Go in deep!

Ucsdryder

WKR
I was in a spot this weekend 3.5 miles from the truck. It was down in a bit of a hole and it would require hiking meat up to a trail, but then fairly easy from there. I wouldn’t have hesitated to kill a bull back there and will be going back in a week, but I’m not sure how much farther I’d want to kill a bull. I had 2 bulls going nuts down in a hole, I ended up leaving them. They were growling and grunting and if a bull ever sounded 350”, they were these two. It would be required a 1000 foot in 1/4 mile hike up, then 2.25 miles of steady incline to the truck, all solo. Getting the meat up that first 1/4 mile would have been an issue.

Am I just a little puss?

I see guys on here “I killed my bull 6.5 miles from the truck solo”. With a trip out for camp, you’re talking 50 miles-ish assuming 1 trip for camp and 3 trips for meat. On a mature bull that’s pushing 3 loads at 100lbs for about 20 miles, plus your 40 pound camp in an additional load. I don’t want to call BS but….

I was in a spot this weekend 3.5 miles from the truck. It was down in a bit of a hole and it would require hiking meat up to a trail, but then fairly easy from there. I wouldn’t have hesitated to kill a bull back there and will be going back in a week, but I’m not sure how much farther I’d want to kill a bull. I had 2 bulls going nuts down in a hole, I ended up leaving them. They were growling and grunting and if a bull ever sounded 350”, they were these two. It would be required a 1000 foot in 1/4 mile hike up, then 2.25 miles of steady incline to the truck, all solo. Getting the meat up that first 1/4 mile would have been an issue.

Am I just a little puss?

I see guys on here “I killed my bull 6.5 miles from the truck solo”. With a trip out for camp, you’re talking 50 miles-ish assuming 1 trip for camp and 3 trips for meat. On a mature bull that’s pushing 3 loads at 100lbs for about 20 miles, plus your 40 pound camp in an additional load. I don’t want to call BS but….
1/4 mile for 1000’ is like a 75% grade. Not far off from climbing stairs without the benefit of sure footing and handrails. That’s pretty daunting considering you’d probably have to do it 4-5 times.

Gerbdog

WKR
The biggest elk hunting stud i know sets his solo bull limit at 3-4 miles... and this guys a stud. Solo elk hunts only, hates having someone along and has a long trail of dead bulls to show for it.... at 3-4 miles he's pretty broken down getting it out solo and if its early September and its hot he HAS lost meat before.

No, i'd say your not a puss for it, know your limits so you dont injure yourself, waste meat, etc.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
1/4 mile for 1000’ is like a 75% grade. Not far off from climbing stairs without the benefit of sure footing and handrails. That’s pretty daunting considering you’d probably have to do it 4-5 times.
I just looked again, maybe I exaggerated a little. Hard to tell on onx but probably closer to 700 yards but that’s straight line too. Either way I looked over the edge, bugled and 2 bulls cut me off at the same time growling and chuckling…I said nope, and turned around. 😂

I grew up on horses, zero chance they could make it up the hill being led without a saddle, let alone ridden or packed if that helps describe it.

Jethro

WKR
Exchange inreach info with a bunch of the NR camped nearby. When you kill, text them. Maybe some will hike in to help you. 🤣

More seriously, no buds around that you can contact for help? Too much even for 1 trip per person?

svivian

WKR
I just looked again, maybe I exaggerated a little. Hard to tell on onx but probably closer to 700 yards but that’s straight line too. Either way I looked over the edge, bugled and 2 bulls cut me off at the same time growling and chuckling…I said nope, and turned around. 😂

I grew up on horses, zero chance they could make it up the hill being led without a saddle, let alone ridden or packed if that helps describe it.

Literally is identical to where I hunt OTC.... I've done it quite a few times solo and I try to do it in 3 trips max. Time of day and temperature determine if its reasonable though... I'm not losing meat for the sake of shooting something.

NMonit

FNG
Same thought scenario here. They're there. I know they'll be there, but going in solo into country where vehicles can't go and killing something so far in that I can't pack out in a reasonable timeframe just isn't ethical. Us solo hunters have to find the remote areas within reasonable truck distance, or be lucky enough to "phone a friend."

Wrench

WKR
I've done some no bs 8 mile loops in north Idaho where it can take 40 minutes to make 500 yards because you'll never actually touch the ground. I had a few great bulls going off around me but let them walk because it was simply unrealistic to get them out. If I had more than two guys or a helicopter...I'd do it. I literally had to use my hands and legs to climb out.

hobbes

WKR
I'm sure as heck not doing a mature bull in 3 trips solo. I'm not saying that I'm not dumb enough to try that grade out but unlikely that I'd put camp in that hole. Is there any way to hike out the bottom? I suppose you could use a rope and pulley set up to work a loaded sled or cart up the hill but I've never tried it. That'd be a long process.

I'd be looking for help from my sons. They'd both be pissed at me but they'd survive it better than me. :)

I'd likely face reality and not do it if I couldn't figure a better way out.

Kudos for being realistic (and smart) and not just getting excited and getting into a situation. I think a lot of those posts you read are full of it or looked at their OnX zig zag going in circles track and quote that mileage.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Don't ask questions that you don't really want to know the answer to. :ROFLMAO:

Just because someone kills an elk a long ways in, doesn't mean that their camp is back there too. So that could be one less trip. But even if my camp is back there, I always have a base camp as well. I can always go back in for camp after getting the elk out and then resting for a day too.

My longest packout for a bull, was a 300+ bull at just under 5 miles. But I did have some help show up for the packout. I always figure "if there's a will, there's a way". I'm stubborn.....I'll normally go after the bull no matter where he is, and then figure it out after he's down. I've never lost any meat.

Scoot

WKR
I shot a bull with a buddy when I was 6.5 miles from the truck. It was Sep, but relatively cool. With two of us, it was rough. Put on a ton of miles and it really broke me down. I was a decade younger then (about 40) and in very good shape at that time. Still kicked my ass. If I would have been solo, I'm sure I would have lost meat, even with the mild temps.

Sounds to me like you made a wise choice. But... I'm still not sure what I would have done in your shoes. I've got lots of years of schooling under my belt, but I'm still not all that bright. I would have probably dove in... But, I'm almost always with a buddy to, and that makes a world of difference.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I shot a bull with a buddy when I was 6.5 miles from the truck. It was Sep, but relatively cool. With two of us, it was rough. Put on a ton of miles and it really broke me down. I was a decade younger then (about 40) and in very good shape at that time. Still kicked my ass. If I would have been solo, I'm sure I would have lost meat, even with the mild temps.

Sounds to me like you made a wise choice. But... I'm still not sure what I would have done in your shoes. I've got lots of years of schooling under my belt, but I'm still not all that bright. I would have probably dove in... But, I'm almost always with a buddy to, and that makes a world of difference.
With a buddy I think it’s an easy decision. Cutting the loads in half plus having the additional motivation. Solo is a grind already, then add in a hell hole and multiple pack outs!