GPS help

sethroe

FNG
I need some help and some education on a good GPS. I'm in the process of buying gear for my first DIY backpack elk hunt in Colorado. I have never needed a GPS for the hunting I have done in South Dakota, so I'm looking for some guidance. What's a good quality GPS that won't break the bank, but have most of the desired features needed for backpack hunting? I want it to be capable to use a chip like HuntGPSmap to keep me in the correct unit and off private ground. So what do I need to know and what would you suggest? Thanks!

colonel00

WKR
My first question would be if you will be in an area where you might get cell service. Depending on the length of your trip, you could save a bunch of cash by just using your phone (assuming you have a smartphone with GPS).

jmez

WKR
Smart phone shouldn't need service to use GPS. That would run off of satellites like a regular handheld.

OP, what features are you interested in? That is where you need to start. Screen size, touch screen or no, camera in the unit etc. The etrex series are cheap, no frills and work really well. The Garmin Dakota has a touch screen and would likely do everything you need.

Lawnboi

WKR
My only advice is not to spend full price. GPS units can be had for half off retail if you shop around. Cabelas runs some good sales on gps units all the time.

Iv got an Garmin Oregon and it's keeping me happy.

If you do hunt SD as well they have an awesome gps atlas for free if you hunt public land.

OP
S

sethroe

FNG
Is there a certain app that is needed for for using the my IPhone as a GPS? Is battery life a big concern for a 5-7 day hunt? Is there any big negatives with only using a smartphone?

I have access to an old etrex that I have never really used, but it is probably 15 yrs old. So, if I do a GPS, I would like to update to a nicer one, probably touch screen and easy to use...

I'm not a real techy guy so I use the plain old ETrex. No maps, Just tell me where I am, where my kill is, & where camp/the truck is.
I do like the look of the HUNTGPSmaps though so I may rethink it.

kodiakfly

WKR
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are smart phones true GPS units? My understanding what that they triangulate off cell towers, and I've never seen my iphone acquire sats...I'd never rely on a cell phone for true backcountry navigation. Between cell service and battery life...just buy a bona fide GPS.

I have a Garmin Oregeon 450T and I love it. Like has been said, shop around and compare units closely. Some units have so much crap on them that you may or may not need...and thus may or may not need to pay for. That's why I went with the 450T...the next units up had cameras and stuff on them I don't want on my GPS.

wapitibob

WKR
phones use assisted GPS. Towers when available, satellite only otherwise.

My advise is to wait a month or two. Word on the street is some new stuff coming from Garmin. They added Andriod OS to a unit last year...

In airplane mode with gps on, your phone should only ping satellites for location. I used my gs4 last year with Trimble gps hunt pro, and downloaded maps of the area before I left. Worked as well as my buddy's Garmin, plus I used it as a camera, mp3 player, etc. Probably not as accurate as a true GPS unit, but I didn't want to carry one more thing, and I liked the versatility of the phone. Also, there was zero reception where I was at, so it was not even with trying to find a signal.

LitenFast

WKR
Another vote for using your smartphone and a simple 20$ app, I used the GAIA app on my iphone 4, preloaded topo and sat images of my area before we left, and turned it on airplane mode it would last 2-3 days while also using as a camera and looking at pics of the fam when I was missing them. I also got a Newtrent itorch battery pack that recharges the phone 2-3 times to 100%. The phone is also a back up light too. It should save you some weight if you don't need extra batteries for gps and camera or the cam and gps.

kipper09

WKR
Seth,
Look on cabelas.. I just got on there website yesterday and they have a lot of good deals going on now.. I bought the Dakota 20 and it was $100 off.. Has pretty good reviews.. Hope it works. We will see..

burgerta

FNG
I used and Iphone 4 for the last 2 seasons in Alaska and Montana with the App below...
Plan on using a Iphone 5 this year in Ak again...I think it offers more features than handheld GPS units and can double as other things like light and camera as others have said. Accuracy of your location seems to be up to par for hunting situations.

http://scenicmap.blogspot.com/