Great pieces from non hunting brands

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
I almost bought a vroomi but opted for the ll bean sweater.

Any more info you can add, what gram weight, Wright, durability etc ?
Here are the features listed. I knew little about voormi but decided to give it a chance. They are stiff at first but after 2 to 3 outings they really loosen up. This hoodie is done better than anything else I have tries. I am kinda a gear/clothes junkie. I spend the hole winter trying clothes and layers out. I need to put more time in with this Hoodie running it with a shell and different base layers. Sunday was -3, hiked in almost 3 miles in 4 to 6 inches of snow with the hoodie and FL llano and SG 35# pack. Stopped, she'd the pack and glasses for an hour and did not add another layer just what I wore hiking. Wanted to see how quickly it dries and how warm it was being wet in the back. I sat for 1 hour and glassed,filmed and took pictures and never once did I feel the cold on my back or anywhere else. Dried quickly, stayed warm while wet and while hiking it breathed extremely well.
b9f55b2f686d6d3d25194ed5226ce3fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
thanks for info, yes i recall getting hung up on two things, just didn't know what hardened wool meant, and 260 gram is about what a FL kiln is for fabric weight and didn't think it would be as warm as FL sawtooth and 330 grams.

slowelk

WKR
Usually around this time of year Costco brings out their 6 packs of the Kirkland merino wool blend socks. I wear these in Fall and Winter everyday to work and around the ranch. Awesome socks and super affordable for a merino sock.

I disagree with this. These socks used to be good. This year and last year's iteration are garbage. They are thinner and bunch up around your toes.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I disagree with this. These socks used to be good. This year and last year's iteration are garbage. They are thinner and bunch up around your toes.

Aw bummer. I still have 12 pair from a few years ago They are awesome...

They are known for updating products and making them worse so it's no surprise.

The PCU levels 1 and 2 base layers (powerdry, grid fleece) from Beyond Clothing

Military PCU level 4, 5, and 6 (windbreaker, soft shell, and vortex raingear) from Beyond Clothing and Patagonia

Arcteryx Leaf Naga pullover is like wearing a sleeping bag under your softshell. Fantastic when not on the move.

The PCU underwear with 3% silver recommended by Zap is bombproof. Dries quick and is comfortable.

Just ordered a couple pairs of the Eddie Bauer Pro Guide Pants for work from all the good reviews on here. Hopefully, I like them enough to get a couple more pairs for archery season.

My favorite mid layer ever is the Condor "Base II Zip Pullover" that can be had for $20. I wore it all through my time in the military and kind of forgot about them until this season. I've spent over 30 days in this thing this season and loved it. Its got a few holes now, but for $20 i'll just buy another one. If I was more careful I'm positive I could milk a few seasons out of one before having to replace it.

https://tacticalgear.com/condor-bas...qqSeA0h_hoCOS8QAvD_BwE#/26142/661,2394/1&dl=b

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got several Patagonia pieces that earn their keep during hunting season; Nunatak has covered my puffy jacket and pants needs.

Also Enlightened Equipment insulated mitts and beanie.

I do have a few Sitka pieces that are mainstays and just this year went w/ Kuiu gaiters, so not totally neglecting the hunting brands :)

the Patagonia pieces that I use are the military level 4 windshirt, more robust than their civilian version, military level 5 soft-shell pants- very nice mid-weight pants, level 6 rain pants- sturdy and very weatherproof

also just acquired a Nano Air Light hoody as an active insulation piece- will have to reserve judgment as I've only had it out a couple of times

RCB

WKR
I’ve used non hunting brands almost exclusively.
I use merino wool base layers. Marketing aside, I can’t tell a difference between one brand or another. So I just buy the cheapest earth tone color I can find that.
Earth tone Prana Brion pants, basically a slimmer version of the Zion.
Some old rei rain pants, rarely used. An outdoor research rain jacket.
Any earth tone fleece and puffy. I got a Patagonia down puffy on sale for a good price.
I’ve never purchased clothing form a premium hunting brand, but I can’t imagine it’s worth the extra price unless you really want camo. I rifle hunt in an orange vest and hat so camo seems like a waste of money.

Just a heads up to anyone that may care, Patagonia has been a large supporter of the "wildlife defense league," an anti-hunting group that successfully had grizzly hunting banned in British Columbia recently and is currently trying to do the same with black bear, cougar, lynx, bobcat, wolves and coyotes. We all vote with our dollar, I get pro rates on their gear and it most definitely is high quality stuff, I'm also as budget minded as they come but 10 times out of 10 I'll choose to support a company that isn't actively fighting against my rights as a hunter before I take advantage of the deals I get on their stuff.

204guy

WKR
I use a lot of non hunting brand stuff. I'm not brand loyal to anyone and I almost never pay full price for clothes.

Eddie bauer stuff is a good deal when they run their 40-50% of sales. The guide pants and shorts and the tall synthetic tees are good.

OR research ascendant hoody is also really good.

Arcteryx squamish is a nice wind shirt.

Black Diamond alpine start.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Vids

WKR
I'm not loyal to any brand, but I try to stay away from brands that I've heard are anti-hunting. (Don't remember the names but basically, I don't shop at REI) I typically use Sitka outer layers but for everything underneath it doesn't matter who makes it.

I found some great merino T's on Amazon, $20 a shirt, but the labels are worn off so I couldn't tell you who makes them now. Redram merino, Darn Tough Socks and Prana Zion pants as well.

My best find was when I was thinking about a puffy, and remembered my $75 LL Bean ski jacket has a liner very similar to a puffy. Gave it a try, it's light, packable and super warm. Free gear that you already own is the best.

fbhandler

WKR
I’ve used non hunting brands almost exclusively.
I use merino wool base layers. Marketing aside, I can’t tell a difference between one brand or another. So I just buy the cheapest earth tone color I can find that.
Earth tone Prana Brion pants, basically a slimmer version of the Zion.
Some old rei rain pants, rarely used. An outdoor research rain jacket.
Any earth tone fleece and puffy. I got a Patagonia down puffy on sale for a good price.
I’ve never purchased clothing form a premium hunting brand, but I can’t imagine it’s worth the extra price unless you really want camo. I rifle hunt in an orange vest and hat so camo seems like a waste of money.

Wish I could say that...

It’s definitely the direction I’m going, but I learn the hard way

I will say, that as far as quality, I’ve not been to disappointed. With enough/or good enough sales/promos I think their competitive, but I really do feel as if most of it is simply “marketing”. Once the latest generation of west bound, easterners realize that most of this stuff is already out there and has been, the bubble will burst so to speak. Just my opinion

Aqua Sage

FNG
Uniqlo Boxer Briefs for Base layer
Anything wool from thrift stores (Long johns, tops)
Second the 5.11 Pants own two
Kore 1.75" belt

Who makes an affordable waterproof glove? I’ve seen some 3mm neoprene ones on Amazon but don’t know if they’re any good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk