Great Outdoor Books

lak2004

WKR
The Steve Rinella Books are great. Started with Meateater; Adventures from the life of an American hunter. Now I have the Complete Guide to hunting, butchering, and cooking Wild game, Volumes 1 and 2.
Just read American Buffalo: in search of a lost icon, and it was really good as well.

OP
huntingbigsky
Here are a couple that I really enjoyed.

Sheep & Sheep Hunting by Jack O'Connor

To Heck with Elk Hunting by Jim Zumbo

Hunting Adventures Worldwide by Jack Atcheson (For those who have not heard of Jack Atcheson he is a Montana outfitter and guide.)

More Tracks by Howard Copenhaver (2nd book)

They Left Their Tracks by Howard Copenhaver - Howard Copenhaver was a wilderness guide/outfitter in the Bob Marshall Wilderness for many many years. Both of his books are excellent reading.

I love both "They Left Their Tracks" books!

I'll also throw in "Wolves in the Land of Salmon."

It's wriiten by a professional trapper so, although he investigates the politics, it's not a propaganda piece for one side or the other. I've read a lot of books on wolves and this is by far and away the best.

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Empire of the Summer Moon is a Fantastic book. I grew up in a lot the country that the book took place. It's amazing to think what a wild ruthless place it was.

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
I really enjoyed the Old Man and the Boy by Ruark. On the humorous side, They Shoot Canoes Don't They by Patrick McManus has had me in stitches.

charvey9

WKR
All Rinnela's books have been great. American Buffalo and Scavenger's Guide were my favorite.

Any of the collections of Teddy Roosevelts short stories/essays.

The Education of a Bear Hunter by Ralph Flowers

A Man Made of Elk by David Petersen

Not hunting related, but Jon Krakauer has some good ones including Into the Wild, and Into Thin Air.

Green Hills of Africa by Hemingway
Longbows in the Far North by E. Donnall Thomas
A Thousand Campfires by Jay Massey

cody6510

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned before, Meateater is a great book. I think Rinella is a excellent author and I'm looking forward to reading some of his other stuff. However, I just picked up Robby Denning's book tonight and plan to read it over my Christmas vacation. Really looking forward to that.

MattB

WKR
"A Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold is the text for hunter 101. Surprised it is only mentioned once.

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Undaunted Courage is awesome.
Wild Men, Wild Alaska
Ramblings of a Low Country Game Warden
Meateater
American Buffalo

These are good places to start.