Glock 20 modifications for backcountry carry

lots of great info here so far... My G20 is stock other than Trijicon HDs.

For a Gen 4 G20 what are people using for a guide rod adn heavier springs? I'm not seeing an aftermarket option with a Gen 4 style rod and heavier springs. What am I missing?

See post 16. Call/email Jentra. Using the replacable Wolff springs let's you choose what weight springs you want for a given application in a few seconds. I'll run a 20 lb spring for comps using the G40 (good way to stay handy with it) and 180g bullets doing 1300 and use the 22lb Wolff springs for the heavier 'bear' loads pushing either the 200g DT or 200g Hornady XTP at nearly 1400fps.

See post 16. Call/email Jentra. Using the replacable Wolff springs let's you choose what weight springs you want for a given application in a few seconds. I'll run a 20 lb spring for comps using the G40 (good way to stay handy with it) and 180g bullets doing 1300 and use the 22lb Wolff springs for the heavier 'bear' loads pushing either the 200g DT or 200g Hornady XTP at nearly 1400fps.

I read right past that because I didn't recognize "Jentra". I'll give them a call, THANKS, I would really like to be able to try the heavier springs. I have the stuff to put my magnetospeed sporter on the glock to look at velocity spread of my heavier loads. Appreciate the lead. I'm surprised that more places don't offer them.

Running a G40.

-Ameriglo Pro-Glo night sites: https://ameriglo.com/collections/glock/products/glock-pro-glo-combination-sets

-KKM barrel

-Inforce APLc light

-Multi holsters OWB holster modified to take a Blackhawk CQC paddle (lets me switch between pack and pants).

-Jentra rod guide kit with applicable Wollf recoil springs depending on ammo used

-Jentra plug (helps seal up that big hole in the bottom of the grip to keep debris out that might cause a malfuntion)

-Hogue grip

-running 200g DoubleTap hardcast at nearly 1400 fps. That DT hardcast is specifically made for the 10mm case...

Any nightsights I purchase from here on out will be ameriglo because of their incredible customer service.

I’m not really into heavily modifying Glock 20s, I have 3 of them and love them. I have 2 gen4 and one gen3.

All of mine have KKM barrels and trijicon night sights. When I put aftermarket triggers in glocks, I use triggers from Glock triggers dot com because they are built with stock parts that have been polished up. I like the idea of using stock parts.

I’ve never bothered with grip plugs or anything like that.

Sights and a comfortable holster are the most important things. Everything else is preference. I went trijicon and guides choice. Now its milled with an rmr so i went with a kenai. Guides choice is more comfortable as a holster riding on your gut but the wider straps of the kenai are better over long days. Got a new guide rod and spring on the way. Ill reserve judgement on that.
The gun will work no matter what in a pinch, the end result hinges on you. Practice is more important than anything in the end.

After shooting the G20 10mm today I'm considering getting one. Seeing how popular they are here I figured this might be a good spot to get ideas on what modifications I might want and what the total cost would end up being. I'm new to Glock so I don't have any knowledge on what Generation is better or any of that.

I really don't have any complaints with the factory gun except after looking on Gunbroker I didn't see much for factory offerings with night sights. I would definitely like to have tritium sights if I go with a semi-auto. What tritium sights do people like best?

Also I see debate over using the hard cast loads in the factory barrel. If I get a new barrel what brand/length do people like best for the 10mm? I will probably practice some with lighter loads, but the primary purpose of this gun is to shoot hot loaded cast bullets for big 4 legged critters.

Any trigger mods or other things I should consider? The stock trigger on the one I tried (Gen 4) fine. I still am a trigger snob and don't mind improving one if I can do it without sacrificing reliability. Reliability is most important on this gun.

While we are at it what holsters are everyone's favorites? I'll likely end up with a hip holster and a chest rig or bino harness attached one.

I'll likely pack it on western scouting trips and AK hunting trips. If I'm hunting in bear country out west I'll have my 300 win mag and probably won't also pack the pistol. I might take it packing meat though. It will also probably go fishing and camping with me on the shallow sandy river I catfish on. I've been packing a Ruger P97 in 45 but if I get a 10mm with night sights I'll likely take it instead.

Thanks for your help.

Ameriglo Pro Glo .120 width front sight and ameriglo plain black rears. I have both orange and yellow fronts and prefer the yellow.

I have no problems with moly coated lead bullets out of my stock G40 barrel. I’m over 20k rounds with my practice gun with a 200 grain lead bullet traveling over 1220 FPS. The key is to have correctly sized bullets. 0.401” works really well in my collection of Gen 4 G20’s and G40’s.

My woods load is a 200 gr. WFN going 1280 FPS moly coated lead. If you don’t reload look at Underwood’s new moly coated stuff in 200 gr.

Leave the trigger alone.

Redhill Tactical competition style holster for hip carry. Razco bino harness chest holster or Kenai chest holster is really popular.

Any nightsights I purchase from here on out will be ameriglo because of their incredible customer service.

Yep. Good customer service Trijicon is (last I heard) the ones with some special license, or whatever, from the gov to deal with the radioactive lamps, so as I understand it, Trijicon somehow installs the lamps for Ameriglo. But that may have changed in the last year or so since I discussed it with someone at Ameriglo.

Have you had yours over a chronograph? When I was going over 1300 it required a 24# spring which wouldn't pick up from the mag. Backing off to 1250 solved it for me. If that did work, did you slow the timing down or any other mods?

