavy. SG Helio bottoms because the Peloton 97 are just a hair short and the bottom sits right at the largest point of my calves and usually will slowly work their way up until bunched below my knees. Kuiu 145 merino doesn't do this to me so those bottoms must be an inch or two longer but the 97 is way warmer.

View attachment 162023
View attachment 162024
View attachment 162025
Excellent thank you for being very detailed. Good luck in the drawing

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

GregB

WKR
So working from the bottom up.
Hardscrabble pants, for a base layer I rotate between the alpine lite LS, wasatch top, or the llano. I’ll add a chama hoody and sawtooth for layers as needed. This will usually get me through September at 20-30 degrees. I’ll add the brooks sweater (2nd photo) in October as the temps drop. I included the hardscrabble jacket which I just received. My body temp seems to have a wide range based on if I’m active or stationary, so it seems like I’m always adding or dropping layers. My plan this year for September is to just use 1 base layer and the jacket, using the front and pit zips to manage my body temperature and only have 1 outer layer to deal with. Hopefully I can spend less time stopping to take off or put on multiple layers. Some other items I didn’t put in the picture, cabelas space rain top and bottom for rain or cutting the wind, a fleece beanie, merino glove liners, and rag wool glommits.
E6EC52B1-6318-4507-B859-623FDCA56697.jpeg
F191B305-C2FA-4DFC-9A8A-C1BC84C08D13.jpeg

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just reminding everyone about the awesome SKRE Gear giveaway happening now until May 1st.
This is something everyone can do even if your under STAY AT HOME orders. Come out and support our Rokslide sponsors.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Hardscrabble jacket and pants, the Wasatch shirt, and mad-trapper hoodie. . The proper gear keeps the hunt from becoming miserable. These four pieces are key to my gear set-up. My favorite piece is the Wasatch shirt. The softness of the inside makes it a very warm and comfortable shirt. We moved a lot out west and the gear kept me comfortable . One point I would like to make about the pants is the cargo pocket locations. Skre has the cargo pockets at the front of the legs. All others have them at the sides. The front pocket location makes it much easier to retrieve an item both while seated and standing. I use army surplus long-johns in both light weight and mid-weight. I only wear them if I plan on sitting in a tree stand. Otherwise the temps have to get down below 30 degrees for me to wear them.

9pExtqy.jpg

The past 4 years, I have been traveling out west to Idaho and Colorado to hunt elk. I have not killed an elk, but the hunts were very memorable. I am taking a break from traveling out west this year and will focus on whitetail deer here in Kentucky. This gear blends in surprisingly well with all environments I hunt in.

Here I am standing on a huge stump in Idaho
QhdjiZH.jpg

Davem6869

FNG
Skre.jpg

Ok so here is my Whitetail treestand system for both Upstate NY and North Carolina. Temps from 30+(I can get down to single digits if I use puffy pants and jacket)

I also used a version of this for my western elk hunt this past october(swapped out the Kodiak's for FL Corrugates) temps 10-35

Hardscrabble Jacket
Kodiak Pants
Firstlite Fuse tops and bottoms
Firstlite Sawtooth Hybrid Jacket

I have to say that I have never been a softshell fan. Just could never find a piece that wasnt stiff and just didnt like the feel, especially when layering. That being said, SKRE hit it out of the park!!! I love my softshell layers and always find a way to incorporate them in just about every hunt. Temps just got down to the 30's here for our Turkey season opener and this was my go to layer as well. 30's in the AM and 60's by the afternoon. The material is extremely durable(I have the firstlite Corrugate pants and these are better) and breathes extremely well. I have walked through brush and thorns and have had no pulls. The hip vents and pit zips are a LIFESAVER when hiking to my stand. The cut is perfect, I can wear my Fuse base layer, Sawtooth jacket and the Hardscrabble over top and still draw my bow back with no bunching and not uncomfortable in the least bit.

What really sold me is the level of customer service that SKRE provides. The ability to buy without fearing the exchange process to get the right sizing is one of my favorite things about the company. They are extremely responsive to emails and questions and I will probably end up with there entire collection before too long. When I first started researching higher end hunting clothing First lite, Kuiu and Sitka all came up. I wish I had found SKRE before I bought some of their other pieces because my entire kit would be SKRE and I would already own everything they have.

