Getting my new alpha x tomorrow

It came in! Planning on being at the shop bright and early. I’m providing my Hamskea drop away, and my Black Gold Rush sight from one of my old decommissioned bows and I’m taking a few of my arrows. The tech said he would get it roughly tuned and then have me shoot it to get it finished. He said I didn’t need to bring bare shafts just a couple fletched arrows. I’m new to this game of picking up a new bow at a pro shop as I’ve always bought mine online and set them up myself.

I opted for 55-65. I can shoot at 60-62 lbs all day long if I want or I can bump up to 65 (it will most likely max at 67-68) and shoot a little more if I feel the need. Anyhow I have some GT 340 hunters cut to 29” in 3 fletch that I’ve been shooting with my 61 lb Martin. After I ordered this Alpha X I bought a dozen Easton 6.5 match grade shafts in 300 spine cut to 29” and fletched them 4 fletch. Those arrows were bought/built specifically for my new bow. I couldn’t pass them up for $112/dozen which included cutting fees and tax. I’m wondering if I should take a couple of my 340s down? I mean if I decide to shoot this at 60 lbs all the time the 300 will be a little over spined. I know you can never be too stiff with a compound but those 340s sure tuned well and fly like darts out of my 60 lb Martin Onza.

If he tunes it to match my 300s and I decide to shoot 60 lbs and bump down to 340s, what’s the odds that I will have to tune all over again assuming the arrows are well within their spine parameters for what I have the bow set at?

Hoyt owners tell me if there is annything else I should pay attention to on the alpha x? I mean things to look for or ask questions about? I do my own work and own a bow press. For future string changes etc is the alpha x a bow that can lock up easily if the strings get out of spec? Coming from two 2012 Martins with Nitro cams, I am very familiar with binary cam systems.

JK47

FNG
Congrats! It’s an awesome bow.

I went with the Alpha X 30, 29” draw at 74 pounds. Sending a 465 grain arrow 286 fps. I added a wrist sling, 6” stabilizer out front and the stubby on the off quiver side. It balances really well.

I would say, watch your grip. Going to Hoyt from Bear, I was getting terrible paper tears. Took it to the pro shop and turns out my grip was torquing the bow. Looking up the string at full draw you could see the string coming off the cam at an angle. So I had to change my grip to suit the bow. After repetition it became natural.

Jon_G

WKR
Message this guy. I am extremely picky with what I put on my bow. After reading a lot of good reviews I decided to give his grips a try. I have an RX7 but your bow has the same grip and I hated it. I can't explain exactly why but my hand felt weird on the bow. As I was focusing on my shot my mind was more focused on my grip on the bow and my hand placement. I put on this grip from rattler grips and I never once felt like the grip was awkward. My hand placement felt more natural and that is what others have described. It's been about a year that I got my grip so hopefully he is still making them.

OP
fulldraw71
Congrats! It’s an awesome bow.

I went with the Alpha X 30, 29” draw at 74 pounds. Sending a 465 grain arrow 286 fps. I added a wrist sling, 6” stabilizer out front and the stubby on the off quiver side. It balances really well.

I would say, watch your grip. Going to Hoyt from Bear, I was getting terrible paper tears. Took it to the pro shop and turns out my grip was torquing the bow. Looking up the string at full draw you could see the string coming off the cam at an angle. So I had to change my grip to suit the bow. After repetition it became natural.
I was worried about my grip. I have good form and good grip but coming off a 2012 Martin they have that big flat backed leather wrapped grip and I was afraid this one would be narrower.

OP
fulldraw71
Message this guy. I am extremely picky with what I put on my bow. After reading a lot of good reviews I decided to give his grips a try. I have an RX7 but your bow has the same grip and I hated it. I can't explain exactly why but my hand felt weird on the bow. As I was focusing on my shot my mind was more focused on my grip on the bow and my hand placement. I put on this grip from rattler grips and I never once felt like the grip was awkward. My hand placement felt more natural and that is what others have described. It's been about a year that I got my grip so hopefully he is still making them.

