Going Solo in 2015

TWP

FNG
It looks like I will be doing elk this year solo for the first time and with my recurve only. Didn't draw a darn thing (again) so thank goodness for OTC Colorado. I have hunted Eagles Nest Wilderness twice and killed two elk, but my brother just moved to Cortez, CO with his wife who just got her veterinarian degree. My question is, what does the Cortez, Rico and Durango area have concerning hunting pressure compared to central Colorado? I killed both of my elk within sight of Silverthorne, but never saw another human outside of the Trail Head.

I spoke with a ranger and biologist on the Durango area and they suggested Lizard Head Wilderness, but running that thing via Google Earth shows it is pretty small. Steep as heck, but small. Any suggestions or insights into SW Colorado?

Really looking forward to the adventure on the solo side, I think I will be a much better/patient hunter solo, the hike in and out will be the big deal. And the first legal animal will get an arrow flung it's way, this Trad archery brings a whole new meaning to "trophy hunting."

Hope everyone has a great season!!!!

TWP there is plenty of elbow room in SW colo even though it looks small on the map, you are right though it is steep and steeper down here. The real pressure is from all the hikers, bikers, dog walkers, photographers private property ect.. even way off grid anywhere around Durango. Farther north you go way better chance to be alone. Others might feel differently than me but i live here and travel for my hunting

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
So are your a recent convert to tradtional? I've done 4 solo elk hunts with my recurve lots of fun. My only exploits in CO have been in the NW part which hasn't been very sucessful so I'm looking at new OTCs areas too. Trouble is giving up the known for the unknown!

OP
T

TWP

FNG
No sir, I have been shooting trad for about 4 years, but only for whitetails in Texas. Haven't had the guts to try with elk, but I just sold my compound so I have no other options. Ha ha ha

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
No sir, I have been shooting trad for about 4 years, but only for whitetails in Texas. Haven't had the guts to try with elk, but I just sold my compound so I have no other options. Ha ha ha

Can't help you with CO but can tell you that was the right move to get rid of your compound. Taking away that crutch helped me immensely. I haven't touched one in over a decade. Nothing is more rewarding/satisfying than a stick bow kill.

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
A recurve isn't as much of a disadvantage as many think. In fact under 30 yards it might be an advantage as you can shoot a lot faster than a wheelie bow. Of course you have to get close and that is all the fun. Recurves are just as deadly on bigger game too, just use an arrow around 10 gpp that has a high FOC (use a 100 grn insert) with a good 100+ grn b-head like a Magnus Stinger. My 50# recurve has achieved full penetration of 2 caribou and every deer I’ve shot (sans one hit in the shoulder).

My avatar is proof, that's where I found my arrow after my first caribou!

Man I'm jealous! I've been hunting with recurves/longbows for several years. I've taken 3 whitetail in Arkansas with them. Really hope to start elk hunting with it. It's so hard not to switch to a compound, but yall give me a lot of inspiration!

OP
T

TWP

FNG
Yeah, I was shooting 3D this evening and busted a couple bucks in close. I swung on the biggest and "shot" him the instant he stopped to look at me. No way I could have done that with a compound. I will probably hunt dark timber this year anyway, should be nice to carry up high also.

OP
T

TWP

FNG
Headed out tomorrow to scout for this fall, gonna be a long drive but will have my buddy's place in Carbondale to base camp out of this year and this long weekend. I was thinking about NOT scouting and just going to fish the frying pan, but I guess I better get my shit together first, especially going solo.