No compromise tripod (glassing and shooting) for cheap!

eric1115

WKR
Click bait title? Yes, probably. But I've been absolutely loving this setup. I've also not seen anyone else using this combination (and very little on either one, closest I've seen someone using is a wiser precision or the new RRS pan/tilt on an anvil)

A few years ago I picked up a leofoto 324CEX with the integrated compact leveling base, and really been pleased with it for shooting. It's more stable than anything else in its weight class that I have used (no RRS experience, but slik, feisol, manfrotto, etc ranging from 2lb glassing tripods to 6 lb 36mm leg with 55mm ball head). I've shot deer at 400 yards standing, rock chucks at 200 standing easily, and 800+ on vital size steel from seated.

I never loved it for glassing, but tolerated it as the leveling base actually works pretty smoothly. This year I picked up a SmallRig compact pan/tilt and mounted an arca plate to the bottom. Cut the handle down and removed the big rubber grip. It lives on the tripod now, only comes off to take a shot. 1,000% improved glassing experience, both binos and spotting scope. Way better than any ball head I've used, nearly VA5 quality (though it's been a while since I owned one, so I don't have a very sharp reference point to compare them). It's not the lightest option, around 1/2 lb I think. I'll try to remember to weigh it. There are lighter ones out there, but this little guy is amazing for the money. It's only $50, I got it on sale for $40.

I now have a 4.25 lb setup that lets me shoot very effectively, goes to standing height for glassing and shooting, and in my opinion is better for glassing than any ball head I'm aware of. I'm under $500 on the whole setup. The leveling base makes the panhead so nice to use, compared to standard tripods and trying to get the head close to level by adjusting legs. With this setup, I just get it somewhere kind of close and then do a quick adjustment on the leveling base and I'm all set.

I like to do things quirky sometimes, and it does not always work as well as I hope. This one though has panned out extremely well.

Attachments

• PXL_20230929_190020195.jpg
    PXL_20230929_190020195.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 174
  • PXL_20230929_185836244.jpg
    PXL_20230929_185836244.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 161
  • PXL_20230929_185819845.jpg
    PXL_20230929_185819845.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 160
  • PXL_20230929_185713859.jpg
    PXL_20230929_185713859.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Outwest

WKR
I have been looking into doing this exact thing with a LF 284CEX.

Have you considered bypassing the arca clamp and shooting straight off the head attached to the leveling base? Any cons to doing it that way? That’s what I had envisioned but I like your setup a lot too.

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
I have been looking into doing this exact thing with a LF 284CEX.

Have you considered bypassing the arca clamp and shooting straight off the head attached to the leveling base? Any cons to doing it that way? That’s what I had envisioned but I like your setup a lot too.
Huge increase in stability putting the clamp on the leveling base. I don't know how exactly to quantify it, I'd say wobble zone for me is .5-.75 MOA seated unsupported in this configuration. I haven't shot off the panhead but if I had to guess, probably 1.5 or more?

If you're just glassing, no reason to put the panhead on a plate. If you're shooting also, every reason to put it on a plate.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing your build. Came across this as I'm interested in doing similar for a smallrig tripod for shooting / glassing. I'm sure your leofoto is way better quality/robust. Glad to see you like the smallrig panhead, you might have sold me on that. Also like to see your feedback on shooting from leveling base vs head. What caliber are you shooting from this? Looks like you are shooting a brake so you have lightened your recoil. Do you think that helps?

Only additional thought: Noticed on your binos you don't have aziak binoclamp for that, might save yet another little few oz/ time to clamp that on vs the diopter connection thing you have to attach to binos