I’ll check into it

JK47

FNG
I was worried about my grip. I have good form and good grip but coming off a 2012 Martin they have that big flat backed leather wrapped grip and I was afraid this one would be narrower.
I wouldn’t necessarily worry about it, but keep it in mind if you are shooting inconsistently or see the arrow kick out one way or the other on release.

The shop manager at the pro shop I go to shoots an Alpha X. He is the one that pointed out my grip. Not that I had a bad grip, I have good form and my shot process is solid and consistent, but he knew immediately it was my grip.

He said he fought his bow for a while. Shimming, twisting cables, moving the rest and then realized it was his grip on the bow. Altered his grip a little and bam! Shot great.

I’m fortunate and grateful for him passing that on to me. I would have chased my tail for who knows how long! I love the feel and angle of the Hoyt grip, I just had to learn how to gel with it. After shooting with my altered grip for a bit, I was busting arrows.

Attachments

• IMG_0295.jpeg
    IMG_0295.jpeg
    301.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0294.jpeg
    IMG_0294.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 4

Maxhunter

WKR
You’re going to like the new bow. I have an RX8 and it’s one of the best bows I’ve owned over the years. Post pictures when it’s all set up.

Yep Rattler grips are great.

OP
fulldraw71
I wouldn’t necessarily worry about it, but keep it in mind if you are shooting inconsistently or see the arrow kick out one way or the other on release.

The shop manager at the pro shop I go to shoots an Alpha X. He is the one that pointed out my grip. Not that I had a bad grip, I have good form and my shot process is solid and consistent, but he knew immediately it was my grip.

He said he fought his bow for a while. Shimming, twisting cables, moving the rest and then realized it was his grip on the bow. Altered his grip a little and bam! Shot great.

I’m fortunate and grateful for him passing that on to me. I would have chased my tail for who knows how long! I love the feel and angle of the Hoyt grip, I just had to learn how to gel with it. After shooting with my altered grip for a bit, I was busting arrows.
So tell me what you have to do different on the Hoyt grip? Currently, I just close my index finger and have my other three at an angle off to the side of my grip.

JK47

FNG
So tell me what you have to do different on the Hoyt grip? Currently, I just close my index finger and have my other three at an angle off to the side of my grip.
I held my Bear more in the web of my hand, between the thumb and hand. Closer to the hand than thumb.

My new grip is more towards the thumb. Less web, almost on the boney part of my thumb. And I angled my wrist a tad more so it’s straighter in line with my arm. Easily repeatable for me.

I can get the wife to take pictures of each grip later if you would like.

Guys that know wayyyy more about archery than me may read this and think I’m a complete goon….but it works for me. Hahaha

You may not have the first issue when you start shooting yours. I just wanted to post this, as this was my experience and I got help from a brother that had the same issues. Bow was tuned, everything was in line, just couldn’t get a clean tear to save my life. So I went to the shop and got educated.

But yeah, post up some pics of that bad boy!

OP
fulldraw71
I held my Bear more in the web of my hand, between the thumb and hand. Closer to the hand than thumb.

My new grip is more towards the thumb. Less web, almost on the boney part of my thumb. And I angled my wrist a tad more so it’s straighter in line with my arm. Easily repeatable for me.

I can get the wife to take pictures of each grip later if you would like.

Guys that know wayyyy more about archery than me may read this and think I’m a complete goon….but it works for me. Hahaha

You may not have the first issue when you start shooting yours. I just wanted to post this, as this was my experience and I got help from a brother that had the same issues. Bow was tuned, everything was in line, just couldn’t get a clean tear to save my life. So I went to the shop and got educated.

But yeah, post up some pics of that bad boy!
I had torquing issues and I copied my grip from a frontal picture of Tim Gillingham. It works well for me. IMG_6759.jpeg