Going elk hunting in Pennsylvania!

OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice bull, I am curious how they taste compared to elk out west. Looks like he's been eating in some kind of field. Do elk eat the acorns back in PA like whitetail? There are lots around there.

Yesterday I cut up and roasted leg bones to make stock. One of the knuckles had a big hunk of meat on it. After they roasted a while I sliced up some of that meat of the knuckle and it was absolutely phenomenal. I’ve only eaten a western elk a couple times and it was a few years ago. So I can’t really give a side by side comparison.

This bull was killed in a farmers hayfield. I’m not sure what was planted in there, but whatever it was the elk wanted to be in there. It was hard to walk in that field without stepping on a pile of elk shit every step. It was insane. It looked like just a “normal” hay crop - orchard grass, fescue, Timothy grass. I didn’t notice any legumes (clover or alfalfa).

Our guide told us the elk absolutely hammer the acorns there. This was a concern of deer hunters when the elk were reintroduced, they were assured the elk don’t eat them. Well that proved false apparently. The elk also seem to have taste for whatever people have planted for landscaping too….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply, glad to hear it was as good as expected. I thought they would like the acorns and if I remember correctly, some years had much bigger acorns. There's so much food for them there. My family has a cabin in Renova so they are hoping the elk migrate over there someday so they can see them!

ddd122

FNG
Classified Approved
Nice bull my nephew had a late season cow tag in zone 12 this year also