Dedicated customer for life. Looking forward to seeing what else you come out with!!!

For my layring for the first time this year I will be using my Skre Hardscrabble pant and jacket. Also I will be wearing my Hardscrabble gaitors also by Skre under that I will just be wearing just a sweatshirt. 20200328_163546.jpg
[
]

Last edited by a moderator:
My duck hunting layering system starts with UA 3.0 pants and 4.0 shirt, Sitka ascent pants then a pair of Coleman fleece lined pants and then Cabela's insulated waders if I'm gonna get wet, shirts I have a Drake lightweight button up shirt and then a Drake 1/4 zip jacket and if necessary I have a light down vest that does work really well I just have to make sure my blind is spot on being grey. Have a pair of thin real tree gloves and a huntsworth hat if necessary but usually just tucking into the blind I stay pretty warmKIMG0831.JPG

Very Cold Weather (Stationary non-active) - Cabelas Wooltimate Coat and Pants - heavy but wind proof and super warm, very quiet, light does not reflect off it so no shine
Smartwool top and bottoms - I love merino wool, I have several weights but use the thinnest ones mostly
Mountain Hardwear windproof fleece jacket - great for layering or wearing alone during a climb - pit zips are great. Thin enough to wear under outer layer
Cold weather layers.jpg

Cool weather or Active Cold Weather - SKRE Hardscrabble Jacket and Pants - Great softshell material, love the ventilation zips on the pants, very wind resistant
Smartwool bottoms
Icebreaker Merino top - heavier than my Smartwool so I take the Hardscrabble jacket off if warm or high activity with no wind.
Cool weather active layers.jpg

Warm weather clothing - SKRE Wasatch Crew top - very light and dries quickly
Cabelas Microtex pants - quiet as fleece but very tough material, dries very quickly
Warm weather layers.jpg

I hunt early to mid November in cold, snowy country. Early morning temperatures can be below 0 and reach low 40's by afternoon. I do a lot of spot and stalk hunting. I prefer not to have bulky clothes.

My base layer is Columbia Omni Heat long johns and wool socks. The middle layer is a Carhartt flannel shirt and vest. My outer layer is Skre Hardscrabble Pants and Jacket.

Attachments

• layer 1.jpg
    layer 1.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 8
  • layer 2.jpg
    layer 2.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 8
  • layer 3.jpg
    layer 3.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 8
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to let this run though out today for the last chance to get entered in the drawing

feanor

WKR
Thanks for the sponsor and opportunity!
My early season (bottom) fall bowhunting setup is smart wool light sock Kuiu Tiburon pants with First Lite Wick ls shirt, neck gaiter for blocking sun/ covering up face, and OR sun hat.

Late season (top) is smart wool heavy sock, The North Face base layer, First lite Wick, Montbell down jacket, and First Lite Corrugate jacket and pant. Add a beanie and gloves/mitten to the mix as well.

E6410B22-4F8D-4111-9AD2-BA2C8B3E7DCB.jpeg

CFF9DAA0-7205-4AED-9EF9-18B3BAE1A6D3.jpeg

SHoug07

FNG
September archery

Base layers: farm to feet socks, icebreaker merino briefs, icebreaker 175 top and bottom. If colder minus 33 mid weight top and bottom.
20200501_094902.jpg

Insulation: kuiu peloton zip off bottom and peloton full zip hoodie.
Outer layer: prana Zion pant and kuiu tiburon top.
20200501_095436.jpg

Washington rain gear: kuiu Yukon pant and gaiters, kuiu chugach jacket.
20200501_095224.jpg

If needed I will throw in a kuiu kenai jacket or I just picked up a kifaru lpp.20200501_095137.jpg

Attachments

• 20200501_094902.jpg
    20200501_094902.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200501_095436.jpg
    20200501_095436.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200501_095224.jpg
    20200501_095224.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200501_095015.jpg
    20200501_095015.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 10
I have no clothing system right now unfortunately. Does that count lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey sorry guys I haven't gotten with SKRE about the drawing yet. Planning to get it wrapped up by the end of the week.