If it comes with metal sights (or nite sites), I wouldn't change anything. The plastic sites, especially the front won't last long if you do a lot of shooting/training as they tend to fall off at the worst possible time. Spend the money instead on ammo and shoot it until you are comfortable with getting a shot off accurately in a second or two from a holster. If a bear decides to make you his lunch, you won't have a lot of time to get the gun into action.

Have you had yours over a chronograph? When I was going over 1300 it required a 24# spring which wouldn't pick up from the mag. Backing off to 1250 solved it for me. If that did work, did you slow the timing down or any other mods?

Yes, I chrono all my loads. Have some acquaintances that did exhaustive load work up with Blue Dot and 200g DT and were over 1400fps with 6” barrels. I’m using Longshot.

This is a G40, so might get a bit more ‘free’ velocity that G20 with 6” barrel. Ejection seemed more consistent with a 22lb spring than 24lb. But heavier, longer slide, etc than G20...might be comparing apples and oranges a bit.

lots of great info here so far... My G20 is stock other than Trijicon HDs.

For a Gen 4 G20 what are people using for a guide rod adn heavier springs? I'm not seeing an aftermarket option with a Gen 4 style rod and heavier springs. What am I missing?

I am running an ISMI stainless guiderod, can run it captured or not, with ISMI 22 lbs recoil spring. For get 4, will need an adapter, many companies make them, it's just a bushing that goes in the guide rod hole at front of slide. I went with Zevtech. I like this set up because can run it captured but if somehow screw came out or something happened, gun would still function uncaptured. You wouldn't notice until you took the gun down. All parts can be ordered on midway for about $40.

Yes, I chrono all my loads. Have some acquaintances that did exhaustive load work up with Blue Dot and 200g DT and were over 1400fps with 6” barrels. I’m using Longshot.

This is a G40, so might get a bit more ‘free’ velocity that G20 with 6” barrel. Ejection seemed more consistent with a 22lb spring than 24lb. But heavier, longer slide, etc than G20...might be comparing apples and oranges a bit.
That makes more sense now.

YOU BRING UP A GOOD POINT, I too run Longshot and have lots of blue dot experience in mine too....but it flashes bright, which could be disastrous in a darkness self defense situation.

I am running an ISMI stainless guiderod, can run it captured or not, with ISMI 22 lbs recoil spring. For get 4, will need an adapter, many companies make them, it's just a bushing that goes in the guide rod hole at front of slide. I went with Zevtech. I like this set up because can run it captured but if somehow screw came out or something happened, gun would still function uncaptured. You wouldn't notice until you took the gun down. All parts can be ordered on midway for about $40.

Thanks, I've been fixated in getting the gen 4 style spring, not realizing there are other options. The ISMI stuff seems well liked in my reading. Thanks again.

Gen 3 SF here. No problem with standard springs and buffalo bore. But just a few rounds to check.

Changed one part to lighten trigger just a touch. 4.5 lbs

Xs small dot. Love it in darker environments.

Laser max laser. Works well and with any holster.

I'm in the same boat OP...picking up a G20 soon.

Glock says no lead bullets. Buffalo bore says their lubed bullets are fine. Conflicting info? Well not really.....as there are ins and outs to any weapon.

Re 10mm; I think a guy needs to educate himself on the signs of lead fowling....and signs of overpressure....then adjust ammo and barrel accordingly.

I know a guy that still shoots his stock barrel. I know a bunch of others that have swapped for LW and KKM barrels and bumped to 22# spring. I think its all about learning the weapon...running a bunch of ammo through it...then decide your best strategy.

Trigger; I love those Apex triggers...but not for this. I would maybe put a lighter connector in there and just do the $.25 trigger job like my other Glocks- makes for a pretty good all around duty trigger. I like the fiber optic sights.

4) If you are going to shoot hard cast, you need to change the factory barrel. People that say you don't have shot hard cast a few times and nothing happened so must be good right? No, glock specifically says don't shoot hard cast for a reason. .
False. Old wives tale. Stock barrel shoots hardcast just fine. BTW, Glock says no such thing - ever, anywhere.

Get the grip wet, or put some lotion on your hand and see how secure the stock grip feels - you might want to add some strategically placed strips of skateboard tape (stair step tape at home Depot).

Last edited:
False. Old wives tale. Stock barrel shoots hardcast just fine. BTW, Glock says no such thing - ever, anywhere.

Get the grip wet, or put some lotion on your hand and see how secure the stock grip feels - you might want to add some strategically placed strips of skateboard tape (stair step tape at home Depot).

It appears Glock's official website would differ. I know there is much contention about shoot lead through their barrels, lead vs harcast, fowling rates, does it matter if you clean often or not, shoot jacketed after lead, if their barrels are a true Polygonal Barrel like Hks, etc. But all that didn't seem appropriate to get into.
He is asking for Glock modifications. The simplest answer is without knowing the ammo he is looking at, type/powder/pressures he will be getting into, how often he cleans his barrel, etc. getting an aftermarket barrel with better compatibility towards shooting lead isn't a bad idea.

Attachments

• IMG_5288.JPG
    IMG_5288.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 154
And if you want to reload, I would say especially at pressures the 10mm case can take, (sorry if this is mentioned above somewhere already...) the Glock chamber/barrel is a little hard on brass. I reload all my own, except for ammo specifically meant for self-defense from two legged critters, so the KKM was a logical step.

Back