Gitzo Mountaineer and Traveler vs other Tripods

Joelweb

FNG
Hi Everyone,

I've been enjoying this forum since I signed up this fall. I hunt mule deer more than anything else and I upgraded to a Vortex Razor 85mm this fall. I'm now looking to make a tripod purchase this winter.

It's pretty clear from reading old posts that there are a number of Slik, Promaster and Outdoorsmans tripod fans who use this forum.

Does anyone use a Gitzo Mountaineer or Traveler in Series 0 or 1? I know they cost a pretty penny, but I'd appreciate any real world comparisons to the above mentioned other brands?

I'm searching for what might be difficult to obtain: a lightweight and pack-able tripod that is stable in the wind. I understand that the Outdoorsmans are super stable, but I don't like their height/weight ratio. I hunted with a friend this fall who used the Promaster 525c. It was a nice tripod with great features, but it shook when the wind picked up and we had trouble sizing up a buck at a critical moment.

Would a Gitzo provide added wind stability over other carbon tripods, while doing better than the outdoorsmans in the height/weight ratio department? I don't want to spend the extra money, but I will consider finding a way if the benefits are truly there.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The Gitzo is best when it comes to stability imo. They are extremely expensive but if you want the best that's how it is I guess. I switched from Slik (which are great) to Gitzo and am very happy with it.

Clarktar

WKR
I run a GT and love it. But I have not compared to any other tripods. Bought it, it works great, so I haven't added any others. Found it on Craigslist for a song and dance!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bwana

WKR
I run a Carbon Slik with my optics, and always carry a hang bag with me...they are light and easily filled with rocks to about 4-6 pounds. The suspended weight low on the tripod solves all stability/wind issues...just dump the rocks when moving.

If your tripod isn't equipped with the center post hook, one can be bought in numerous sizes from BH Photo etc...

OP
Joelweb

Joelweb

FNG
I run a Carbon Slik with my optics, and always carry a hang bag with me...they are light and easily filled with rocks to about 4-6 pounds. The suspended weight low on the tripod solves all stability/wind issues...just dump the rocks when moving.

If your tripod isn't equipped with the center post hook, one can be bought in numerous sizes from BH Photo etc...

Thanks. I'm sure the center post hook helps, but is it a replacement for increased rigidity in the legs?

OP
Joelweb

Joelweb

FNG
The Gitzo is best when it comes to stability imo. They are extremely expensive but if you want the best that's how it is I guess. I switched from Slik (which are great) to Gitzo and am very happy with it.

Thanks, Justin. What do you like about the Gitzo that the Slik didn't provide?

Bwana

WKR
Thanks. I'm sure the center post hook helps, but is it a replacement for increased rigidity in the legs?

4 or 5 pounds added to the low center of mass, makes a huge difference in any tripod. All of the mfg's make different grades of tripods, it really comes down to quality, adjustment types, height, etc... Personally I think the Gitzo's are over priced for what you get, there are many other great models available. For professional grade photography, where weight and mobility isn't that critical the Gitzo is a great product...but not necessarily providing anything others don't do for less money/weight.

At the end of the day, most of the tripods function comes down to the head quality...and that's another beast in itself weight/price wise.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Justin. What do you like about the Gitzo that the Slik didn't provide?

I have this Gitzo. Access Denied

For me the difference is the stability and the "feel" when I use it. The best way I can describe it is that it's like when I buy tools. The Craftsman ratchet has a great warranty and works just fine, but in my hand the Snap-On feels better and the clicks are more precise and crisp. Both do the same job but if I'm using it a lot I tend to go with the one I like using better. Hopefully that makes sense?

Jimss

WKR
Top of the line tripods generally have a load capacity ratings. That's one of the reasons I bought the GTO531. I believe it's load capacity is 11 lbs. It also extends high enough so it's possible to sit comfortably and glass for hours. I REALLY like how quick it is for setup and breaking down. I can twist the leg locks and have it set up super quick. I've owned 6 or 7 tripods over the years and don't expect to ever buy another one. Obviously you get what you pay for! Gitzo has a great reputation with lifetime warrantees. I've used and abused mine on many sheep, goat, elk, etc hunts with 0 problems. Take a look at the Gitzo website and compare the different load capacity ratings, minimum and maximum length, weight, etc. Remember that it can be an advantage to have a short, compact tripod for putting in a pack or travel baggage but it takes a little more time and work to compress and expand.

Bwana

WKR
And once again, the head is where the real value is located...whether you choose a ball style head, or a video fluid head will dictate it's ease of use and ability to scan/pan/digiscope.

R_burg

WKR

Agreed with all this. For how a tripod is used for glassing, a high end tripod that has a great max load is not necessary. When its windy throw 5 lbs on the hook. We are sitting, so rarely is the tripod fully extended and a big spotter weighs, what, ~4 lbs or less, depending on brand.

This is not like having a pro level camera with a 600mm birding lens and a Wimberley mount... That mount weighs as much as a spotting scope by itself, the entire setup is probably 14-15 lbs, the lens sticks out 20", and any shake at all will ruin your shot or have your IS working overtime which is a real PITA with a 600mm lens and a moving target.

Sorry, I degress. My point is I just decided to buy a new tripod and reading through threads for research, its seems like a lot of people are treating them like they need specs that are relevant for a heavy photography setup with a fully extended tripod, and not a bino or spotter while sitting the majority of time.