Glue in 4mm (.166) broadheads (Evolution, Iron WIll, Thrive, Thorn)

nphunter

WKR
Well after dropping 4mm with the lack of support for deep six and quality heads a few years back, Pre-IW, I decided to jump back in with all the new glue-in options. I decided to go with Evolution Hyde/Jekyll, I just got back from a trip and saw that Thrive just released a pretty awesome glue in mechanical with screw-on weights so you can go from 100gr to as heavy of a head as you want.

I received the Evolution heads and glue in field points and they are very well made and all weighed within less than a grain from each other and the collars were all within .2 of a grain. I decided to go with that 10gr aluminum collars but they also make a heavier SS collar as well. I'm pretty excited about this setup, I've always loved shooting 4mm shafts and ended up getting a good deal on some pro comps to use these heads in. Hopefully, I will be putting one through a deer in Idaho in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully, others follow suit with the glue in their heads, the convenience of glue in the head is awesome, I shot them yesterday in some pretty cold tough-pulling targets and they did great. The glue in makes building arrows a breeze, I literally built the arrows yesterday morning from bare shafts and was out shooting them within a couple of hours.

Curious how many others will be jumping back over to 4mm now that companies are starting to build some quality head options for them.

0139B774-0D48-4747-8F42-3C929FFEF2DC.jpeg

F3882647-C4D9-406B-BE18-1BCE881F7128.jpeg

7BDFD9EA-BC24-4836-9737-06B5670A9A59.jpeg
99F51399-9A0A-47DB-B384-F371E89A0597.png

Last edited:

CMF

WKR
I want to try some VAP SS 4mm, but I want more options than I can get with deep six and rather a threaded option than gluing. I'm thinking If I go with Ethics or day 6 I can get a durable setup with standard threads?

Zac

WKR
No one will ever run back to 4mms. The glue in component’s will never be mainstream, and will always be overpriced.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
No one will ever run back to 4mms. The glue in component’s will never be mainstream, and will always be overpriced.

I did just that, I shot a/c injections for years and they were the best shooting arrows I’ve ever owned. When expandable heads became legal in OR I wanted to start using them and at that time there were really no good options for expandables with D6 threads. If there were I’d have never went away from 4mm. I’m very happy I switched to expandables, my blood trails have gotten way better and my confidence is through the roof. Now that I can buy high quality expandables for 4mm shafts I can have both.

I just bought 6 glue in evolution broadheads, they come with collars and I purchased 6 field tips as well as a set of replacement blades. The total was $259, I could have saved like $40 bucks if I’d have purchased off brand glue in field points online. This is all I need to build a great set of arrows and IMO not crazy expensive but more expensive than some.

My current arrow have Iron Will HIT’s and collars and I sold my IW broadheads. If I ordered the same order from IW, 6 heads, inserts, collars and 6 field tips it would cost $469 to build a dozen arrows. People buy Iron Will components like hotcakes. I’ve owned both and the evolution stuff is just as high of quality as iron will.

These pro comps with evolution are costing me quite a bit less than the RIP TKO’s I’ve been shooting. Obviously myself and others can build arrows for less using stock inserts and poorer quality arrow and still have a great hunting arrow. But a lot of people like building nice arrows and IMO there is defiantly a healthy market for the glue in 4mm stuff. In my experience the 4mm shafts are stronger and more consistent than larger shafts, the only downfall has been the broadhead options. 4mm have ruled the target side of archery for years. Now that good quality durable broadheads are being produced there really is no downside to shooting a 4mm shaft.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
I did just that, I shot a/c injections for years and they were the best shooting arrows I’ve ever owned. When expandable heads became legal in OR I wanted to start using them and at that time there were really no good options for expandables with D6 threads. If there were I’d have never went away from 4mm. I’m very happy I switched to expandables, my blood trails have gotten way better and my confidence is through the roof. Now that I can buy high quality expandables for 4mm shafts I can have both.

