Goat Coats

dapesche

WKR
Amazing. My draw is in 3-16G. Do you have any experience in that area. I'm a new hunter and I know this is one of the hardest hunts but I feel like it is an opportunity I can not miss. I'm purchasing the Gears and trying to read and get as much as information I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Looks like you have access out of the north via fsr and hiking trails. That'll help.

Spotter will be really useful. Goats are easy to spot so don't spend too much on binos. Would focus on spotters for IDing and aging.

Will be G bears in there. Be careful if solo.

Bring a friend on that adventure. If you're in the LML head up for a day hike with spotter and binos and try to get a read on where they are.

A big billie is heavy so it'll limit how 'deep' into that area you can go.

Hopefully you can convince a friend to come.

Looks like a freaking beauty spot to hunt in.

Bring a mule deer tag with you too.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

rooz1359

FNG
Looks like you have access out of the north via fsr and hiking trails. That'll help.

Spotter will be really useful. Goats are easy to spot so don't spend too much on binos. Would focus on spotters for IDing and aging.

Will be G bears in there. Be careful if solo.

Bring a friend on that adventure. If you're in the LML head up for a day hike with spotter and binos and try to get a read on where they are.

A big billie is heavy so it'll limit how 'deep' into that area you can go.

Hopefully you can convince a friend to come.

Looks like a freaking beauty spot to hunt in.

Bring a mule deer tag with you too.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Dapesche thank you so much for the feedback. I do live in the lower mainland and planning to make a trip to glass the area in the coming weeks. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. A friend of mine was telling me these mountains are very steep to hike and almost impossible. I know mountain hunt is not easy but I'm making myself physically and mentally prepared for a life time opportunity. Thank you for all the feedbacks

September 17th at 9,600 ft. He had nice hair but not like some of the Oct & Nov goats posted. If I was a rifle hunter I'd have started my hunt 2-3 weeks later. Good luck on your hunt.

3tNxob4.jpg

RyanS612

FNG
Colorado goat shot Oct 17 at 13k feet. Snowed a foot or two about a week later. Then it was in the 50’s and 60’s at the end of October. I think it’s going to depend on your access into the area and your typical weather. If you’re worried about spotting them in the snow more than access, I wouldn’t worry too much about that. It will be harder but not impossible. Look for trails in the snow as opposed to the goat and follow the trail both ways. One end of the trail will hopefully lead your eyes to a goat.9E63EF15-F8C7-44FB-9B79-49B6F205170F.jpeg

baeloth

FNG
September 17th at 9,600 ft. He had nice hair but not like some of the Oct & Nov goats posted. If I was a rifle hunter I'd have started my hunt 2-3 weeks later. Good luck on your hunt.

3tNxob4.jpg

3tNxob4.jpg
Nice Goat GreenNDark, I've got a Nanny Tag in G15, and I plan to use my longbow. What was your bow and arrow set up?

skeptic

FNG
I killed mine in mid Nov in MT. My plan was to go in October for my "main hunt". I started it the 10th. On the 13th we got about 3-4' of snow and I thought my hunt was over. Took a week or so for the snow to settle and I learned how to winter camp. The effort level was significantly more taxing with that much snow, but the end result was worth it. They were pretty haired up in October, but they are REALLY haired up in November!

If you can stomach it I would wait as long as possible.

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
In Northern Wyoming our goats start looking good to me around October 1. Sure they get better hair later, but I have also seen guys eat their tags because they waited too long and then couldn't get to the goats.

OP
TristanJH

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
Update: Billy down!

24ad27024f4c6f9ea77b514885755325.jpg

Harvest date: 9/24
Elevation: 8600

I have to assume that the coat is at least 75% of its full winter splendor.

With kids and other hunting seasons in the mix, my hunting partner and I stuck to the dates we had initially put on the calendar and wouldn’t you know it, those dates coincided with the first snow of the season. Every goat in the unit decided to head for lower ground the morning we started hunting. Luckily they left tracks to follow and we found what I presume to be my target Billy several miles from where he had been for at least the last 2 months. What a wild experience.

Couldn’t be more grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With kids and other hunting seasons in the mix, my hunting partner and I stuck to the dates we had initially put on the calendar and wouldn’t you know it, those dates coincided with the first snow of the season. Every goat in the unit decided to head for lower ground the morning we started hunting. Luckily they left tracks to follow and we found what I presume to be my target Billy several miles from where he had been for at least the last 2 months. What a wild experience.

Heck yeah.
I miss of missed my invite texts.

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider

Congratulations! Great looking goat.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider

Beauty!!! Nice job!

Beautiful goat and coat and country. Well done.