Good factual documentary on wolves

Beendare

WKR
Link is to a new documentary with the facts and studies on how wolves affect the economy in Idaho/Montana. So much for the "Only killing the weak" line we were peddled when they were pushing for reintroduction.

No surprise but there are many unintended consequences with the reintroduction of wolves....a few of them documented here- good video.

Its worth the watch if you ride or hike the range with your dog. If you are one of those, "Awe its only a few lost livestock types"...these studies prove wolves have a much worse effect.

For those that don't like to click on links, Youtube vid; "Unforseen impacts caused by wolves in Idaho"

Enjoyed the video. Reminded me of something I learned in Ecology class back in school decades ago. "Everything is connected to everything"

PBS had a cool hour long show about wolves in the Frank. I believe it was called “river of no return”. Wasn’t totally centered on wolves but I thought it was cool

MtnOyster

WKR
Pretty good info Bruce, i’m Thankful we don’t have those mangy mutts over here, those things would cause a bunch of us southerners to break the law for sure .....(grin!)

Titan_Bow

WKR
Saw my first wild wolf this past week up north of Libby, Montana. I was sitting 125 yards downwind of a moose kill on an old logging road. There was fresh bear scat all along the road, so was hoping I’d get a shot at one as they fed up the road. Instead, a big lone wolf just materialized out of the forest and began tearing and snarling at what was left of the moose. At one point, he looked my way and seemed to make eye contact before slinking off into the forest. It was a really neat experience.
I’ve never been in the “kill them all” crowd on this issue, and don’t really understand why it’s become such a polarizing topic. If you say anything that resembles an interest or fascination in wolves, many instantly throw you into the bleeding heart pro-wolf camp.

I personally think states should have the right to manage wolves just like any other animal, and I feel there are places where they can and should exist.
I will say, these types of films, while interesting, are certainly not going to sway public opinion. It’s very much “preaching to the choir”. Nor is portraying wolves as blood thirsty demons out there killing for fun. We’ve got a marketing problem when it comes to issues like this. I really wish we could overcome that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I will say, these types of films, while interesting, are certainly not going to sway public opinion. It’s very much “preaching to the choir”. Nor is portraying wolves as blood thirsty demons out there killing for fun. We’ve got a marketing problem when it comes to issues like this. I really wish we could overcome that.

So you are saying facts and real world examples in this vid don't matter?

I'm accustomed to cutting through the main stream media propaganda to get to the facts. Of course this is slanted from a ranchers perspective-( PTSD-really?) but seems to me they are reporting factual info.

The economy matters. Wolves are such a pure emotion topic...I like seeing that offset with real world facts and figures.

You are probably right though, folks have made up their minds....and they aren't going to let facts get in the way /grin

2ski

WKR
FACT: Introducing wolves to Colorado is on the 2020 ballot
OPINION: It will pass
FACT: Due to the current and future voting public, hunter management of wolves will not exist in Colorado.
FACT: That's a bad idea
Wellllll, your last line is actually opinion. actually all but your first point is opinion. So when people say stuff like that, it actually weekends the argument to people on the opposite side. Honestly when I see people try to make the argument their opinions are fact I stop listening. Your third point may end up coming to fruition but its still an opinion.

sveltri

WKR
2ski, you really believe there is any possibility of hunters, non-government, having any role in wolf management in Colorado? That is a delusional thought. Please enlighten me and everyone how not allowing management of an introduced apex predator is a good idea.

2ski

WKR
2ski, you really believe there is any possibility of hunters, non-government, having any role in wolf management in Colorado? That is a delusional thought. Please enlighten me and everyone how not allowing management of an introduced apex predator is a good idea.
I'm not commenting on what will happen. All I'm commenting on is it's all opinions but one. Seriously. What you're saying may be the likeliest outcome but it's still opinion.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Okhotnik

WKR
I'm not commenting on what will happen. All I'm commenting on is it's all opinions but one. Seriously. What you're saying may be the likeliest outcome but it's still opinion.

A well -informed opinion

No management of wolves permitted in Michigan, Minnesota Wisconsin despite way over management objectives

No management of wolves permitted in Washington and Oregon and they are playing with management objectives

Anyone with an IQ above 60 knows once wolves are introduced into Colorado they will never be permitted to manage them

Say good bye first o your shiras moose then your mule deer, big horn sheep and elk

Amazing that anyone on here would support this but appears quite a few on here worship wolves over moose elk and mule deer

Not a peep from BHA on this of course

Okhotnik

WKR
Saw my first wild wolf this past week up north of Libby, Montana. I was sitting 125 yards downwind of a moose kill on an old logging road. There was fresh bear scat all along the road, so was hoping I’d get a shot at one as they fed up the road. Instead, a big lone wolf just materialized out of the forest and began tearing and snarling at what was left of the moose. At one point, he looked my way and seemed to make eye contact before slinking off into the forest. It was a really neat experience.
I’ve never been in the “kill them all” crowd on this issue, and don’t really understand why it’s become such a polarizing topic. If you say anything that resembles an interest or fascination in wolves, many instantly throw you into the bleeding heart pro-wolf camp.

I personally think states should have the right to manage wolves just like any other animal, and I feel there are places where they can and should exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you saw your first wolf and now are a wolf expert. How many wolves now do you have pleasure killing live stock and peoples dogs in Colorado?

Are you willing to be allowed to hunt elk and deer once every 5 to 7 years for your wolves?

Last edited:

2ski

WKR
A well -informed opinion

No management of wolves permitted in Michigan, Minnesota Wisconsin despite way over management objectives

No management of wolves permitted in Washington and Oregon and they are playing with management objectives

Anyone with an IQ above 60 knows once wolves are introduced into Colorado they will never be permitted to manage them

Say good bye first o your shiras moose then your mule deer, big horn sheep and elk

Amazing that anyone on here would support this but appears quite a few on here worship wolves over moose elk and mule deer

Not a peep from BHA on this of course
Show me where I worship wolves dude. All I did was say the dude, in the one post, was passing opinion off as fact. Whether it be well informed or not it's still opinion. And when people try to pass off opinion as fact it weakens the ground they stand on.

sveltri

WKR
Ok you got me, it was a fact based opinion. To believe there will be any other outcome is naive. You go ahead a believe them when they lie to your face and tell you hunters will be a factor in management. By then it will be too late, but at least you got the facts and fact based opinions sorted out.

I’m against wolf Management- but I support the cows!!!!

🎗🎗🎗🎗🎗🎗🎗🎗🎗🎗🎗🎗🎗🎗🎗

I think it’s wrong that the ranchers are allowed to just let their cow’s PTSD go untreated. For 1 thing it’s totally cruel and inhuman for the ranchers to allow that kind of suffering.

For another thing worried cows that aren’t eating well can result in nutritional deficiencies in the wolves which result in a need to supplement their diet in order to keep the wolves at peak health. Which is a cost we all must share- even those of us in urban environments who don’t get to enjoy wolves every day.