I just bought 6 glue in evolution broadheads, they come with collars and I purchased 6 field tips as well as a set of replacement blades. The total was $259, I could have saved like $40 bucks if I’d have purchased off brand glue in field points online. This is all I need to build a great set of arrows and IMO not crazy expensive but more expensive than some.

My current arrow have Iron Will HIT’s and collars and I sold my IW broadheads. If I ordered the same order from IW, 6 heads, inserts, collars and 6 field tips it would cost $469 to build a dozen arrows. People buy Iron Will components like hotcakes. I’ve owned both and the evolution stuff is just as high of quality as iron will.

These pro comps with evolution are costing me quite a bit less than the RIP TKO’s I’ve been shooting. Obviously myself and others can build arrows for less using stock inserts and poorer quality arrow and still have a great hunting arrow. But a lot of people like building nice arrows and IMO there is defiantly a healthy market for the glue in 4mm stuff. In my experience the 4mm shafts are stronger and more consistent than larger shafts, the only downfall has been the broadhead options. 4mm have ruled the target side of archery for years. Now that good quality durable broadheads are being produced there really is no downside to shooting a 4mm shaft.
Your question in the thread was inquiring if people would be going back to 4mm now that a few manufacturers are making glue in options. I’d say the post count for this thread should mirror the excitement level.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Got some arrows finished up with broadheads and new better hotmelt. I really am liking the hotmelt install and removal of the field points as well. Super quick and easy to remove. I won’t have to deal with them coming loose either which has always annoyed the heck out of me.

I’m headed out on a mule deer hunt Thursday and hopefully can put one through a buck and see how these broadheads perform.

D07129B4-CE11-4E30-90C0-836AD12B1FA2.jpeg

23339C88-2DBD-4684-8C86-3B58D13B3E83.jpeg

three5x5s

WKR
Got some arrows finished up with broadheads and new better hotmelt. I really am liking the hotmelt install and removal of the field points as well. Super quick and easy to remove. I won’t have to deal with them coming loose either which has always annoyed the heck out of me.

I’m headed out on a mule deer hunt Thursday and hopefully can put one through a buck and see how these broadheads perform.

View attachment 624205

View attachment 624207
Well did you get a leg shot on a Muley with this set up? Asking for a friend. Was the "collar"..... I mean blood trail easy to follow.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Well did you get a leg shot on a Muley with this set up? Asking for a friend. Was the "collar"..... I mean blood trail easy to follow.
I don’t get your question? I think your friend must be thinking or talking about someone else?

I didn’t see a big enough buck to go after in my hunt, it was way to warm and no snow up high to push them into the area I was in. I might be back but most likely not, I’ve already hunted close to 50 days this fall and I don’t want to push my luck with the old lady going out of state again.

Last edited:

three5x5s

WKR
My apologies. I was trying to be cute and add in some of the AVB stuff. You answered my question. I was hoping you had positive results with the 4mm arrows. Im still shooting the A/C injection with D6 Exodus and would like to see the 4mm hand around

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
My apologies. I was trying to be cute and add in some of the AVB stuff. You answered my question. I was hoping you had positive results with the 4mm arrows. Im still shooting the A/C injection with D6 Exodus and would like to see the 4mm hand around

I’m sure they will do awesome, I shot A/C injexions for several years and they are awesome arrows. I really wanted to put one of these through a deer but not bad enough to shoot a dink forky.

I want a Glue in Grim Reaper or Sevr for My Black Eagle X Impacts .166., 250 spine.

Not available so I am Trying the Easton Titainium Half Out 4mm
They fit like a glove and I am using the blue boehinh cool melt and so dar so good. They weigh 55 grn. And with 100 grn broad head I get 13% FOC
I use a 4" wrap and AAE pro max or AAE max hunter vane.

I want a glue in head but for now this is working and can be easily chanhed.

dtrkyman

WKR
I like those collars, have a set of 4mm arrows still, Bloodsports. Good shafts but there ss half outs were not great!