Goat Coats

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
Recently had the incredible good fortune to draw a goat tag in Eastern Oregon and although I have spent a good deal of time in goat country I realize I've not paid very close attention to their coat as it develops for winter.

The tag spans all of September and October and ostensibly the same timespan for the most drastic change in their pellage. Of course, in delaying the harvesting date, we add considerable risk to the hunt due to weather.

SO, to my question: what do you guys think the best risk-adjusted harvest date would be for a goat somewhere between 8k-9500'?

87TT

WKR
I have seen some shed out goats in the summer. I can say that mid to late Oct. they are looking pretty good.

shedhead

FNG
First part of October. I killed mine on the 13th of October in Idaho and he was furred out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THunt

FNG
What tag did you get? My son drew an Oregon goat tag this season and we're in the Eagle Cap. I think we're leaning toward 1st week of October.

tuffcity

WKR
This one is from Early October and the lower one (wife's goat) is from end of Aug. Both northern BC billies. Coats were really nice on both.

3DXeZio.jpg

qN0F4Oj.jpg

OP
TristanJH

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
What tag did you get? My son drew an Oregon goat tag this season and we're in the Eagle Cap. I think we're leaning toward 1st week of October.
I'll be in the Caps as well. I'll send a PM - love to hear how things go for you!

rooz1359

FNG
This was a mid-november Billie from SE BC.

View attachment 573819

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Amazing. My draw is in 3-16G. Do you have any experience in that area. I'm a new hunter and I know this is one of the hardest hunts but I feel like it is an opportunity I can not miss. I'm purchasing the Gears and trying to read and get as much as information I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated