GLONASS worth the extra money?

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
So.... Normally use a old compass and topo maps, recently been using my cell phone with offline topo maps as well. Decided to pony up for one of them fancy new shiny GPS units. That being said, plan on using it for hunting, motorcycling (on and offroad), in my UTV and occasionally for use in my truck around town, though most the time I use google maps on my phone (when I have service).

Had narrowed it down to 2 units, the Oregon 600 (found new for $300) and the Montana 600 (found a refurb for $360). Then realized the Montana 600 doesn't have GLONASS. I hunt in some super wooded areas, so not sure if its worth it or not, I know the Oregon does, and the newer Montana 610 does, but seems like those are $500. So is the GLONASS all its cracked up to be?

Also, the size and weight are attractive of the Oregon, but I heard for motorcycle use the USB connection (for all day power) will eventually break off or be hard on the GPS. Only real reason I am still looking at the Montana series is the cradle.

Thoughts or recommendations between these units?

In my opinion GLONASS is absolutely worth it. Very quick and reliable satellite connection. I used to have issues in some places I hunt with my old Oregon 450 and now with the Oregon 600 I haven't had a single issue.

In my opinion GLONASS is absolutely worth it. Very quick and reliable satellite connection. I used to have issues in some places I hunt with my old Oregon 450 and now with the Oregon 600 I haven't had a single issue.

I thought the 600/650 was the older model that didnt have GLONASS and the 610/680 got the newer chipset with GLONASS....

GLONASS will certainly be worth it at higher latitudes like AK and Canada. For everyone else it's more of a 2 is better than 1 kind of solution. It doesn't do anything new or better, it was just designed to work better at higher latitudes due to the orbits chosen. Also, when down in deep canyons it will make a big difference. You need multiple sats to get a fix and the deeper/steeper the canyon the less likely multiple sats will be in view. If you add a second constellation, now there are twice the sats and you are twice as likely to get a good fix. I will leave the worth it or not up to you because it depends on how you use it.

Real world tests/comparisons: http://electronicdesign.com/test-amp-measurement/real-world-drive-tests-declare-verdict-gpsglonass

On my Garmin Fenix 3 it takes roughly 30 sec to pair. Crazy fast and haven't lost connection even in big cliff canyons in Western CO. I'll be upgrading my handheld gps with it at some point.

GLONASS is the Russian version of our gps system, so systems using the glonass satellites have more sats to pinpoint locations to....is it better than standard, yup,...is it worth it, that's up to you & where you hunt

Thanks for the info. Ended up finding a Montana 610 brand new in box for $350.. ordered it and the cradle for the motorcycle and will use it for hunting... Now just trying to figure out how to use Bascamp...

Back